Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > General PT Cruiser Discussions

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
Does the battery need a cover?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04 Jan 2013, 01:26 am
Young Cruiser

Default Does the battery need a cover?

I was cleaning the air filter for the first time tonight and realized that the previous owner had attached a battery cover to the Airaid air box. Other than a sense of asthetics, is there any reason for this? Is there any form of competition, autocross or something, that requires a modification like this?

Also, it seems like some tube that I thought was attached to the air box was just resting against it. At least I think it was, it doesn't seem to attach anywhere.
Old 04 Jan 2013, 02:48 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Default Re: Does the battery need a cover?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gru View Post
I was cleaning the air filter for the first time tonight and realized that the previous owner had attached a battery cover to the Airaid air box. Other than a sense of asthetics, is there any reason for this? Is there any form of competition, autocross or something, that requires a modification like this?

Also, it seems like some tube that I thought was attached to the air box was just resting against it. At least I think it was, it doesn't seem to attach anywhere.
Got a picture?

Dalai Lama
"Share you knowledge. It's the best way to achieve immortality."
ASE MASTER TECHNICIAN
Old 04 Jan 2013, 05:24 am
Senior Cruiser

Battery covers are usually used when the battery tie downs are not tied down, if the battery were to lets say "jump" and the posts were to touch the hood, it would short the circuit, shut down the car, and possibly implode said battery.

Now with the PT having the battery hidden UNDER the air cleaner box, i dont see how this could be possible, My Opinion is the previous owner put it there for aesthetics, autocross in a PT is most likely NOT a reality , subaru yes, PT no lol

If ya dont like it, get rid of it, if you like it, keep it :-) but generally its useless unless you have some type of engine bay modification that would cause metal to ground out your battery?
Old 04 Jan 2013, 08:20 am
Veteran Cruiser

crewzin mentioned there is a factory heat shield around the stock battery. mine is missing and my battery failed when it was 100* every day this summer. heat kills batteries. maybe it has to do with that.

or another guess

i needed a NHRA approved box when i put mine in the trunk of my beater. no reason to do it under the hood. maybe it was leftover from a more serious project an he thought it look nice.

>>
To the Rear

The NHRA requires that all vehicles competing in any sanctioned race must have the vehicle's battery box placed in the rear of the vehicle. The rear of the vehicle is anywhere behind the driver's seat or compartment. A popular place for vehicle owner's to place the battery box is in the vehicle's trunk.

Aluminum and Steel

The NHRA requires that a metal casing shield the driver's compartment from the battery. As of February 2011, the NHRA accepts both aluminum and steel battery boxes. Aluminum boxes must measure at least .032 inch thick and steel boxes must measure at least .024 inch thick.
Plastic Boxes

The NHRA requires that the battery be completely sealed off from the driver's compartment. Currently, the NHRA accepts only one brand of plastic battery boxes, which are sealed and held in place by 3/8-inch steel rods.

<<

Last edited by rob342; 04 Jan 2013 at 08:26 am.
Old 04 Jan 2013, 09:27 am
Obsessed Cruiser

No battery cover needed - on most cars you can easily spot the battery.
Hose to airbox is crankcase vent - probably a bit of oil diripping out the end... - no harm except it'll drip oil and make a mess.

'05 Limited Turbo Lite, (Silver, of course)4-wheel ABS, Sunroof, Spoiler. Mods: E&G Classic grill, K&N FIPK, BTG duals, rear lowered 1.5", LED washer lights, $20 catch can, Aoogah horn, Weatherflectors, Sunroof Deflector, Fuzzy Dice, rear logo flames, rear pinstripe graphic, Gen3 Taillights, rear sway bar, hood struts, Strut bar.
Traded in '02 Silver Touring Edition w/87,000 miles
Old 04 Jan 2013, 09:42 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by rob342 View Post
crewzin mentioned there is a factory heat shield around the stock battery. mine is missing and my battery failed when it was 100* every day this summer. heat kills batteries. maybe it has to do with that.

or another guess

i needed a NHRA approved box when i put mine in the trunk of my beater. no reason to do it under the hood. maybe it was leftover from a more serious project an he thought it look nice.

>>
To the Rear

The NHRA requires that all vehicles competing in any sanctioned race must have the vehicle's battery box placed in the rear of the vehicle. The rear of the vehicle is anywhere behind the driver's seat or compartment. A popular place for vehicle owner's to place the battery box is in the vehicle's trunk.

Aluminum and Steel

The NHRA requires that a metal casing shield the driver's compartment from the battery. As of February 2011, the NHRA accepts both aluminum and steel battery boxes. Aluminum boxes must measure at least .032 inch thick and steel boxes must measure at least .024 inch thick.
Plastic Boxes

The NHRA requires that the battery be completely sealed off from the driver's compartment. Currently, the NHRA accepts only one brand of plastic battery boxes, which are sealed and held in place by 3/8-inch steel rods.

<<
That's so in Drag Racing if you stop using the method or rolling over on your top the battery would not come flying forward and hit you in the head!

Dalai Lama
"Share you knowledge. It's the best way to achieve immortality."
ASE MASTER TECHNICIAN
Old 04 Jan 2013, 12:49 pm
Young Cruiser

Thank you. That's what I was thinking but I wanted to be sure.

As far as autocrossing being laughable in a PT, I would have agreed until I drove this one. At the very least, the previous owner has lowered it, put 17" rims on and a glasspack exhaust (along with the high flow filter, of course). There might be other modifictions but I haven't really spent any time down under.

Whatever has been done, the result is a very flickable vehicle. I am absolutely shocked. Its actually very easy to make this thing oversteer. It might even be a more usable oversteer since you don't need to be on the gas to make it happen. I can come into a turn hot, let off the gas, have the back end start to slide out, so I can get back on the gas sooner and keep it on through the end of the turn.

I know, head-to-head it probably wouldn't beat a Miata or something with more horsepower, but it would be fun to try. Anyway, if there is a class race where like vehicles go against each other, I feel confident that I would be competitive.
Old 04 Jan 2013, 12:53 pm
Fanatic Cruiser

If the cover is what I'm thinking it is, it's just an insulation. A lot of the heavy duty Ram trucks have inslation around the batteries to protect them from the cold, so they'll start in the winter.