PT Cruiser Forum  
Advertisements
       

Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > General PT Cruiser Discussions

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
Engine died while driving, now won't turn over. Need help finding problem

 
Like Tree1Likes

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1 (permalink)  
Old 10 Jan 2013, 08:39 pm
Fresh Cruiser
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Little Rock, AR
Posts: 35
Default Engine died while driving, now won't turn over. Need help finding problem

I was driving on the highway (70 mph) and the engine suddenly shut off. It felt like it went into first gear at the same time, the engine revved up really high and I then put it in neutral. I coasted to the side of the road and now it won't do anything when I turn the key. No noise or clicking of any kind. It has 110,000 miles on it and I've had it since 100,000 miles were on it.

I'm afraid the engine is seized up or something like that, but I'd like some help finding the most likely problem (engine seized, transmission bad, timing belt, starter...). I don't think it's the starter because that wouldn't cause it to suddenly shut off while driving. I'm not sure about the timing belt, but I tried to pull back the cover enough to see it. It looks like it's still intact and when I press on it, it feels like the belt is still tight. But I don't have enough clearance from pulling back the cover to see it in entirety.

I removed the valve cover and took some pictures, here is an album of them: 2005 PT Cruiser Convertible 2.4L Turbo Engine - Imgur

Does anybody have a good guess at the problem? I can post more pictures or answer anything else about the car. Thanks
Reply With Quote
  #2 (permalink)  
Old 10 Jan 2013, 09:03 pm
Busted_PT's Avatar
Obsessed Cruiser
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Beckley, W.V.
Posts: 13,901
Default Re: Engine died while driving, now won't turn over. Need help finding problem

Quote:
Originally Posted by ingram87 View Post
I was driving on the highway (70 mph) and the engine suddenly shut off. It felt like it went into first gear at the same time, the engine revved up really high and I then put it in neutral. I coasted to the side of the road and now it won't do anything when I turn the key. No noise or clicking of any kind. It has 110,000 miles on it and I've had it since 100,000 miles were on it.

I'm afraid the engine is seized up or something like that, but I'd like some help finding the most likely problem (engine seized, transmission bad, timing belt, starter...). I don't think it's the starter because that wouldn't cause it to suddenly shut off while driving. I'm not sure about the timing belt, but I tried to pull back the cover enough to see it. It looks like it's still intact and when I press on it, it feels like the belt is still tight. But I don't have enough clearance from pulling back the cover to see it in entirety.

I removed the valve cover and took some pictures, here is an album of them: 2005 PT Cruiser Convertible 2.4L Turbo Engine - Imgur

Does anybody have a good guess at the problem? I can post more pictures or answer anything else about the car. Thanks
I believe you through rod. I only say this because of the the rev thing. Had similar thing happen once. I would see if you can turn the crank buy the bolt. Pull the plug it will make it easier.
__________________

03 Dream stock___________________________ 04 Touring turbo lite stock_________ 02 Touring stock_____________________ The "Three Amigos"
__________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ ___________Performance, Body and Service, OEM

This Is my project page.
http://www.ptcruiserlinks.com/forum/...oject-1-a.html

This is a great read from one of our own! Badglas
badglas.blogspot.com
Reply With Quote
  #3 (permalink)  
Old 10 Jan 2013, 09:08 pm
jrbsr05pt's Avatar
Fanatic Cruiser
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Columbus, Oh
Posts: 512
Default Re: Engine died while driving, now won't turn over. Need help finding problem

You can check the timing belt by removing the cam shaft sensor and have someone try to start it. If it doesn't turn the it could be your timing belt. But then again you said its not turning over at all. So that probably won't help. Just figured I'd throw that out there just in case
__________________
2005 n/a 5 speed. 177365 miles. spectre cold air intake, white and pink leds under dash and back seats, purple leds in vents, wall with 1 18" subwoofer built behind back seat(soon to be either 16 American bass vfl8's or 4 18's with the wall rebuilt all the way to behind the front seats,cant wait!!!), blue dash lights, pink turn signal indicators. 3D tails and tinted backup lights. Power antenna (that no longer has power ha!) another one gone but wont be forgotten

2003 gt turbo. 130245 miles. autostick, mopar riceplate, 3" o2 housing and downpipe. custom diablo tune (totaled, gone but not forgotten)

2003 dream cruiser. autostick, mopar body kit, mopar bov, cai. s1 injectors. mopar s1 pcm. 3" 02 housing and downpipe installed from last turbo, upper IC hardpipe more on its way soon.......... diablo tuner in the near future.
Reply With Quote
  #4 (permalink)  
Old 10 Jan 2013, 09:14 pm
quicksilverdon's Avatar
Obsessed Cruiser
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: Felton, Delaware
Posts: 20,501
Default Re: Engine died while driving, now won't turn over. Need help finding problem

Based on your description - sounds like tranny went - disconnected engine from tranny - you say it felt like a downshift and engine revved high. (except you say engine died, so how could engine rev high??)
Maybe now it doesn't see that tranny is in Park, which would keep it from turning starter.
If it was timing belt, starter would still turn.
Any engine codes?
__________________
"Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life,
nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge."
Isaac Asimov"

'05 Limited Turbo Lite, (Silver, of course)4-wheel ABS, Sunroof, Spoiler. Mods: E&G Classic grill, K&N FIPK, BTG duals, rear lowered 1.5", LED washer lights, $20 catch can, Aoogah horn, Weatherflectors, Sunroof Deflector, Fuzzy Dice, rear logo flames, rear pinstripe graphic, Gen3 Taillights, rear sway bar, hood struts, Strut bar.
Traded in '02 Silver Touring Edition w/87,000 miles
Reply With Quote
  #5 (permalink)  
Old 10 Jan 2013, 09:19 pm
jrbsr05pt's Avatar
Fanatic Cruiser
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Columbus, Oh
Posts: 512
Default Re: Engine died while driving, now won't turn over. Need help finding problem

