Advertisements
Car won't turn over

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By CREWZIN

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05 Jan 2013, 11:58 am
Fresh Cruiser

Exclamation Car won't turn over

So here's the problem I was driving down the road in my 2002 pt cruiser base model 2.4l went the car just shut off on me. Push Into a parking lot got someone to try jump it but it would not turn over at all. I have power to everything. But it just won't turn over. Clean the terminals made sure everything tight but still nothing. Finally got a mechine to come check it out and he's telling me I need to replace the timing belt which is a red flag since the cost to replace is so high. So I want to see if could be anything else or indeed it is the timing belt and I need to just bite the bullet on this.

This may matter or not but about a week but my pt make a kind of noise as I was driving home on christmas and a light came on the dash saiding the engine was running hot. So I stop check my fluids and they were all good. Got back into the car turn and started it drove down the road with no problems till the one start above. Thanks for any help and if anymore info is need I will try to provide it.
Old 05 Jan 2013, 12:34 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Default Re: Car won't turn over

Why are you doubting the mechanic? With a 2002 PT Cruiser your sure to be around the 100,000 mile mark or probably more. The belt should have been changed then, along with the water pump. You can always get a second opinion. Easiest way to tell is to take off the Camshaft position sensor and see if the cam is turning when you try and start the engine. if it doesn't spin, the belt is gone.
mityqwik likes this.

- All decisions by the Moderator are semi-permanent, can and may be changed at his discretion but definitely will be the final word. Any action performed by the Administrator or Moderators are not to be discussed on the forum.
Old 06 Jan 2013, 08:12 pm
Fresh Cruiser

The reason of doubt comes with the that facts him saiding it was a timing chain. Which I pretty sure the pt uses belts not chain and the fact that he said the chain was going to run me a 100 dollar which is waay over price since I search of my local auto parts store quoted me at $26.19 for the chain and $35.19 if it is indeed a belt. Which makes me believe he's trying to take advantage of my lack of knowledge. This is the reason for my doubt and why I want to see if it could be just a simple fix compare to a high dollar one.
Old 06 Jan 2013, 08:18 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

OK, you said "belt" on your first post. Try the Camshaft sensor approach and it will tell you if the "belt" is broke.

- All decisions by the Moderator are semi-permanent, can and may be changed at his discretion but definitely will be the final word. Any action performed by the Administrator or Moderators are not to be discussed on the forum.
Old 06 Jan 2013, 08:23 pm
Regular Cruiser

If the timing belt breaks, the engine will still turn over, it just won't start.
Old 06 Jan 2013, 08:37 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Yes, the engine will still turn over but the cams won't turn (so you can see that when you pull the sensor) and definitely won't start.

Old 06 Jan 2013, 08:40 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Thanks I'll check it in the morning and hope for the best