PT Cruiser Forum  
Advertisements

Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > General PT Cruiser Discussions

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
Round 8-pin cable connector in interior - what is it?

Like Tree2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09 Jan 2013, 01:54 pm
Cool Cruiser

Default Round 8-pin cable connector in interior - what is it?

There's this metal cable connector (?) with 8 holes in it, one in the center, sticking out from the floor upholstery between the passenger seat and the passenger door. It doesn't have much room to travel. What is it for? I can post a pic if needed. It looks like an old style round PC keyboard connector if you're old enough to remember those. This one is black.
Old 09 Jan 2013, 02:42 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Default Re: Round 8-pin cable connector in interior - what is it?

im gonna say it was something aftermarket cant imagion it being there from the factory but post a pic who knows
Old 09 Jan 2013, 02:52 pm
Cool Cruiser

yea... post a pic of this. i wonder if its some kind of CB cable? or a car phone jack??
Old 09 Jan 2013, 03:12 pm
Cool Cruiser

I forgot---It's on a 2001 LE. Heated seat? I don't think I have that, but...

Last edited by mnahmnah; 09 Jan 2013 at 03:20 pm.
Old 09 Jan 2013, 04:13 pm
Veteran Cruiser

Default Lap topping 2002

You nailed it, vintage laptop keyboarding on the broadway.
Sound control, says Major Tom,earphoned passenger, silenced driver.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mnahmnah View Post
There's this metal cable connector ... looks like an old style round PC keyboard connector if you're old enough to remember those. This one is black.
Old 09 Jan 2013, 04:21 pm
Cool Cruiser

I'd say cb or similar (ham radio ect...)
Old 09 Jan 2013, 04:41 pm
Veteran Cruiser

sometimes people that own cars do strange things. people in PT's are definitely no exception.

when i got my car there was a powerstrip under the passenger seat, the cord ran under the center console to beneath the drivers seat. an extension cord ran from under the driver seat back to the rear cargo area. another cord ran to who knows where. there are 2 LED's mounted in the console for no reason. there was a printed label indicating maximum MPH for each gear stuck to the gauge bezel(sometimes it may be better not to know
why stuff is there). i've also found a failed attempt at installing aftermarket cruise control, complete with a magnet on the axle and more random wiring to nowhere. there were also two metal spikes pointing directly at my knee caps. i was told that they were for a KEYBOARD TRAY. i'd take a picture, but i have removed them prior to driving the car. i couldn't imagine they'd be good in an accident.

if that were in my car i would assume it was in fact a DIN connector for a keyboard. i would tuck it back where you found it, and forget it exists.

curiously, do you see any screw holes or tape marks for where a CB hand reciever may have been mounted?

usually cb's have like, four pins.
http://www.gearslutz.com/board/attac..._positions.jpg

Last edited by rob342; 09 Jan 2013 at 05:12 pm.
Old 09 Jan 2013, 05:08 pm
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by rob342 View Post
sometimes people that own cars do strange things. people in PT's are definitely no exception.

when i got my car there was a powerstrip under the passenger seat, the cord ran under the center console to beneath the drivers seat. an extension cord ran from under the driver seat back to the rear cargo area. another cord ran to who knows where. there are 2 LED's mounted in the console for no reason. there was a printed label indicating maximum MPH for each gear stuck to the gauge bezel(sometimes it may be better not to know
why stuff is there). i've also found a failed attempt at installing aftermarket cruise control, complete with a magnet on the axle and more random wiring to nowhere. there were also two metal spikes pointing directly at my knee caps. i was told that they were for a KEYBOARD TRAY. i'd take a picture, but i have removed them prior to driving the car. i couldn't imagine they'd be good in an accident.
That is nuts! Wow! Uh, keyboard tray?

I'm tempted to follow it... It looks like there was a second molded upholstery layer put down over it, cut off halfway underneath that seat. The car's not running, so I have lots of time to poke around now.

& no.. When I bought it, it was really clean inside, no holes or anything odd. But it makes me want to go look again!
Old 09 Jan 2013, 05:13 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

By the picture I am going to say the previous owner ran a Blaupunt stereo Amplifier?

I have a 80's Blaupunt Amplifier that took an 8 pin adapter like the one pictured.
Even today those amp were clean and powerful.

Dalai Lama
"Share you knowledge. It's the best way to achieve immortality."
ASE MASTER TECHNICIAN
Old 09 Jan 2013, 05:29 pm
Veteran Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by NitroPT View Post
By the picture I am going to say the previous owner ran a Blaupunt stereo Amplifier?

I have a 80's Blaupunt Amplifier that took an 8 pin adapter like the one pictured.
Even today those amp were clean and powerful.
uuh.. i'd say it's a match.

8 Pin Clarion Kenwood Audiovox Sony Data CD Male to Female Extender Cable 1 5M | eBay
Busted_PT and NitroPT like this.