Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > General PT Cruiser Discussions

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
Low Buck Shifter Conversion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 31 Dec 2012, 07:33 pm
Cool Cruiser

Default Low Buck Shifter Conversion

Well after spending most of my time off playing on the computer looking for stuff to do to the PT, be it purchasing or getting ideas. I almost went and bought the Manual looking Automatic shifter conversion.

I believe it is Kustom Kruisers or something like that. But I figured 60 bucks was a little steep, especially when I do stuff like this for a living.

So I went on a mission to find "cheap" chrome tubing, which I did. A towel rack on closeout at a closing Kmart in my area ($7.50), went to the local "got everything" hardware store and picked up couple of 3/8-16-3/4 allen head bolts, and a few 6-32 set screws, along with a tap ($5.02).
I went ahead and measured the shaft, and button push to disengage distance on my "cobra head" shifter after removing the knob/shaft cover.

It worked out real well, to be able to tap into the head of the allen head bolt for set screws to lock onto the button on the shifter.
The tube from the tower rack worked out reeaal well too, the O.D. of the shifter is .502, and I.D. of the towel rack is .530, so about .028 clearance
With that and the head of the allen head being .550 O.D., it made for a nice interference fit for keeping the shift ball threads in place.
I also put a clearance hole in the chrome tube for the set screws, so with the set screws being outboard a bit it will help hold the bolt in place, which it don't really need from the .020 interference fit the bolt has, just call it a "just in case".

Here's some pics of the $12 dollar "cool shift ball" adapter, with the extra left over tubing and parts I bought for another "just in case" reason. I'll get some pics of it installed in the daylight tomorrow. Don't have a shift ball yet, gotta find something way cool...thinkin' flames of some sort

Funny thing, is it (according to their web site ) took them 5 months to design and prototype it. took me a half of a day to run around to local stores, take some measurements, then build it. I love doing this stuff.
( gotta give em credit for giving me the idea though )
Attached Images
File Type: jpg PT shifter 1.jpg (80.6 KB, 27 views)
File Type: jpg PT shifter 2.jpg (64.5 KB, 23 views)
File Type: jpg PT shifter 3.jpg (47.8 KB, 24 views)
Red tint tails, chrome trimmed grille, custom towel rack buttonless flamed shifter, auto dimming rear view, Homelink remote transmitter, driver seat drawer, MOPAR sub, lowered 1" rear, MOPAR/Borla dual tipped exhaust, chrome trimmed GT gauge/airbag surround, front 35% tint, and the ever so important Fuzzy Dice