Advertisements
Has Chrysler/dodge gone cheap?

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By rob342

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 31 Dec 2012, 12:55 pm
Senior Cruiser

Default Has Chrysler/dodge gone cheap?

So i've been scouring repair shops trying to find the best price available on having nice 2" holes chopped through my floor, my rear Front Lower Control Arm mounting bolts torched off, then having new mounting hardware welded into the frame..

This is what i've come up with

VIP Auto: $599.99
Meineke : $700.00
Pep Boys $489.99
3 independent shops $500.00

Now heres the shocker.

Southern Maine Motors *used to be famous Jolly Johns*, Certified Dodge/Chrysler/Jeep DEALER!!.

............$320.00 Flat fee :-D

Which honestly baffles me. I mean i dread the dealer on most days, i stay far far away, becuase while most places charge $70 Per hour, the dealer charges $90-$100.

Now i ask the question. What has happened here? Since when is the Dealer cheaper than the little guy? Since when do they step up to the plate and shatter the pricing of every shop within 100 miles?

Has Daimler Chrysler gone cheap? Have the grown a heart? Im confused.......but i sure am happy
Old 31 Dec 2012, 01:40 pm
Senior Cruiser

Default Re: Has Chrysler/dodge gone cheap?

I think the non Chrysler shops are simply not as experienced in that particular task and are adding extra cushion just in case they run in to a snag. $300 and change is about right for the job.
Old 31 Dec 2012, 02:01 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

They obviously have done this before. I would not tell them that the other were higher. That will only make someone else pay more the next time. As with parts it pays to check all before laying down the cash.

But I'm curious why are you not attempting this your self? Locating the area over the bolt would take a little eyeballing the you could salvage the bolt and nut being you had it moving for a bit.

03 Dream stock___________________________ 04 Touring turbo lite stock_________ 02 Touring stock_____________________ The "Three Amigos"
__________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ ___________Performance, Body and Service, OEM

This Is my project page.
http://www.ptcruiserlinks.com/forum/...oject-1-a.html

This is a great read from one of our own! Badglas
badglas.blogspot.com
Old 31 Dec 2012, 04:39 pm
Veteran Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Busted_PT View Post
But I'm curious why are you not attempting this your self? Locating the area over the bolt would take a little eyeballing the you could salvage the bolt and nut being you had it moving for a bit.
^ i was wondering this too. i believe there's even a dimple in the floor so you know where to cut it.

IMO $300 is very reasonable, still, it's $300. i don't know how much you make, but i work a few full days for that.

if you cut the holes you can get to the nut. you probably wont even need the new bolts. if i had to do this i'd cut a ⊔ shape with my angle grinder and bend the metal up, and bend it back down afterwards. no welding involved.

for anyone attempting this in the future, my mechanic friend was very adamant about NOT using a breaker bar to loosen these on my car. granted the impact gun would not turn the bolt at first, after we cut the control arm off to heat the metal sleeve the bolt passes through directly, it finally came right out. the nut on the back never broke free and we never had to cut my floor, but i'm positive it would have if i had used a breaker bar on it.
Busted_PT likes this.

Last edited by rob342; 31 Dec 2012 at 07:50 pm.
Old 31 Dec 2012, 05:38 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by rob342 View Post
^ i was wondering this too. i believe there's even a dimple in the floor so you know where to cut it.

IMO $300 is very reasonable, still, it's $300. i don't know how much you make, but i work a few full days for that.

if you cut the holes you can get a socket on the nut. you probably wont even need the new bolts. if i had to do this i'd cut a ⊔ shape with my angle grinder and bend the metal up, and bend it back down afterwards. no welding involved.

for anyone attempting this in the future, my mechanic friend was very adamant about NOT using a breaker bar to loosen these on my car. granted the impact gun would not turn the bolt at first, after we cut the control arm off to heat the metal sleeve the bolt passes through directly, it finally came right out. the nut on the back never broke free and we never had to cut my floor, but i'm positive it would have if i had used a breaker bar on it.
I was thinking a hole saw the size of a nice big rubber plug. But both would be fine. Welding the nut wouldn't be required if you don't have the stuff.

03 Dream stock___________________________ 04 Touring turbo lite stock_________ 02 Touring stock_____________________ The "Three Amigos"
__________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ ___________Performance, Body and Service, OEM

This Is my project page.
http://www.ptcruiserlinks.com/forum/...oject-1-a.html

This is a great read from one of our own! Badglas
badglas.blogspot.com
Old 31 Dec 2012, 06:53 pm
Veteran Cruiser

I did this to the Neon, still haven't gotten it loose 'cause I quit for winter-
I HAD loosened them about 10 years ago and coated with #3 or anti-seize

Please no one quote me (someone hacked my account just to write this) but I'd take $300

Otherwise, drill hole and sawzall out access hole

Suckwad Prothanes:

Solid 'Spherical' bushings:
Old 31 Dec 2012, 07:39 pm
Cool Cruiser

Did it to my 99 Neon, just took some measurement from the rocker over and from the dash panel (firewall).

The Gen 2 Neons have the floor laid out for the repair already.

I would not be surprised it the PT's have it laid out also.
Red tint tails, chrome trimmed grille, custom towel rack buttonless flamed shifter, auto dimming rear view, Homelink remote transmitter, driver seat drawer, MOPAR sub, lowered 1" rear, MOPAR/Borla dual tipped exhaust, chrome trimmed GT gauge/airbag surround, front 35% tint, and the ever so important Fuzzy Dice
Old 01 Jan 2013, 09:45 pm
Senior Cruiser

I've already taken a 2 inch hole saw *chrysler recommended size* to both sides. The issue i need the welder is its so dang rusted that i cannot get the nut off the car, the mounting bracket thingey is extremely bent and needs to be removed.

What the dealer is going to do is fabricate a hunk of metal the exact same size as the interior of the frame, and tap and dye a hole straight through it, then set that over the hole :-) Then weld it in place. Then when he threads the bolt back through hes going to coat the part thats sticking out with axle grease really thick, so if i have to remove them again, once it starts turning out it will self-lubricate

that way it will NEVER break again. No way it could unless cracking 2 inches of steel can be done with an airgun or breaker bar haha.

Luckily for me the Lead Tech at this dealer has 40 years of experience on dodge's and created his own way of making it literally a 1 time fix.

I was just surprised that the dealer was the cheapest i found within 100 miles haha
Old 02 Jan 2013, 10:48 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Might be the others have worked stacked up and dealer is idle....
Hey, it happens...

'05 Limited Turbo Lite, (Silver, of course)4-wheel ABS, Sunroof, Spoiler. Mods: E&G Classic grill, K&N FIPK, BTG duals, rear lowered 1.5", LED washer lights, $20 catch can, Aoogah horn, Weatherflectors, Sunroof Deflector, Fuzzy Dice, rear logo flames, rear pinstripe graphic, Gen3 Taillights, rear sway bar, hood struts, Strut bar.
Traded in '02 Silver Touring Edition w/87,000 miles
Old 02 Jan 2013, 06:26 pm
Senior Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by quicksilverdon View Post
Might be the others have worked stacked up and dealer is idle....
Hey, it happens...
Either way im happy as a clam, i thought i was gonna be nearing $1,000. But not even $400 haha I wonder what else they are cheaper for as well.....hmmmmmmm i kinda want rear discs instead of drums...... lol