PT Cruiser Forum  
Advertisements

Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > General PT Cruiser Discussions

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
Whats the difference between cheap & expensive 5W40 oils ?

Like Tree24Likes

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 29 Jan 2013, 09:50 am
Fanatic Cruiser

Default Whats the difference between cheap & expensive 5W40 oils ?

I was wondering what makes a $20 a bottle oil better than a $5 a bottle ? If it's both 5W40, what is better about the expensive brand ?

I know in synthetic there's no mineral oil left. It's all chemicaly created. But that's not my question. There's so much price difference betweem A brand (Mobil 1) and "no-brand" 5W40 oils that I 'm doubding to use the cheap oil.

It's like this; once I had a cleaning job in a dry batterij factory. In that same factory they made ALL batteries except Duracell. But Wonder Alkaline where the same as the housebrand of a big general store chain. But the housebrand was 1/3rd of the price.

Sometimes I do deliveries in a cookiefactory where the Milka Leo cookies are made. But in that same factory they als make the Olé cookies for a cheap food chain store. The cheaper ones are 99% exact as the A-brand, but again much cheaper...

When I did deliveries in the harbor, I saw truck going in to load fuel. All kinds of brands (Lukoil, Oeral (cheap) and Shell, Esso (expensive)) loaded their fuel from the same place. So in the end it's the A-brand that makes you pay more for exactly the same product from the same origin !

So why buy A-brand ? Which guartees does one have ??
Installed Mopar sub !
Old 29 Jan 2013, 10:19 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Default Re: Whats the difference between cheap & expensive 5W40 oils ?

As you can see from your own examples, the question isn't just about oil.
I read a good article about oil filters. Oil filters were cut open and the amount of filter material, type of bypass valve, materials used, etc., were compared.
There were some brands that were made by WIX - which was okay, because WIX were pretty good, but only by buying a WIX would you know what you were getting - you could be getting a low-end Fram with a re-label.
Is sythetic oil better? YES.
Are some cheaper synthetic oils as good as Mobil 1? Probably, I just don't know.

'05 Limited Turbo Lite, (Silver, of course)4-wheel ABS, Sunroof, Spoiler. Mods: E&G Classic grill, K&N FIPK, BTG duals, rear lowered 1.5", LED washer lights, $20 catch can, Aoogah horn, Weatherflectors, Sunroof Deflector, Fuzzy Dice, rear logo flames, rear pinstripe graphic, Gen3 Taillights, rear sway bar, hood struts, Strut bar.
Traded in '02 Silver Touring Edition w/87,000 miles
Old 29 Jan 2013, 10:23 am
Veteran Cruiser

i believe the cheap oil has a higher percent of recycled stock re-refined oil in it. if you get a bottle of expensive oil and a bottle of the most generic oil you can find, you will usually notice the cheap oil has a darker color to it, and i'm pretty sure this is why. they also may use cheaper detergents, additives, etc. in the oil, and they don't spend billions on marketing.

just like generic cigarettes have less tobacco and more filler, with coloring and nicotine added

Last edited by rob342; 29 Jan 2013 at 10:32 am.
Old 29 Jan 2013, 10:41 am
Obsessed Cruiser

LOL How does one say the blanket statement that synthetic oil is better then none synthetic oil.
Exactly how is that statement accurate. PLEASE explain? With real empirical data or don't respond it is just showing ignorance at this point!LOL
You really need to find out how all the oil is made and LOOK AT THE OPERATING SPECIFICATION of oil!
ALL MOTOR OILS that have more of the additives will cost more. Generally speaking companies that have had synthetic motor oils available longer usually cost more per quart because they have already been through the "what works better" phase.
Show me a synthetic you are using and I will show you either a very close or better operating specification in a none synthetic!!
I wish uninformed people would stop continuing this BS blanket statements BS about synthetic is better then none synthetic.

Oh and WIX and FRAM are two separate filter companies and they DON"T use each other filters!!! Where in world did that information come from???
This is exactly what I talk about someone post this kind of information and it gets passed on and the next they you know it is some forum fact!!

