PT Cruiser Forum  
Advertisements

Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > General PT Cruiser Discussions

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
Cranks not start, died on fwy in slow traffic, how to rule out crankshaft p.s.

Like Tree3Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 14 Jan 2013, 12:52 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Default Cranks not start, died on fwy in slow traffic, how to rule out crankshaft p.s.

Hi folks... I have read through at about a dozen recent posts and tried to search for a similar problem and none of them sound similar enough to mine (that i came across), so I would appreciate any help or information...

model - PT Cruiser 2003 Touring, non-turbo
mileage - 161,000 , (have owned the car from mileage yrs 110,000 until now - yes i know its old but i was trying to save money)

before it "died"- was in slow stop and go traffic on freeway and it simply died. heard warnings dings but that was all (no revving up like in another post). this has never happened before.

By "died," i mean, engine stopped running (pressing gas pedal of course did nothing), but lights were still on, music was still on. I then tried to restart the car while but when i did, i heard nothing, not even cranking. car was towed home.

problem - after slow charging the battery to try to drive the car to the shop, it cranks, but does not start. i also notice that when i try to press the gas pedal, i hear nothing.

error codes - i tried the 3x switching from acc to on position, (tried it in different ways with a pause in between and removing key in between to make sure i was doing it right) - with the key on "on" 3x and watching the odometer the 3rd time it was on "on" - but only mileage showed up.

previous codes have shown a sensor issue, but was also told that it might never go away since that error code always came iup -- (i have tried changing the camshaft sensor, changing the gas cap, and anything else others try to recommend).

history of the problem - for 1.5 -2 years now, the car has sometimes had problems starting, but only after hitting a bump in the road. after readjusting the cables from the battery to the alternator, it seemed to have always solved the problem before. the engine dying this way was the first time it every happened.

history of troubleshooting/ fixes - car mechanics have tried to figure out the problem but to no permanent solution...this is what has been done over the years -
- the battery connections/terminals have been replaced twice most recent was about 2 months before problem,
- the current battery is less than a year old or at most, a year and a half
- i had a recent tune up, within less than 2 weeks before this happened -- so i dont think its a spark plug related issue?
- around the time of the tune up, the mechanics also checked the fuel pressure and they said it was fine, again about a week and a half before the car died
- the mechanics at this time also checked the alternator (i'm not sure how) and they said it was fine
- what the mechanics did say was that the problem is most likely "electrical" but yet when the car died, the lights and music stayed on and even after I got help to pull to the side of the road, the lights and everything on my panel could still be turned on. (im sorry if that has nothing to do with it.)
- Also, they ignition and key had to be replaced about 5 years ago so i doubt it has anything to do with the chip no longer working.. and again the car cranks but does not start
- camshaft sensor was replaced about 5 years ago
- error codes - (pls see above)

How can I rule out that it is not the crank shaft position sensor? I have checked youtube for videos and after reading some posts, could this be it?

Also, how can i rule out its not a fuse issue? What do mechanics mean when they say "it's electrical"?

Thanks for any help you could offer. I dont know much. If it is the crankshaft position sensor, then i can save money to pay for medical needs and try to do it myself. I can't even drive it to the shop anyway unless i buy another battery, but would rather just fix the car than invest in another battery.
Thanks again.

Last edited by AstitchINtime; 14 Jan 2013 at 01:00 pm. Reason: clarification
Old 14 Jan 2013, 12:58 pm
Fanatic Cruiser

Default Re: Cranks not start, died on fwy in slow traffic, how to rule out crankshaft p.s.

The first thing that comes to mind for me is a broken timing belt. Did you check that?
Old 14 Jan 2013, 01:04 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Default Re: Cranks not start, died on fwy in slow traffic, how to rule out crankshaft p.s.

Thanks for your reply - do they not check the timing belt during the tune up?

The tow truck driver said, that it sounded like the alternator. i tried to start the car again when i got home.
Old 14 Jan 2013, 01:46 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

OK the no cranking thing in the begining had me wondering. you need to have a strong battery to crank. No that you have it to were it dose makes me think you may be fighting more than one thing. The new is the most important right now. If you can't get the codes read then we will try to rule out the belt . If you can remove the two bolts that hold the cam sensor in. Then get someone to crank and watch and see if anything turns while cranking if so belt is not broken. But it will register a code for that sensor. If it hasn't already. That's why you need to try and read the codes. If it lost power to the computer then all codes would have been lost anyway.

03 Dream stock___________________________ 04 Touring turbo lite stock_________ 02 Touring stock_____________________ The "Three Amigos"
__________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ ___________Performance, Body and Service, OEM

This Is my project page.
http://www.ptcruiserlinks.com/forum/...oject-1-a.html

This is a great read from one of our own! Badglas
badglas.blogspot.com
Old 14 Jan 2013, 02:02 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

[QUOTE=AstitchINtime;462556]Thanks for your reply - do they not check the timing belt during the tune up?

No i may have missed how many miles
Old 14 Jan 2013, 02:03 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

opps ii see it now so when was the timing belt donw?? at 160 its kind of inbetween if it was done at 100,000 or so
Old 15 Jan 2013, 10:08 am
Fresh Cruiser

Thank you @Busted PT and @Cruserdad1976

I'll try checking the timing belt that way -- last time i replaced the camshaft sensor, i just replaced it without anyone cranking. So I would be looking for movement while cranking?
Old 15 Jan 2013, 10:10 am
Fresh Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Busted_PT View Post
OK the no cranking thing in the begining had me wondering. you need to have a strong battery to crank. No that you have it to were it dose makes me think you may be fighting more than one thing. The new is the most important right now. If you can't get the codes read then we will try to rule out the belt . If you can remove the two bolts that hold the cam sensor in. Then get someone to crank and watch and see if anything turns while cranking if so belt is not broken. But it will register a code for that sensor. If it hasn't already. That's why you need to try and read the codes. If it lost power to the computer then all codes would have been lost anyway.
So after removing the 2 bolts just watch for movement? Was it the fact that pressing the gas doesnt rev up the engine that clues you in to the timing belt?

Thanks
Old 15 Jan 2013, 10:16 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by AstitchINtime View Post
So after removing the 2 bolts just watch for movement? Was it the fact that pressing the gas doesnt rev up the engine that clues you in to the timing belt?

Thanks
After removing the two cam sensor bolts, pull sensor out of head. The magnet will be seen. Watch for this to turn.

03 Dream stock___________________________ 04 Touring turbo lite stock_________ 02 Touring stock_____________________ The "Three Amigos"
__________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ ___________Performance, Body and Service, OEM

This Is my project page.
http://www.ptcruiserlinks.com/forum/...oject-1-a.html

This is a great read from one of our own! Badglas
badglas.blogspot.com
Old 15 Jan 2013, 10:41 am
Fresh Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Busted_PT View Post
After removing the two cam sensor bolts, pull sensor out of head. The magnet will be seen. Watch for this to turn.
Alright, will update. thank you.
Busted_PT likes this.