Quote:
Originally Posted by quicksilverdon View Post
If it was timing belt, starter would still turn.
I know. That's why I said what I said wouldn't help but figured I'd go ahead and post it anyways because the fellar said he tried pulling back the cover and wanted to let him and whoever else that may read this, that there is an easier way.
__________________
2005 n/a 5 speed. 177365 miles. spectre cold air intake, white and pink leds under dash and back seats, purple leds in vents, wall with 1 18" subwoofer built behind back seat(soon to be either 16 American bass vfl8's or 4 18's with the wall rebuilt all the way to behind the front seats,cant wait!!!), blue dash lights, pink turn signal indicators. 3D tails and tinted backup lights. Power antenna (that no longer has power ha!) another one gone but wont be forgotten

2003 gt turbo. 130245 miles. autostick, mopar riceplate, 3" o2 housing and downpipe. custom diablo tune (totaled, gone but not forgotten)

2003 dream cruiser. autostick, mopar body kit, mopar bov, cai. s1 injectors. mopar s1 pcm. 3" 02 housing and downpipe installed from last turbo, upper IC hardpipe more on its way soon.......... diablo tuner in the near future.
Reply With Quote
  #6 (permalink)  
Old 10 Jan 2013, 09:32 pm
Fresh Cruiser
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Little Rock, AR
Posts: 35
Default Re: Engine died while driving, now won't turn over. Need help finding problem

Quote:
Originally Posted by Busted_PT View Post
I believe you through rod. I only say this because of the the rev thing. Had similar thing happen once. I would see if you can turn the crank buy the bolt. Pull the plug it will make it easier.
I will try this, I'll have to figure out how to do this first
Reply With Quote
  #7 (permalink)  
Old 10 Jan 2013, 09:35 pm
Fresh Cruiser
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Little Rock, AR
Posts: 35
Default Re: Engine died while driving, now won't turn over. Need help finding problem

Quote:
Originally Posted by quicksilverdon View Post
Based on your description - sounds like tranny went - disconnected engine from tranny - you say it felt like a downshift and engine revved high. (except you say engine died, so how could engine rev high??)
Maybe now it doesn't see that tranny is in Park, which would keep it from turning starter.
If it was timing belt, starter would still turn.
Any engine codes?
Yes, the engine shut off and it immediately felt like it went in 1st gear. The engine shut off, but since it was in a low gear and I was on the highway, it made that high rev noise
Reply With Quote
  #8 (permalink)  
Old 10 Jan 2013, 09:49 pm
quicksilverdon's Avatar
Obsessed Cruiser
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: Felton, Delaware
Posts: 20,501
Default Re: Engine died while driving, now won't turn over. Need help finding problem

Quote:
Originally Posted by ingram87 View Post
Yes, the engine shut off and it immediately felt like it went in 1st gear. The engine shut off, but since it was in a low gear and I was on the highway, it made that high rev noise
That sounds different. If engine seized, I would think starter would click and try to turn...
Have you tried for codes??
How to retrieve fault codes.
__________________
"Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life,
nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge."
Isaac Asimov"

'05 Limited Turbo Lite, (Silver, of course)4-wheel ABS, Sunroof, Spoiler. Mods: E&G Classic grill, K&N FIPK, BTG duals, rear lowered 1.5", LED washer lights, $20 catch can, Aoogah horn, Weatherflectors, Sunroof Deflector, Fuzzy Dice, rear logo flames, rear pinstripe graphic, Gen3 Taillights, rear sway bar, hood struts, Strut bar.
Traded in '02 Silver Touring Edition w/87,000 miles
Reply With Quote
  #9 (permalink)  
Old 10 Jan 2013, 09:59 pm
Fresh Cruiser
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Little Rock, AR
Posts: 35
Default Re: Engine died while driving, now won't turn over. Need help finding problem

Quote:
Originally Posted by quicksilverdon View Post
That sounds different. If engine seized, I would think starter would click and try to turn...
Have you tried for codes??
How to retrieve fault codes.
The check engine light is not on, and when i check for codes, there aren't any returned.
Reply With Quote
  #10 (permalink)  
Old 10 Jan 2013, 10:08 pm
Fresh Cruiser
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Canada
Posts: 13
Default Re: Engine died while driving, now won't turn over. Need help finding problem

I bet you its a fuse. Sounds stupid I know but the same thing happen to me. I believe its fuse #15.
Reply With Quote
Reply


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Weird rumbling noise in dashboard when I turn over the engine/ turn off the engine... thinkinboutit Tech & Performance Forum 5 22 Jan 2014 08:23 pm
2001 Died while driving compguy Tech & Performance Forum 3 07 Aug 2013 11:43 am
2003 PT Cruiser died while driving tlm Tech & Performance Forum 6 24 Sep 2011 01:47 pm
Engine died while driving, Blown ASD fuse & VERY Hot MyCruiserHatesMe Tech & Performance Forum 11 10 Aug 2011 08:50 am
02 PT died won't turn over mschneider Tech & Performance Forum 3 20 Apr 2011 01:32 pm


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 01:49 am.




Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.2
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
LinkBacks Enabled by vBSEO 3.6.0 PL2 © 2011, Crawlability, Inc.
vB.Sponsors