Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > General PT Cruiser Discussions

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
DTC 401, rough idle and dumb question

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 16 Jan 2013, 09:03 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Default DTC 401, rough idle and dumb question

Hello All...I am new here and new to Crysler products...i always had Ford Ranger's before my PT. As such i am not on deck yet as to how these things are all put together.

2002 PT 4cly manual trans, 65,000 miles. Out of the blue it starts idling rough, almost to the point of dying. I though i had gotten some bad gas but then a day later DTC401.

okay, so i am looking for the EGR valve and i think i find it. Took out the air filter can so i could have a good look while the car was running. Can't find any vacuume leak so i stuck my hand-pump vacuume tool on the valve and give it some negative pressure...all of a sudden the car is running fine and applying vacuume to the valve makes it run bad again; which is what i would expect since its cold and heck outside. I am guesing the valve was a little stuck and will need replaced or i just happened to stick my hand on something that made everything run...we will see what happens tomorrow on the comute to work.

Dumb question time...As stated, i have the air filter can out..I see something not right..The shifter cable has a large plastic round thing at its termination that seems to be missing some kinda insert that goes over the metal lever on the top of the trans...and the cable next to it (not sure what it is connected to) is about half busted...so my stick shift cable is just setting on this lever by the grace of gravity (no wonder it's been a little weird getting into reverse)...is this a comon thing to break? is it just a simple instert i can get?...what the heck is it called and do you think its a dealer only part?...also input on the DTS401 would be awesome.

BTY, after having a Ranger for 375,000 miles and I do miss having a truck; I do love my little blue PT
Old 16 Jan 2013, 09:39 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Default Re: DTC 401, rough idle and dumb question

For your code, here an older post where changing out the EGR valve helped clear the code.

Error Code 0401

On the shift linkage, I've seen where the bushing do wear out and need to be replaced. I'll let someone with a manual tell you more about it.

- All decisions by the Moderator are semi-permanent, can and may be changed at his discretion but definitely will be the final word. Any action performed by the Administrator or Moderators are not to be discussed on the forum.