PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
Abs and trac lights on

Like Tree9Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07 Jan 2013, 03:52 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Angry Abs and trac lights on

I know a lot of people have had this problem and I can't find a direct answer to what's wrong. My abs and trac control lights are on in my 2001 pt cruiser. I've had it tested and it says hydrolic pump circuit malfunction. Please help and let me know what's happening. Car has 168k and still runs strong.
Old 07 Jan 2013, 03:56 pm
Cool Cruiser

Default Re: Abs and trac lights on

I have a 2001 also.. I bought it used with those same lights on. Asked the service dept. where I bought it to check it out, and they couldn't determine why. I've driven it with them on for 50,000 more miles with no trouble. If I find out anything I'll let you know, but it seems like a mystery

Busted_PT left this on my thread:
Quote:
Also abs and trac use the same sensors so check the plug connectors and wiring first.
So there's something to consider.

Last edited by mnahmnah; 07 Jan 2013 at 04:00 pm.
Old 08 Jan 2013, 06:26 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Usually, it's a bad ABS sensor at a wheel. I don't know how he did it, but my mechanic found ou which one was bad and replaced it & taht was that.
I have also read that there is a toothed disk at each wheel that the sensor "looks" at, and sometines that toothed disk gets damaged.
What means of testing was used to determine "hydraulic pump circuit malfunction" - and why didn't whoever tested it tell you what's wrong and fix it?

By the way, that was the only problem I've had with my PT, and the other day it passed 111,111 miles....
Yes, I replaced plugs and wires and timing belt/water pump/other belts.

'05 Limited Turbo Lite, (Silver, of course)4-wheel ABS, Sunroof, Spoiler. Mods: E&G Classic grill, K&N FIPK, BTG duals, rear lowered 1.5", LED washer lights, $20 catch can, Aoogah horn, Weatherflectors, Sunroof Deflector, Fuzzy Dice, rear logo flames, rear pinstripe graphic, Gen3 Taillights, rear sway bar, hood struts, Strut bar.
Traded in '02 Silver Touring Edition w/87,000 miles

Last edited by quicksilverdon; 08 Jan 2013 at 06:29 am.
Old 08 Jan 2013, 09:28 am
Fresh Cruiser

It was tested through the abs system itself not the cheap test at the stores, it's been doing this for a year on and off when it was raining or snowing but now it's stuck on and trying to stop in snow is like driving a 70's camero. So I have to get it fixed. Seems like one problem after another. Owned 4 yrs was a show car when purchased with 40k but I do drive this thing long and hard still love it after all other problems I've had . Checked all fuses and wiring yesterday with nothing out of norm and reset battery and the mechanic tried resetting abs with code not resetting with tester either
Old 08 Jan 2013, 10:02 am
Fresh Cruiser

I do all the work myself on pt. unless I can't and the test was done by a buddy that work at Midas. He is not sure on code either because if hydraulic pump was bad it tell in my breaking of the car. But that's the code
Old 08 Jan 2013, 10:17 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Denvercruiser View Post
I do all the work myself on pt. unless I can't and the test was done by a buddy that work at Midas. He is not sure on code either because if hydraulic pump was bad it tell in my breaking of the car. But that's the code
That is totally incorrect. The pump you're referring to is not your master cylinder its the abs pump. The big box that all the lines run into for the abs. also you are feeling it in your braking. You said you are having wheel lock under braking on snow.

03 Dream stock___________________________ 04 Touring turbo lite stock_________ 02 Touring stock_____________________ The "Three Amigos"
__________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ ___________Performance, Body and Service, OEM

This Is my project page.
http://www.ptcruiserlinks.com/forum/...oject-1-a.html

This is a great read from one of our own! Badglas
badglas.blogspot.com
Old 08 Jan 2013, 11:14 am
Fresh Cruiser

Yes the box under the master is what I'm talking about. With the lights on the system is shut down. It only locked up in snow once and the light just turned on and car went straight. Light shut off and car stopped sliding and turned. I have tried to lock up breaks on gravel and seems like it kicks in fine very little lockup, just like it should and that is with lights on. Your right about I would be feeling it in brakes when car locked up but I should feel it when I jam on brakes at 50 trying to lock them up too. Right?

Last edited by Denvercruiser; 08 Jan 2013 at 11:50 am.
Old 08 Jan 2013, 12:05 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

If the wheel sensors are all ok then you may have a problem with the ABC controller. Not sure why the mechanic at Midas did not find this out? Although it is usually certified Brake Technicians that operate the diagnostic equipment there?

If the light is on you need to simply remember what it was like to drive a pre 80s" vehicle. Brake sooner then usually and try not to panic stop because you will lock up all the wheels.

In some states you can not re register your vehicle with a ABS light on.

I might add that in the case of anything brake related concerning cautionary light(s) or any abnormal operating condition coming to a forum for help is ill-advised. This is for the safety of not only yourself but everyone that shares the road with you.
Get someone in the Automotive Brake Certified Service to properly look over your brake system and diagnosis the problem.
dougs likes this.

Dalai Lama
"Share you knowledge. It's the best way to achieve immortality."
ASE MASTER TECHNICIAN

Last edited by NitroPT; 08 Jan 2013 at 12:18 pm. Reason: added last line
Old 08 Jan 2013, 12:22 pm
Fresh Cruiser

All he did was check codes. Had 3 of 4 wheel sensors, hydro pump circuit, and 2 other things. All was due to brakes locking up. After reset just the pump circuit malfunction showed. All the wheel sensors were fine after we drove. He said hydro pump was out unfortunately this is a pt cruiser and nothing is what it seems on them. Or at least mine and something about the way it started I can't see a pump not working from getting wet.

And I understand not trusting a form, safety first but when everyone has the same problem someone has to have a solution.
Busted_PT likes this.

Last edited by Denvercruiser; 08 Jan 2013 at 12:31 pm.
Old 08 Jan 2013, 06:24 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Denvercruiser View Post
All he did was check codes. Had 3 of 4 wheel sensors, hydro pump circuit, and 2 other things. All was due to brakes locking up. After reset just the pump circuit malfunction showed. All the wheel sensors were fine after we drove. He said hydro pump was out unfortunately this is a pt cruiser and nothing is what it seems on them. Or at least mine and something about the way it started I can't see a pump not working from getting wet.

And I understand not trusting a form, safety first but when everyone has the same problem someone has to have a solution.
Having a certification doesn't mean he can do squat. It means he passed the tests. There is a difference mechanical ability and book smart. And it can't be thought. It has to be enhanced.
mnahmnah and spiral like this.

03 Dream stock___________________________ 04 Touring turbo lite stock_________ 02 Touring stock_____________________ The "Three Amigos"
__________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ ___________Performance, Body and Service, OEM

This Is my project page.
http://www.ptcruiserlinks.com/forum/...oject-1-a.html

This is a great read from one of our own! Badglas
badglas.blogspot.com

Tags
abs, trac off