• 2 Post By clydeive
  • 1 Post By pluminator
  • 1 Post By kpl1228

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 31 Dec 2012, 07:50 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Default newbie here: transmission problem

Hi all from NE Ohio, first post here:
2005 PT Cruiser convertible, base model, non turbo, automatic tranny.
Ran fine for days and days and days....but in the last couple of days the car was not shifting in cold weather after startup at all for a couple of days, but after a minute would shift no problem, and worked fine all day.
Now it's not shifting at all. It started up, ran ok for five minutes, and now does not shift at all. Went up to 5K RPM, and would not go into the highest gear. Fluid is dry. I'm about to refill fluid and we'll see. Maybe a leak somewhere.
One concern is that we recently had a rebuilt engine put in it, with 50K on the new engine, a month ago. It ran wonderful after that until this new issue, so I'm thinking there's not a correlation between the new engine replacement and the tranny.
I'm going to get it into the dry garage, out of the snowy driveway.
Thought? Comments?

Last edited by kpl1228; 31 Dec 2012 at 07:58 pm.
Old 01 Jan 2013, 03:56 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Default Re: newbie here: transmission problem

It is very possible that when they replaced the engine they forgot to refill the tranny. Normally to drop the engine you have to pull the half shafts as the engine drops out the bottom of the car. You always lose some oil that needs to be replaced when the job is finished. It is very important to use the recommended oil in the tranny. Adding fluid will most time fix it but if you are concerned you can drop the tranny pan and check for mettle or clutch material in the oil.
Old 02 Jan 2013, 08:02 pm
Fresh Cruiser

filled it with fluid, it's fine, but the check engine light is still on!!!!!! any ideas?
Old 02 Jan 2013, 09:05 pm
Senior Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by kpl1228 View Post
filled it with fluid, it's fine, but the check engine light is still on!!!!!! any ideas?
Turn the key from off to accessory and back 3 times, ending on accessory, this is the "key dance" it should show you what engine code you are pulling in the dash where the odometer is :-) Let us know the code and we can help you diagnose it.

Also usually most ECU's take about 100 miles of driving to reset, so it may just be showing the old code and has not self-cleared yet . If your wondering if that is the issue, disconnect the negative battery cable for 10-14 minutes then reconnect it, that resets the ECU :-)
Old 03 Jan 2013, 09:31 am
Cool Cruiser

Do you know if they did an Engine and tranny Swap .Maybe they lost fluid and didn't replace it .You don't want to run it low and it could need to be Flushed if it was that low. Good luck & hope it is something simple
Old 04 Mar 2015, 11:24 am
Fresh Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by pluminator View Post
Turn the key from off to accessory and back 3 times, ending on accessory, this is the "key dance" it should show you what engine code you are pulling in the dash where the odometer is :-) Let us know the code and we can help you diagnose it.

Also usually most ECU's take about 100 miles of driving to reset, so it may just be showing the old code and has not self-cleared yet . If your wondering if that is the issue, disconnect the negative battery cable for 10-14 minutes then reconnect it, that resets the ECU :-)
Sorry about the huge delay in response. It needed reset. It eventually cleared.
I guess I need to work on my PTcruiserlinks etiquette. I'll be better about responding quickly.
Old 04 Mar 2015, 03:11 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

I would suggest filling up the transmission oil to the proper level. Check and see where its leaking oil. Also if you don't know the engine trouble code that came up you should make sure you find out the next time if the engine light comes back on. When was the last time the transmission oil filter and oil was changed?
Old 05 Mar 2015, 01:14 am
Fanatic Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by ptcruisersteve View Post
I would suggest filling up the transmission oil to the proper level. Check and see where its leaking oil.
Probably from the torque converter housing on the 41TE transmission Steve. They have had problems with bad welds, consequently, creating a leak on the seam. I have a shop that rebuilds OEM's to fix the problems.