Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > General PT Cruiser Discussions

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
Mounting a battery quick-disconnect?

Like Tree2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01 Jan 2013, 03:57 am
Fresh Cruiser

Default Mounting a battery quick-disconnect?

My PT is now my airporter and sits in a parking lot, out-of-state, sometimes for months without being driven. Unfortunately, when I do need to use it, the battery is frequently weak or dead.

I'd like to mount a battery cable quick-disconnect but these typically mount directly to the battery terminals. Obviously, I can't remove the airbox every time I need to use the car.

Wondering if anyone here has come up with a convenient way to mount a battery quick disconnect on their PT?

Thanks.

Tipsy
Old 01 Jan 2013, 04:36 am
Fanatic Cruiser

Default Re: Mounting a battery quick-disconnect?

Pull the Ignition Off Draw (IOD) fuse...see the owner manual for details.
Old 01 Jan 2013, 02:26 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carl48 View Post
Pull the Ignition Off Draw (IOD) fuse...see the owner manual for details.
I suppose that's an option but I'm usually parking the car at 3am in a fairly dark parking lot. A proper disconnect would be much easier to manipulate.

I've been looking at pictures of the OEM battery harness on eBay. It looks like the negative cable has two lugs (two paths to ground). I'm not the best with electricity but I'm thinking if I place a disconnect on the negative side, it wouldn't be effective if there is still an intact path to ground. In other words, wouldn't both lugs need to be disconnected?

Tipsy
Old 01 Jan 2013, 04:43 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

You've been looking at the harness; here's where all the cables go...

- All decisions by the Moderator are semi-permanent, can and may be changed at his discretion but definitely will be the final word. Any action performed by the Administrator or Moderators are not to be discussed on the forum.
Old 01 Jan 2013, 06:17 pm
Veteran Cruiser

I installed a battery post disconnect (seen in pictures at link).
I find it easy to release the two air-box spring tabs and move the cover sufficiently to loosen the disconnect (you can even take the disconnect with you); no tools required.
ECU Reboot, Code Clear, Safety Switch

Quote:
Originally Posted by tipsymcstagger View Post
My PT is now my airporter and sits in a parking lot, out-of-state, sometimes for months without being driven. Unfortunately, when I do need to use it, the battery is frequently weak or dead.

I'd like to mount a battery cable quick-disconnect but these typically mount directly to the battery terminals. Obviously, I can't remove the airbox every time I need to use the car.

Wondering if anyone here has come up with a convenient way to mount a battery quick disconnect on their PT?

Thanks.

Tipsy
Old 01 Jan 2013, 06:39 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by sanatanadharma View Post
I installed a battery post disconnect (seen in pictures at link).
I find it easy to release the two air-box spring tabs and move the cover sufficiently to loosen the disconnect (you can even take the disconnect with you); no tools required.
ECU Reboot, Code Clear, Safety Switch
I'm nowhere near the car at the moment and didn't realize there was room or easy enough access to use a simple top post disconnect. I guess that's the best option.

Thanks for posting a link to your write-up.

Tipsy
Old 01 Jan 2013, 06:59 pm
Veteran Cruiser

these work good too if you want to make it even easier.

BWD S5404 - Cut-Off Swch | O'Reilly Auto Parts
Old 01 Jan 2013, 07:12 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by rob342 View Post
these work good too if you want to make it even easier.

BWD S5404 - Cut-Off Swch | O'Reilly Auto Parts
Something like that it was I originally had in mind when I started this thread but unless I'm mistaken, that unit requires a remote mounting position. Seems to me, installation would be more difficult because (1) it will be necessary to find a suitable mounting location and (2) cable extensions will be required.

Have you installed one of these, Rob? If so, am I missing something? How did you mount it?

Tipsy

Old 02 Jan 2013, 11:32 am
Veteran Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by tipsymcstagger View Post
Something like that it was I originally had in mind when I started this thread but unless I'm mistaken, that unit requires a remote mounting position. Seems to me, installation would be more difficult because (1) it will be necessary to find a suitable mounting location and (2) cable extensions will be required.

Have you installed one of these, Rob? If so, am I missing something? How did you mount it?

Tipsy

i had installed one of these in my mustang next to the license plate. the tech inspector told me i needed it because i had relocated my battery to the trunk. i later found out it was not NHRA legal because the red "key" was removable.(doh!)

anyways to answer your question about installing it, you could buy a short, already assembled battery cable to go from the battery to the switch, and the cars existing cable clamp would just need to be cut and a ring terminal installed in it place. i would make a small L bracket out of whatever you have lying around mount it right to drivers side cooling fan bolt or even right to the airbox itself.

it would require a little more effort on your part initially, but you'd be rewarded with less fooling around in dark parking lots in the future.

or, if you go sanatanadharma's route, you might use this as an excuse to buy a cold air intake or cheap shortram intake. then the airbox won't hide the battery. (:
Old 02 Jan 2013, 08:06 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by rob342 View Post
i had installed one of these in my mustang next to the license plate. the tech inspector told me i needed it because i had relocated my battery to the trunk. i later found out it was not NHRA legal because the red "key" was removable.(doh!)

anyways to answer your question about installing it, you could buy a short, already assembled battery cable to go from the battery to the switch, and the cars existing cable clamp would just need to be cut and a ring terminal installed in it place. i would make a small L bracket out of whatever you have lying around mount it right to drivers side cooling fan bolt or even right to the airbox itself.

it would require a little more effort on your part initially, but you'd be rewarded with less fooling around in dark parking lots in the future.

or, if you go sanatanadharma's route, you might use this as an excuse to buy a cold air intake or cheap shortram intake. then the airbox won't hide the battery. (:
Thanks. The problem is that the car lives in a parking lot and that limits my ability to work on it. I can't even get to the auto-parts store, once I have it apart. I need to stick with the KISS principle.

Insofar as a cold air intake; This is a bone stock 2002 Limited with 31K miles. Hell, I thought I should have had my head examined when I recently opted to spend $2K on a timing belt/water pump/upper engine mount change, as preventive maintenance. I don't think the car is worth much more than $2K. But it's now 10+ years old and has been reliable, so I figure if it lasts another 10 years as an airporter, I've gotten my $2K worth (and peace of mind).

I'm sure a cold air intake might be worth an extra 1/8 hp on this thing

Tipsy