PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
100k maintenance questions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02 Jan 2013, 12:17 am
Cool Cruiser

Default 100k maintenance questions

Hey everyone...

My PT just hit 100k miles. I have decided to keep this car indefinitely so I'm wanting to invest the money into her to hopefully get another 100k miles. I can say without a doubt that this car has been the BEST vehicle I have ever owned.

Here's a little history and what I've done to it...

Purchased March 2009 @ 44k miles
60k miles flushed transmission and replaced plugs/wires
77k miles replaced failed radiator fan (with aftermarket part)
77k miles drove from Savannah, GA to Seattle, WA (no troubles on trip!)
90k miles replaced tires (Goodyear Eagle GT)
91k miles replaced failed cam sensor
98k miles replaced failed radiator fan again (with Chrysler part)

I've ran nothing but Mobil 1 synthetic and have changed every 3,000 miles.

So... what do I need to do now? I know the obvious is the timing belt but I've read that I should also do the water pump too... what else? What all should I get done while it's all taken apart?

What about shocks? As far as I know they are still original. Should I change the plugs and wires? Anything else you can recommend? Should I avoid aftermarket parts? I'm thinking I should after the short life of the first replacement radiator fan. Should I go to the dealer or try to get this work done at mom and pops?

The car is running great and not giving me any problems I just want to get on top of things now and keep her running strong. I have the money to take care of everything with no problems but still want to obviously get the best deal possible. I've heard that timing belt work is all over the place on pricing.

Thanks in advance!
Old 02 Jan 2013, 12:21 am
Senior Cruiser

Default Re: 100k maintenance questions

The belt for sure, and yes the water pump while you're at it.... sounds to me IMHO like you're good to go other than that ..
Bit extreme with the oil changes I'd say, but that's just me. You finding the synth seeps anywhere at all ?
OH and always Mopar ... everyone will agree.. As for the Eagles, I found them great as long as temps and con'd were perfect, then they sucked, and wore out way too soon, what did you replace with ?
'03 GT Blue/ autostick.. 160,000KM ( That's 100,000miles for y'all South of the border ) All the options, the heated leather is a must up here in Canada, Love the solid heavy duty feel and obvious Torque.. The Turbo is strong, fast and reliable.. People that don't understand the love of a PT, probably don't deserve to.

Last edited by Vlefaive; 02 Jan 2013 at 12:23 am.
Old 02 Jan 2013, 12:28 am
Cool Cruiser

I haven't seen any oil seepage anywhere. I may have been a bit extreme with the oil changes you're right... they haven't been every 3,000 on the dot or anything.. some I've stretched closer to 4,000.

As far as the tires, the Eagle GTs were the replacements of the original Toyo Spectrums that were on the car when I bought it. I mainly got the Eagles because they were rated good for the rain and it's been known to rain a bit in western Washington.
Old 02 Jan 2013, 02:54 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Motor mounts, control arm bushings, ball joints, tie rods, and wheel bearings. Not all at one time. Motor mounts will be off at the timing belt change. 6k on the oil change wouldn't hurt anything. IMHO.

03 Dream stock___________________________ 04 Touring turbo lite stock_________ 02 Touring stock_____________________ The "Three Amigos"
__________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ ___________Performance, Body and Service, OEM

This Is my project page.
http://www.ptcruiserlinks.com/forum/...oject-1-a.html

This is a great read from one of our own! Badglas
badglas.blogspot.com

Last edited by Busted_PT; 03 Jan 2013 at 10:07 am.
Old 02 Jan 2013, 07:49 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Don't forget the drive belts (Serpentine / Alternator) and tensioners.

- All decisions by the Moderator are semi-permanent, can and may be changed at his discretion but definitely will be the final word. Any action performed by the Administrator or Moderators are not to be discussed on the forum.
Old 02 Jan 2013, 08:05 am
Obsessed Cruiser

radiator flush is a good idea
Old 02 Jan 2013, 10:39 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by CREWZIN View Post
Don't forget the drive belts (Serpentine / Alternator) and tensioners.
Yup.
And expect motor mounts to need replacing - and definitely do water pump with timing belt.
Probably time for another auto flush & plugs & wires - I would NOT use stock wires.

'05 Limited Turbo Lite, (Silver, of course)4-wheel ABS, Sunroof, Spoiler. Mods: E&G Classic grill, K&N FIPK, BTG duals, rear lowered 1.5", LED washer lights, $20 catch can, Aoogah horn, Weatherflectors, Sunroof Deflector, Fuzzy Dice, rear logo flames, rear pinstripe graphic, Gen3 Taillights, rear sway bar, hood struts, Strut bar.
Traded in '02 Silver Touring Edition w/87,000 miles
Old 02 Jan 2013, 05:46 pm
Cool Cruiser

Thanks for all the responses! I went to the dealer and the local mom and pop service center (good reputation) and here's the quotes I got:

Dealer:
Timing Belt + water pump + drive belts + labor (8.5 hrs @ $120 hr) = $1400
Cooling system flush = $140
Tranny flush = $180
Tax = $165
Total = $1885

Parts are warrantied for 1 year/12,000 miles.

Mom and pop:
Timing Belt + water pump + drive belts + labor (AFTERMARKET parts) = $1175
Cooling system flush = $70
Tranny flush = $130
Tax = $130
Total = $1505

Parts are warrantied for 2 years/24,000 miles. He said they could go with the Chrysler parts but the price would go up obviously and they would knock it down to the same dealer warranty.. 1 year/12,000 miles. If I do that the prices are going to be about the same at both places for the timing belt work. I'm thinking my best deal is getting the timing belt work done at the dealer and getting the secondary stuff done at mom and pops.

Also, the tires I bought new at 90k were rotated today. They told me the treadwear looked great and air pressure was all good as well so I'm assuming shocks are fine. Only other thing I would probably get looked at is the brakes... all appears well but I haven't had anything done to them since I've owned the car.

I also mentioned the motor mounts and both said it wouldn't be a problem to look at them. I didn't get a price on replacement. I also plan on replacing plugs and wires like I did last time... with platinum plugs and a wire kit from Autozone. They haven't given me any issues.

So anyway... thoughts?

Last edited by Travis2k7; 02 Jan 2013 at 05:50 pm.
Old 02 Jan 2013, 06:15 pm
Veteran Cruiser

i always try to go to the mom 'n pop shops. if it's somewhere you trust, i'd recommend going there. if for no other reason, it would help support a local small business. the aftermarket belt is probably made by Gates, which is a great belt. it's what i used on mine.

Last edited by rob342; 02 Jan 2013 at 06:22 pm.
Old 03 Jan 2013, 10:03 am
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by rob342 View Post
i always try to go to the mom 'n pop shops. if it's somewhere you trust, i'd recommend going there. if for no other reason, it would help support a local small business. the aftermarket belt is probably made by Gates, which is a great belt. it's what i used on mine.
I'm really thinking about it too... not only for local business support but because the dealership people are just plain rude....

I got the quote yesterday from mom and pop with nothing but smiles and respect... after I got home I called the dealership because I had an additional question that I didn't cover in person and I got a bunch of one word answers "Yes, Ok, No, Yes, Ok, Sure" like the person was too busy to talk to me.

I found it extremely annoying and rude and will probably take my business elsewhere.