Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > General PT Cruiser Discussions

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
Front Bearing

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 24 Jan 2013, 11:55 am
Young Cruiser

Default Front Bearing

I just took my 02 Pt in for a rotate and balance where I bought my tires(Tire Discounters). The mechanic said the left front press on wheel bearing has play, and I needed to have it replaced. Their quote was almost $300 dollars. Just curious if this sounds a little too much? I've replaced bearings on some of the older rear wheel drive cars, but never on a front wheel drive car. Is there much difference? Any positive opinions are appreciated. Thanks
Old 24 Jan 2013, 12:38 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Default Re: Front Bearing

Quote:
Originally Posted by jondickson View Post
I just took my 02 Pt in for a rotate and balance where I bought my tires(Tire Discounters). The mechanic said the left front press on wheel bearing has play, and I needed to have it replaced. Their quote was almost $300 dollars. Just curious if this sounds a little too much? I've replaced bearings on some of the older rear wheel drive cars, but never on a front wheel drive car. Is there much difference? Any positive opinions are appreciated. Thanks
You have to remove the brakes, rotter, caliper bracket. then the steering knuckle witch entails removing axle bolt. getting the ball joint and tie rod loose, and removing the two strut bolts. Then the bearing is pressed out then the new one pressed in.

03 Dream stock___________________________ 04 Touring turbo lite stock_________ 02 Touring stock_____________________ The "Three Amigos"
__________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ ___________Performance, Body and Service, OEM

This Is my project page.
http://www.ptcruiserlinks.com/forum/...oject-1-a.html

This is a great read from one of our own! Badglas
badglas.blogspot.com
Old 24 Jan 2013, 12:42 pm
Young Cruiser

Yeah, sounds like too much work for this "Shade~Tree~Mechanic" Thanks for the reply and info. Do you think 300 bucks is a little steep for this repair?
Old 24 Jan 2013, 01:05 pm
Veteran Cruiser

most of the time one goes bad, and then the other goes bad. it may be a good idea to see if you can get a deal getting both sides done at the same time, either at this shop, or elsewhere.

the other option to save money and make it less work to fix is taking the knuckle off yourself and having a shop press the bearing for a small fee
Old 24 Jan 2013, 01:14 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Quote:
Yeah, sounds like too much work for this "Shade~Tree~Mechanic" Thanks for the reply and info. Do you think 300 bucks is a little steep for this repair?
I'm not familiar with paying people to do stuff. Have to do myself.

It's not that hard if you have tools and know a trick or to to get the tie rod loose.

03 Dream stock___________________________ 04 Touring turbo lite stock_________ 02 Touring stock_____________________ The "Three Amigos"
__________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ ___________Performance, Body and Service, OEM

This Is my project page.
http://www.ptcruiserlinks.com/forum/...oject-1-a.html

This is a great read from one of our own! Badglas
badglas.blogspot.com
Old 26 Jan 2013, 06:45 pm
Cool Cruiser

$300 is not out of line if they do the work well and use a decent brand of bearing, such as a Timken or NTN. Do not let them install a Chinese made bearing. I recently changed out both sides. Owning my own arbor press helped. I found that I could buy Timken bearings from Rock Auto for about $27 each. They were special order locally at $45. But locally for $27, all that were in stock was a house brand made-in-China bearing. Just be aware that the Timken box contained an NSK bearing, but that is an OK brand also.
Old 26 Jan 2013, 11:27 pm
Senior Cruiser

Quote:
not bad i paid $450 for one side :-p but then again i opted to change out the entire hub assembly and steering knuckle :-p which was $124 in parts alone
Old 27 Jan 2013, 09:07 am
Cool Cruiser

I did mine using a harbor freight bearing tool. It depends how talented you are. The tool is 100 bucks, bearing is 45. Time is 2 hrs. I beat the hub out with a 1 1/4 socket. Carefully so as not to cut into the hub grind the inner race with a cutting wheel, split it and remove from the hub. Use the tool to remove the old bearing out of the knuckle. I had froze the new bearing for a couple days before, I then heated the knuckle in the gas grill to a couple hundred degrees. The cold bearing dropped right in. If you chill the hub it will also make it easier to pull into the bearing using the bearing tool. If I had 300 buck I would have paid to have it done!
Old 27 Jan 2013, 10:07 am
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by L2fish View Post
I did mine using a harbor freight bearing tool. It depends how talented you are. The tool is 100 bucks, bearing is 45. Time is 2 hrs. I beat the hub out with a 1 1/4 socket. Carefully so as not to cut into the hub grind the inner race with a cutting wheel, split it and remove from the hub. Use the tool to remove the old bearing out of the knuckle. I had froze the new bearing for a couple days before, I then heated the knuckle in the gas grill to a couple hundred degrees. The cold bearing dropped right in. If you chill the hub it will also make it easier to pull into the bearing using the bearing tool. If I had 300 buck I would have paid to have it done!
Oh, yeah! I replaced one of the hubs. I had cut into it a tiny bit with the dremel as I was getting ready to cut the bearing race off with a chisel. The cut was not very deep. But when I thought about all the forces acting on the hub, the less than $30 for the hub from Rock Auto was worth the peace of mind. You can be sure I did not make the same mistake on the other side.

I prefer to do my own work. That way, I know it is done right. While I had it all apart, I put on street and track brake rotors and pads. Those paid off the next month big time. An idiot kid on a bicycle darted into traffic. I literally stopped inches from him. With the old brakes, I would have hit him. Legally it would not have been my fault. But it would have been horrible.