PT Cruiser Forum  
Advertisements

Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > General PT Cruiser Discussions

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
Air conditioning popping noise and low refrigerant.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 15 Jan 2013, 10:35 am
Fresh Cruiser

Default Air conditioning popping noise and low refrigerant.

Hey guys, driving a 2008 PT CRUISER with about 75,000 miles. For a few months now I've noticed a POP when I first turn the car on and the A/C is first used. Does not happen independently of the A/C so I am PRETTY sure it's the A/C causing the noise.

Also, I had a low refrigerant charge a few months ago, and I filled it, only to lose the refrigerant again a few weeks later. I've filled it a few times.

I searched the forum and came across this response:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CREWZIN View Post
By pop-off valve I take you mean the high pressure release valve. It shouldn't go off at all if everything is working right. When it does go off, it usually means there's too much pressure in the system caused by excess heat. 9 times out of 10 it's because the fan isn't doing it's job, but there are other reasons also.

By the way, everytime that relief valve opens, it expels a little bit of R134a to relieve the pressure in the system. If yours is doing that all the time, your probably low in R134a by now and you shouldn't feel the ice cold air coming out of the vents like when the system is full.

I believe the normal idle without the A/C on is about 750-800 RPMs. If the A/C os ON, the PCM adjusts the idle up by means of the IAC another 100-200 RPM's to adjust for the power loss from the A/C.
SO if I am having the RELIEF VALVE making that popping noise because of some kind of pressure build up, that would be expelling my refrigerant, correct?

So my question is, WHAT is causing this to happen? I notice that the popping noise gets louder the longer between uses of the A/C. In the morning it's VERY loud, but if I don't use it for a few hours, it can be a small pop.

When the user above said it was "the fan" do they mean the regular fan in the front of the car? Mine has been replaced TWICE.

Does anyone know any OTHER causes?
Old 15 Jan 2013, 12:42 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Default Re: Air conditioning popping noise and low refrigerant.

Yes, I meant the regular fan that's attached to the radiator. It not only cools the coolant but also the compressor. You've had it replaced twice, did you find out why? Most owners only have to replace the OEM fan once and they don't have a problem any more.

Try this, On a cool morning, start the car without the A/C on, upon the hood and you'll see the fan isn't running. Now turn the A/C on and take a look at the fan again. It's supposed to be running now, every time the A/C is turned on, as I said, to keep the compressor cool. If the fan isn't running, there's yor problem of the compressor overheating.

- All decisions by the Moderator are semi-permanent, can and may be changed at his discretion but definitely will be the final word. Any action performed by the Administrator or Moderators are not to be discussed on the forum.
Old 15 Jan 2013, 01:24 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by CREWZIN View Post
Yes, I meant the regular fan that's attached to the radiator. It not only cools the coolant but also the compressor. You've had it replaced twice, did you find out why? Most owners only have to replace the OEM fan once and they don't have a problem any more.

Try this, On a cool morning, start the car without the A/C on, upon the hood and you'll see the fan isn't running. Now turn the A/C on and take a look at the fan again. It's supposed to be running now, every time the A/C is turned on, as I said, to keep the compressor cool. If the fan isn't running, there's yor problem of the compressor overheating.
Fan seems to be operating at normal capacity. Any other ideas?
Old 15 Jan 2013, 01:34 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

No, sorry. Might be time for a professional look at it.

- All decisions by the Moderator are semi-permanent, can and may be changed at his discretion but definitely will be the final word. Any action performed by the Administrator or Moderators are not to be discussed on the forum.
Old 03 Apr 2015, 01:50 am
Fresh Cruiser

Mine does this too, after about 10 mins after turning the car on (i.e. when its warmed up), a noticeable clap can be heard from the HVAC area. Everything works fine, and it only makes the sound once per day or less.. I think its probably just a flap opening that maybe has a slightly stuck actuator, so that it initially can't open but then overcomes whatever is stopping it, then it snaps open/shut, or maybe some insulation has disappeared on the edges that it touches. This is of course pure speculation, but it seems fairly benign, i have been referred to air conditioning services sydney so i will update with new changes whatever they will suggest me.
Mark
Old 20 Apr 2015, 01:25 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Yeah, my ' 06 does this to. 67K miles, never had an a/c recharge. Could a low refrigerant level do this? Very disconcerting to hear this pop - usually on the first start of the morning, then disappears for the day. Sounds like a large stone hitting the bottom of the car. I can actually feel it in the floorboards.
Old 20 Apr 2015, 07:30 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by 6828oakl View Post
Yeah, my ' 06 does this to. 67K miles, never had an a/c recharge. Could a low refrigerant level do this? Very disconcerting to hear this pop - usually on the first start of the morning, then disappears for the day. Sounds like a large stone hitting the bottom of the car. I can actually feel it in the floorboards.
When the engine is cold and immediately after you start the engine and turn on the A/C does the radiator fan come on?