PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
2.2 CRD 2006 not charging?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05 Jan 2013, 09:39 am
Fresh Cruiser

Default 2.2 CRD 2006 not charging?

Hello guys.

Got myself a PT Cruiser 2.2 CRD 2006 which stopped charging some day i drove it, and the batt. light came on. Just changed the alternator and the car is still not charging.
No output on the Alt what so ever. Really cant figure out the problem.
No P-Codes in the display, it only says "D0ne".
Hope you guys will help.

Morten
Old 05 Jan 2013, 09:47 am
Veteran Cruiser

Default Re: 2.2 CRD 2006 not charging?

double check the connectors, make sure they are seated properly.

assuming you have both connectors reattached to the alternator and the belt on, i would guess they gave you a bad alternator. i have gotten a dead one before. usually swapping it again is the easiest thing to try before you try to track down a wiring or ECU issue. now i have them tested before i leave the store

Last edited by rob342; 05 Jan 2013 at 09:49 am.
Old 05 Jan 2013, 09:56 am
Fresh Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by rob342 View Post
double check the connectors, make sure they are seated properly.

assuming you have both connectors reattached to the alternator and the belt on, i would guess they gave you a bad alternator. i have gotten a dead one before. usually swapping it again is the easiest thing to try before you try to track down a wiring or ECU issue. now i have them tested before i leave the store
Hi Rob

Already tried 2 alternators, both checked.
You know how many volt that should be coming out of the blue signal wire, that you connect to the alternator?
Old 05 Jan 2013, 10:43 am
Veteran Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by MortenC View Post
Hi Rob

Already tried 2 alternators, both checked.
You know how many volt that should be coming out of the blue signal wire, that you connect to the alternator?
i have nooooo clue. over here the alternator is connected different colored wires. i have no info available about the CRD models. from reading the stuff i copied and pasted below, it would appear that if you disconnected one of these wires(don't know which) it would go into safe mode and supply a 25% charge that you could measure. if you can get it to do that, it may help you isolate your problem.

hopefully someone more qualified in this can assist you. i'm not a certified technician by any means.

>>
The Electronic Voltage Regulator (EVR) is not a separate component. It is actually a voltage regulating circuit located within the Powertrain Control Module (PCM) . The EVR is not serviced separately. If replacement is necessary, the PCM must be replaced.

The amount of DC current produced by the generator is controlled by EVR circuitry contained within the PCM. This circuitry is connected in series with the generators second rotor field terminal and its ground.

Voltage is regulated by cycling the ground path to control the strength of the rotor magnetic field. The EVR circuitry monitors system line voltage (B+) and calculated battery temperature or inlet air temperature sensor (refer to Inlet Air Temperature Sensor, if equipped, for more information ). It then determines a target charging voltage. If sensed battery voltage is lower than the target voltage, the PCM grounds the field winding until sensed battery voltage is at the target voltage. A circuit in the PCM cycles the ground side of the generator field at 250 times per second (250Hz) , but has the capability to ground the field control wire 100% of the time (full field) to achieve the target voltage. If the charging rate cannot be monitored (limp-in), a duty cycle of 25% is used by the PCM in order to have some generator output.

<<
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 92784834.jpg (9.8 KB, 16 views)
Old 05 Jan 2013, 11:22 am
Fresh Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by rob342 View Post
i have nooooo clue. over here the alternator is connected different colored wires. i have no info available about the CRD models. from reading the stuff i copied and pasted below, it would appear that if you disconnected one of these wires(don't know which) it would go into safe mode and supply a 25% charge that you could measure. if you can get it to do that, it may help you isolate your problem.

hopefully someone more qualified in this can assist you. i'm not a certified technician by any means.

>>
The Electronic Voltage Regulator (EVR) is not a separate component. It is actually a voltage regulating circuit located within the Powertrain Control Module (PCM) . The EVR is not serviced separately. If replacement is necessary, the PCM must be replaced.

The amount of DC current produced by the generator is controlled by EVR circuitry contained within the PCM. This circuitry is connected in series with the generators second rotor field terminal and its ground.

Voltage is regulated by cycling the ground path to control the strength of the rotor magnetic field. The EVR circuitry monitors system line voltage (B+) and calculated battery temperature or inlet air temperature sensor (refer to Inlet Air Temperature Sensor, if equipped, for more information ). It then determines a target charging voltage. If sensed battery voltage is lower than the target voltage, the PCM grounds the field winding until sensed battery voltage is at the target voltage. A circuit in the PCM cycles the ground side of the generator field at 250 times per second (250Hz) , but has the capability to ground the field control wire 100% of the time (full field) to achieve the target voltage. If the charging rate cannot be monitored (limp-in), a duty cycle of 25% is used by the PCM in order to have some generator output.

<<
Hmm okay.
You know if i need to reset the fault codes, before it will start charging again then? To get it out of the safe mode