Advertisements

Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > General PT Cruiser Discussions

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
Does My PT's Engine look/sound okay?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07 Jan 2013, 10:10 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Default Does My PT's Engine look/sound okay?

Hey guys like i said i got my pt a while ago. Just wanted to make sure nothing was missing and that everything sounded okay! its an 03 non-turbo all i have done upgrade wise is the intake. Please let me know if you notice anything sounding funny or something missing all together! Thanks in advance guys!

Old 07 Jan 2013, 11:09 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Default Re: Does My PT's Engine look/sound okay?

Sounds a little noisey to me, but can't tell you whats making that sound.

- All decisions by the Moderator are semi-permanent, can and may be changed at his discretion but definitely will be the final word. Any action performed by the Administrator or Moderators are not to be discussed on the forum.
Old 07 Jan 2013, 11:11 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

haha...ok first of all let me preference this with credentials. I have been for 30 years and currently updated ASE Master Technician among other things. I get ytube of sound effects often from everything you can think of car, truck motorcycle and even a couple planes that I do regular maintenance on . Rarely unless there is an obvious problem can I pick out issue lessening to these? I would love someone to say other wise and define what they think they hear.

Recorded sound has a quality all to the influence of the recording artist.

We have communicated a bit here on the forum and IMO you seem to know what you are doing and have somewhat of a mechanical aptitude so I ask you does your engine sound ok to you? If not be specific and we can discus it. You can also pm me if that works better for you?

Otherwise nice ytube!

Dalai Lama
"Share you knowledge. It's the best way to achieve immortality."
ASE MASTER TECHNICIAN
Old 07 Jan 2013, 11:28 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by NitroPT View Post
haha...ok first of all let me preference this with credentials. I have been for 30 years and currently updated ASE Master Technician among other things. I get ytube of sound effects often from everything you can think of car, truck motorcycle and even a couple planes that I do regular maintenance on . Rarely unless there is an obvious problem can I pick out issue lessening to these? I would love someone to say other wise and define what they think they hear.

Recorded sound has a quality all to the influence of the recording artist.

We have communicated a bit here on the forum and IMO you seem to know what you are doing and have somewhat of a mechanical aptitude so I ask you does your engine sound ok to you? If not be specific and we can discus it. You can also pm me if that works better for you?

Otherwise nice ytube!
Well I do have a kind of pinging noise going on. Not constantly but mostly when it's cold. And i am planning on going to school next year to start on the road to becoming a technician! If you have any suggestions and tips on how together there I would be very great full!
Old 07 Jan 2013, 11:41 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Youngmaninanoldmanscar View Post
Well I do have a kind of pinging noise going on. Not constantly but mostly when it's cold. And i am planning on going to school next year to start on the road to becoming a **technician! If you have any suggestions and tips on how together there I would be very great full!
If you are actually describing ping then get another qualified opinion from a local technician that can physically hear the engine. if you can hear pre-ignition then the engine has been doing it long before the human ear can hear it. but you may have a piston dome or combustion chamber carbon build up that can easily be removed.

**Look up read about pre-ignition and you should get a good idea what I am talking about as well you may be able to self diagnosis and either rule it out or take action to rid of it.
If after you do some research you have more questions or concerns about pre-ignition (pinging) we will be around on the forum for more advise answers?...

Dalai Lama
"Share you knowledge. It's the best way to achieve immortality."
ASE MASTER TECHNICIAN
Old 08 Jan 2013, 08:50 am
Cool Cruiser

sounds like an ignition ping but as stated above sound quality from videos can skew our opinions. how does the car perform? is it lazy or does it seem to be "normal" how does it sound at higher RPM??

and for sh!ts and giggles is there anything hitting the electric fan??
Old 08 Jan 2013, 11:19 am
Senior Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdskinner731 View Post
sounds like an ignition ping but as stated above sound quality from videos can skew our opinions. how does the car perform? is it lazy or does it seem to be "normal" how does it sound at higher RPM??

and for sh!ts and giggles is there anything hitting the electric fan??
My skewed opinion says it sounds like the oil isnt really reaching the upper lifters, which makes sense with the "cold" issue you said.

Try using 1/2 a quart of lucas oil stabilizer on your next change, its heaver than oil so it will sit at the bottom of the oil pan, thus lifiting the oil into the upper engine :-) *common 2.4 issue* :-)
Old 08 Jan 2013, 11:38 am
Obsessed Cruiser

that is good( I add a quart of lucas every other oil chage) or try a qusrt of the Marvel Mystery oil the red stuff i switch every other oil change between lucas and that I ahve nothing to back up that it does or does nto work but since its my car and i liek it thats what i do--i dont think it can hurt
Old 08 Jan 2013, 11:39 am
Fresh Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by pluminator View Post
My skewed opinion says it sounds like the oil isnt really reaching the upper lifters, which makes sense with the "cold" issue you said.

Try using 1/2 a quart of lucas oil stabilizer on your next change, its heaver than oil so it will sit at the bottom of the oil pan, thus lifiting the oil into the upper engine :-) *common 2.4 issue* :-)
Yeah i was doing some research last night. Seemed like it was lifters pinging but they are not completely bad. Will this cause any problems in the future?
Old 08 Jan 2013, 11:39 am
Senior Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by cruserdad1976 View Post
that is good( I add a quart of lucas every other oil chage) or try a qusrt of the Marvel Mystery oil the red stuff i switch every other oil change between lucas and that I ahve nothing to back up that it does or does nto work but since its my car and i liek it thats what i do--i dont think it can hurt
Yes marvels is great too, just add it BEFORE you change your oil, like a week before. then flush it out when you change the oil. Marvels is great stuff but if it stays in a motor for 3-5k. it can damage the seals slowly ;-D