Any Ideas/Suggestions?

Like Tree4Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 22 Jan 2013, 08:17 am
Fresh Cruiser

Question Any Ideas/Suggestions?

Good Morning All!

Was glad to find a PT Cruiser help site! ((:

I have 2005 PT Cruiser basic with 50,000 miles.

Last Friday when huddy went to start it - it had a lil hiccup then started - this happend both times it was started that day. On Saturday Morining I took into the dealer for a standard oil change and when I started it - it also did this small hiccup and started.

Well when I got to the dealer they was a mix up with my pre-paid oil change and paper work and I forgot to ask them to check the hiccup. So anyways after the oil change they tell me that I have a leaking head gasket that would need replaced along with timing belt and water pump for a total of $2100 - made an appt to have this done next week need to get a 2nd opnion because besides the hiccup the last day there has been nothing wrong that we could tell at all.

On Sunday when it did the hiccup again I stopped at the auto part store to test the battey and its tested that it needed chanrged, however there machine was busy so didnt get it charged and the guy thought it would be good till Wednesday when I could get back.

So now it is Tuesday morning and it wont start at all and just clicks - Does anyone think this could have to do with the leaking head gasket or a whole different problem? And if so your best guess for that problem?

thanks so much!
Old 22 Jan 2013, 08:49 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Default Re: Any Ideas/Suggestions?

Think I would hold off on the head job. The hiccup needs further defining. But sounds like you have dirty cable connections. I would start with the one's on the battery. Then the ground connection on the inner finder to the right of you as you look at the battery. This may be enough to get you going. I would be surprised if you really do need a head gasket. Did they give a reason for this diagnosis?
mnahmnah and mspammy like this.

03 Dream stock___________________________ 04 Touring turbo lite stock_________ 02 Touring stock_____________________ The "Three Amigos"
__________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ ___________Performance, Body and Service, OEM

This Is my project page.
http://www.ptcruiserlinks.com/forum/...oject-1-a.html

This is a great read from one of our own! Badglas
badglas.blogspot.com
Old 22 Jan 2013, 09:02 am
Banned

Unhappy Re: Any Ideas/Suggestions?

I can't help you, the word hiccup was used so many times I got distracted by it
Old 22 Jan 2013, 09:04 am
Senior Cruiser

I agree. It is either the cables or the battery. How old is the battery?
Old 22 Jan 2013, 09:17 am
Fresh Cruiser

I think the battery is 3 to 4 years old, both battery terminals were pretty croated the other day and were cleaned.

I know that in the past 1 terminal always would get croated and I would need to clean it every couple months.

On the gasket - they did not give me the reason why, you dont even talk to the mechanic they lady at checkout gives you what its needs and the cost....
Old 22 Jan 2013, 09:19 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Welcome to the "hiccup" forum.

"hiccup" Time for a new Battery....."hiccup hiccup"

"hiccup"Then go to a shop that there are actually (experienced and certified) mechanic's to personally talk to, not part jocks and get a real engine examination and assessment!

"hiccup hiccup hiccup hiccup hiccup hiccup hiccup hiccup hiccup hiccup hiccup hiccup hiccup hiccup hiccup hiccup hiccup hiccup hiccup hiccup hiccup hiccup hiccup hiccup hiccup hiccup hiccup hiccup hiccup hiccup hiccup hiccup"........ auhh !! all better now!

Dalai Lama
"Share you knowledge. It's the best way to achieve immortality."
ASE MASTER TECHNICIAN
Old 22 Jan 2013, 09:54 am
Obsessed Cruiser

I would go over all the connections on the cables. As for your belt and pump. The age limit has passed but milage is only half the normal life. And you should shop around for a good mechanic shop. Ask if they have done this before on these. As it's a pain in the butt. But for now I would find out what the reason for the diagnosis for this. A phone call should be sufficient. If not then I would be very wary of this dealer. It would be good info to have if you go get a second opinion. It would be good to explain exactly what happens when you are referring to hickup. Might give insight to some of your issues.

03 Dream stock___________________________ 04 Touring turbo lite stock_________ 02 Touring stock_____________________ The "Three Amigos"
__________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ ___________Performance, Body and Service, OEM

This Is my project page.

badglas.blogspot.com
Old 22 Jan 2013, 10:03 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by NitroPT View Post
Welcome to the "hiccup" forum.

"hiccup" Time for a new Battery....."hiccup hiccup"

"hiccup"Then go to a shop that there are actually (experienced and certified) mechanic's to personally talk to, not part jocks and get a real engine examination and assessment!

"hiccup hiccup hiccup hiccup hiccup hiccup hiccup hiccup hiccup hiccup hiccup hiccup hiccup hiccup hiccup hiccup hiccup hiccup hiccup hiccup hiccup hiccup hiccup hiccup hiccup hiccup hiccup hiccup hiccup hiccup hiccup hiccup"........ auhh !! all better now!

Poor Busa's head will really be spinning.

This Is my project page.

badglas.blogspot.com
Old 22 Jan 2013, 10:04 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Clicking without cranking is a sure sign of a battery problem - either connections or battery itself (or both).
definitely find out reason for head gasket diagnosis. IF you do need a head gasket, then it makes sense to have timing belt changes since it has to come off to do the head gasket anyway.....

'05 Limited Turbo Lite, (Silver, of course)4-wheel ABS, Sunroof, Spoiler. Mods: E&G Classic grill, K&N FIPK, BTG duals, rear lowered 1.5", LED washer lights, $20 catch can, Aoogah horn, Weatherflectors, Sunroof Deflector, Fuzzy Dice, rear logo flames, rear pinstripe graphic, Gen3 Taillights, rear sway bar, hood struts, Strut bar.
Traded in '02 Silver Touring Edition w/87,000 miles
Old 22 Jan 2013, 10:24 am
Banned

It's the same feeling I get when people talk to me and every other word is "like"

QUOTE=Busted_PT;463463]Poor Busa's head will really be spinning.[/QUOTE]