The color of the oil does not represent that it is reclaimed oil. In fact there are regulation that if a motor oil is reclaimed it must state so. There are some oils because of there additives that have a darker color then other. generally speaking when an oil get dark in an engine it does not mean it is dirty!

About the only thing on this thread that seems to be accurate is the underlined comment below. A previous quote from another member on this thread.
"Are some cheaper synthetic oils as good as Mobil 1? Probably, I just don't know".

A little taste of information! Source(s) withheld hoping that other take an initiative to do some base line research on there own?
Despite their name, most synthetic derived motor oils (ie Mobil 1, Castrol Formula RS etc) are actually derived from mineral oils - they are mostly Polyalphaolifins and these come from the purest part of the mineral oil refraction process, the gas.

Pure synthetic oils (polyalkyleneglycol) are the types used almost exclusively within the industrial sector in polyglycol oils for heavily loaded gearboxes.

Although the basestock of an oil will be a major determining factor in the lubrication quality of an oil, chemical additives play a major part in making sure that it does all that it is supposed to do. In fact, the chemical additive package of an oil is just as important to insuring the quality of a lubricant as is the particular basestock used.
as the quality of the additive chemicals increases, so does the price. In addition, proper blending takes a great deal of research. This requires much time and, again, money. Therefore, manufacturers will, of course, charge more for motor oils which contain a high quality additive package than those with lower quality additive packages. They simply can't afford not to.

A high quality basestock blended with a cheap additive package is still junk oil. A high quality additive package added to a cheap basestock is no better.

The only way to accurately determine an oils lubricating value or contamination level is through (spectrographic) oil analysis.

Dalai Lama
"Share you knowledge. It's the best way to achieve immortality."
ASE MASTER TECHNICIAN

Last edited by NitroPT; 29 Jan 2013 at 11:11 am.
Old 29 Jan 2013, 11:08 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by NitroPT View Post
LOL How does one say the blanket statement that synthetic oil is better then none synthetic oil.
Exactly how is that statement accurate. PLEASE explain? With real empirical data or don't respond it is just showing ignorance at this point!LOL
You really need to find out how all the oil is made and LOOK AT THE OPERATING SPECIFICATION of oil!
ALL MOTOR OILS that have more of the additives will cost more. Generally speaking companies that have had synthetic motor oils available longer usually cost more per quart because they have already been through the "what works better" phase.
Show me a synthetic you are using and I will show you either a very close or better operating specification in a none synthetic!!
I wish uninformed people would stop continuing this BS blanket statements BS about synthetic is better then none synthetic.

Oh and WIX and FRAM are two separate filter companies and they DON"T use each other filters!!! Where in world did that information come from???
This is exactly what I talk about someone post this kind of information and it gets passed on and the next they you know it is some forum fact!!

The color of the oil does not represent that it is reclaimed oil. In fact there are regulation that if a motor oil is reclaimed it must state so. There are some oils because of there additives that have a darker color then other. generally speaking when an oil get dark in an engine it does not mean it is dirty!

About the only thing on this thread that seems to be accurate is the underlined comment below. A previous quote from another member on this thread.
"Are some cheaper synthetic oils as good as Mobil 1? Probably, I just don't know".
Got an F in reading comprehension????
I know WIX and Fram are 2 separate oil companies - they also make filters that sell under different brand names (at least WIX does).
Why does Corvette and Porsche put Synthetic oil in their cars? BECAUSE IT IS BETTER.
You do know a lot about cars and you seem to think that means you know everything - YOU DON'T.
A debate about whether synthetic oil is better is like debating whether there is gravity - fact isn't subject to debate. As a lubricant, synthetic oil is better than non-synthetic oil and yes, that is based on tests.
mityqwik and zamfir2 like this.

