Advertisements
dash light question

Like Tree2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10 Jan 2013, 03:15 pm
Cool Cruiser

Default dash light question

01 pt 174xxx miles auto

looking for some info on the dash lights. i keep noticing that the back light above the "60" on the speedometer is out. last night i hopped in my car for a trip to the store and noticed that the light was working and had no issues??
this has happened before (it wont work for a while then "BAM" its working) never really bothered me but any idea on how to fix it??
Old 10 Jan 2013, 03:19 pm
Senior Cruiser

Default Re: dash light question

probably time to replace the bulb...

my guess is that the filament is broken and making intermittent contact, causing the bulb to go on and off.

2001 PT Cruiser 5-speed; 1976 Oldsmobile Cutlass S; 1990 Chevy 454SS; 1995 Caprice Classic woody
www.rcktpwrd.com
Old 11 Jan 2013, 04:19 am
Senior Cruiser

In here you can see some pictures when I did mine!

ROCKETMAN MOD'S
Old 11 Jan 2013, 03:03 pm
Veteran Cruiser

i just ordered white because i drive around late at night on the weekends. when im next to a cop at 3am i don't want them to see bright blue aftermarket lights emanating from the dash cluster.

i saw rocketman's they look really cool but with blue bulbs it seems like the red needles don't transmit the light?

Last edited by rob342; 20 Jan 2013 at 08:48 am.
Old 11 Jan 2013, 03:28 pm
Cool Cruiser

Oh no.. One more thing on my 01 that needs fixing. I've never seen it lit!

Old 14 Jan 2013, 11:00 am
Cool Cruiser

Yea i kno about the led lights. i just havent seen a color i like. blue leds aint for me they drive me nuts ( i think theyre lights from the po-po coming after me...)

anyone with pics of different color leds post some pics so i can visualize what they would look like plz!
Old 19 Jan 2013, 01:31 pm
Veteran Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdskinner731 View Post
Yea i kno about the led lights. i just havent seen a color i like. blue leds aint for me they drive me nuts ( i think theyre lights from the po-po coming after me...)

anyone with pics of different color leds post some pics so i can visualize what they would look like plz!

my white LED's just arrived. below is a picture of how they look.

i am going to order regular bulbs and put those in instead. i ordered red LED's too, all they light up is the needles. everything else looks dark. the white ones light up the gauges OK but only light up half the needles, and it still looks blue. i think it looks pretty stupid with 2 bright needles and 2 dark needles. honestly- i wish i never bothered.

in my opinion, the best and only way to properly change the color of the backlight would be to remove the gauge faces, scrape the blue green crap off the back of the faces, and recover the backs with a translucent vinyl film instead of using colored lights. everything will be the color you want and will be colored brightly and evenly. i have done this before and i know it looks great. downside to this is you have to pry the needles off and disassemble the cluster. i broke the shaft of my gas gauge needle once doing this to a honda, so i'm not sure if i care enough to try it again.

my conclusion: it only takes about 10 minutes to get the cluster out and about 10 minutes to get it back in. regular bulbs are where it's at. if you need to spend half an hour changing a bulb once every five years, it's no big deal. i havent seen a picture on here yet where LED's have provided bright faces and bright needles

look how bright the needles are in my signature. that's the stock bulbs with one burned out.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Capture.JPG (66.7 KB, 519 views)

Last edited by rob342; 19 Jan 2013 at 02:47 pm.
Old 06 Feb 2013, 07:39 pm
Veteran Cruiser

update to my LED upgrade. the ebay lights i got are junk. i put them in january 19th. as of tonight, february 6th, only two are still working. it's funny, i replaced all the bulbs because i couldn't see my gas gauge. now that is all i can see.

i took one unused LED lamp apart to see what the problem is, and i figured it out when it fell apart in my hand. the resistor solder joints are not properly soldered. i guess that is why they always worked great for me in the past, i always soldered those myself. last time when i made my own LED bulbs, i used resistors with different color bands which is why they were brighter.

live and learn i suppose.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Capture.jpg (69.4 KB, 160 views)
Old 09 Mar 2013, 08:24 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by rob342 View Post
my white
my conclusion: it only takes about 10 minutes to get the cluster out and about 10 minutes to get it back in. regular bulbs are where it's at.

How do you manage to take the cluster out in 10 minutes?
2002 Ltd Ed, Original Owner, Currently 20X,XXX miles, Optima Red75/35, Airaid Air filter, Energy Suspension urethane bushings, Shift Boogers, Monroe Struts, MSD, LED front turn signals and all rear lights.
I have gotten 30 mpg when I had a long commute in 2006-7, but the mileage has dropped to the mid 20's and it's consuming a quart of oil a month.
Old 09 Mar 2013, 09:13 pm
Senior Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by SillyRobot View Post
How do you manage to take the cluster out in 10 minutes?
half hour minimum. and that's IF you're lucky.