Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > General PT Cruiser Discussions

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
No lights! Gremlins?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 23 Jan 2013, 09:31 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Default No lights! Gremlins?

'04 PT Touring, 130K miles. Left home after daylight, so didn't notice for a while that all my lights were out - headlights, fog lights, dash lights - when I got to work I pulled out the owners manual - 40A fuse #10 under the hood looked like the culprit (lights and door locks, also dead), so I swapped it with #9 (a spare). Turned on the light switch, still nothing. Door lock just clicked a relay. As it was about 7 degrees and windy, I stopped there!

Thought about calling somebody to look at it, but decided to take another look at lunch time. All fuses looked OK... then I noticed the lights were on, dim... Oh CRAP! Yeah, battery was almost dead... after a jump start I drove it for a few miles in lower gears to charge it back up. And of course the gremlins had hooked up whatever they had disconnected... all lights and door locks worked fine.

So... any ideas? What's between the battery connection and fuse #10 - is there a welded connection that could have popped? A wire connector? If it was at the fuse, I would had it at first try - I looked in the Haynes manual, but it's for the Euro version, different fuse box. I have the Chrysler diagnostic manuals, but doubt they'll be any help here!

Last edited by tbavis; 23 Jan 2013 at 09:35 pm.
Old 24 Jan 2013, 03:51 am
Veteran Cruiser

Default Re: No lights! Gremlins?

Yes, when nothing's wrong it's hard to diagnose!!!

You did say battery was very low?
And was the original fuse actually bad?
Old 24 Jan 2013, 10:58 am
Fresh Cruiser

40A fuse was fine, battery was low because lights had come back on. I am thinking now there was a bad connection at the output terminal of the engine fuse box or input side of the inside fuse box - the one I DIDN'T look at... still, hard to imagine that kind of connection (8-10 gauge wire, BIG contact) going intermittent.
Old 24 Jan 2013, 11:09 am
Senior Cruiser

Gremlins!? whatever you do......dont get your PT wet!. Seriously if its gremlins you will be sorry :-p

Check the fusable links :-D those tend to cause lots of lighting issues. Which is the best case scenario, when thinking about possible gremlins
Old 24 Jan 2013, 01:24 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbavis View Post
So... any ideas? What's between the battery connection and fuse #10 - is there a welded connection that could have popped? A wire connector? If it was at the fuse, I would had it at first try - I looked in the Haynes manual, but it's for the Euro version, different fuse box. I have the Chrysler diagnostic manuals, but doubt they'll be any help here!
It is sure tbavis. if you have chrysler diagnostic manual then it can give you help you