'05 Limited Turbo Lite, (Silver, of course)4-wheel ABS, Sunroof, Spoiler. Mods: E&G Classic grill, K&N FIPK, BTG duals, rear lowered 1.5", LED washer lights, $20 catch can, Aoogah horn, Weatherflectors, Sunroof Deflector, Fuzzy Dice, rear logo flames, rear pinstripe graphic, Gen3 Taillights, rear sway bar, hood struts, Strut bar.
Old 29 Jan 2013, 11:19 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by quicksilverdon View Post
Got an F in reading comprehension????
I know WIX and Fram are 2 separate oil companies - they also make filters that sell under different brand names (at least WIX does).
**Why does Corvette and Porsche put Synthetic oil in their cars? BECAUSE IT IS BETTER.
You do know a lot about cars and you seem to think that means you know everything - YOU DON'T.
A debate about whether synthetic oil is better is like debating whether there is gravity - fact isn't subject to debate. As a lubricant, synthetic oil is better than non-synthetic oil and yes, that is based on tests.
**Wait your kidding right? ^^^^
No I don't know everything never claimed I did!
When I post something of technical nature I am ready to back it up with facts and empirical data. How about you?
Please show me the test that you claimed were done and what oils used??
I bet we find that it was not independently done and the sponsors have vested interest in the top choice.
Every motor oil has different specification and will fundamentally do different things. Some synthetic oils do not always do everything needed for every operating condition better then all none synthetic oils.

Tell me what you use and I will give you a either a very close,even or better none synthetic oil to use in its place! With empirical data!

Dalai Lama
"Share you knowledge. It's the best way to achieve immortality."
ASE MASTER TECHNICIAN

Last edited by NitroPT; 29 Jan 2013 at 11:35 am.
Old 29 Jan 2013, 11:24 am
Senior Cruiser

A certain amount of the higher price you pay for a name brand is for the high advertising costs to promote the reputation of the brand in the public conciousness. The oil company also has research and developement costs and maybe some wonder additive that adds some more. But in the end these all figure in to the costs plus the profit equals the price. Now around the corner from the big oil company there might be a small "oil company" with no refineries, no research and developement, no advertising, etc. The big oil company has already covered all their own expences so if they still have some more excess production capability and can sell a few tanks of oil for a bit of profit to the little oil company, then why not? The "cut rate" oil may be similar to the name brand but probably will be a slightly different cocktail with some more generic additives instead of the more expensive ones. But the point is, it's all bottled without the advertising, R&D and other costs so it can be sold cheaper while still turning a profit for both the big oil and the little oil companies.

We change our oil not just because it gets dirty but also because it just wears out. One of the things the big, name brand oil companies do is to make oil that does its job longer and not wear out so soon. A cut rate oil may wear out sooner but still do a great job when it's fresh. So it might be wise to change the cheap stuff more often. Without sending the used oil out for testing, it's all just guessing and you don't really know.

Last edited by 2step; 29 Jan 2013 at 11:28 am.
Old 29 Jan 2013, 11:25 am
Fanatic Cruiser

What the hell ? Can a simple question be answered simple please ?

So from the - unneccesary big - post from Lynn I remember this: cheap oils have less additives and less proven mixtures. But that to me means that the A-brands will only do a slightly better job and are not worth the price times 4.

So I 'm going for the cheapest 5W40 oil I've ever seen
I will post my experience with the oil myself and just going to take the chance here.
Installed Mopar sub !
Old 29 Jan 2013, 11:32 am
Fanatic Cruiser

Oh yeah and Lynn, I have to asume there's always been 5W30 in my engine (service manual says this is what it needs), so I 'm not even considering changing to mineral oils.

What did/do you put in your Mini engine ?
Installed Mopar sub !
Old 29 Jan 2013, 11:35 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Read the history of synthetic. They started out to develop a better lubricant than regular oil, and they succeeded.
Saying synthetic oil is better is a blanket statement the same as saying overhead cam engines are better than side-valve engines.
Can you find a particular side-valve engine that may be better than a particular overhead cam engine? Probably, but that is silly and does nothing to refute the general rule.
You can spend to have your oil analyzed, or just change your oil frequently.

Closed Thread