Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > General PT Cruiser Discussions

PT Cruiser Forum

drivers door lock dilemma...

Like Tree1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 29 Jan 2013, 10:21 pm
Young Cruiser

Default drivers door lock dilemma...

The drivers door lock on my daughters PT would unlock, but would NOT lock. All the rest of the doors lock and unlock normally. I figured it was the actuator, so I purchased another one from a salvage yard. Went to install it tonight, only to find that I have the same issue with the replacement. Odds are that it's not the actuator, but who knows? Is there a way to test the lock actuator "outside" of the car (by putting 12 volts on the correct terminals)? I used a test lamp to get a reading on the wiring harness; the only terminal that gave me a reading was the one connected to the pink with black stripe wire.

Where do I go from here? I'm not sure what to check? Again would be nice to know for sure if the actuator was good. How do I check the wiring harness?

Thanks for any help you can offer....!

Art

Actuator.jpg

Actuator-connector.jpg

Connector_wire_colors.jpg

Last edited by a_bartle; 29 Jan 2013 at 10:25 pm.
Old 29 Jan 2013, 11:08 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Default Re: drivers door lock dilemma...

That switch is not making contact on that direction. Can be tested with a volt meter of test light.

03 Dream stock
04 Touring turbo lite stock
02 Touring stock

This Is my project page.
http://www.ptcruiserlinks.com/forum/...oject-1-a.html

This is a great read from one of our own! Badglas
badglas.blogspot.com
Old 31 Jan 2013, 12:17 pm
Young Cruiser

With regards to the switch, I believe it's ok because all the other doors are locking, so it must be sending a signal?? Another person mentioned that it might be a "key-in" sensor located in the steering column at the ignition switch. He said it was a two-wire sensor which he explains as "If the module sees an ignition key in the key cylinder, it' logic won't allow you to mistakenly lock your keys in the car by refusing to lock the drivers door". It makes sense and would explain why only my drivers door won't lock (yet it will unlock). Has anyone heard of this? I've been looking in the service manual and have not run across this module....
Old 31 Jan 2013, 12:32 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

I can't be sure on this will need to try this out first. Maybe someone will get in their car and try it.

03 Dream stock
02 Touring stock

This Is my project page.

badglas.blogspot.com
Old 31 Jan 2013, 01:16 pm
Young Cruiser

As soon as I can (hopefully this weekend) I'm going to take the steering column apart and look myself. The guy said it has a two wire connector on it, which is why I was looking in the service manual, but thus far I've not ran across it. I was just hoping someone here has had a similar drivers door "not locking" problem and this key-in sensor was the solution.

I'd still like to know if there are some OTHER tests I can try, especially if this "key-sensor" proves not to be the problem. The shop manual just keeps referring to using the "DRB III" scan tool to "magically" find all the problems. That's great if I had access to one, but I'd like to try and avoid a trip to the dealer and pay "highway robbery" prices to get this thing fixed.

Last edited by a_bartle; 31 Jan 2013 at 01:19 pm.
Old 05 Feb 2013, 08:09 am
Young Cruiser

I've tested the lock actuator itself and it's working fine, so I believe the remote keyless entry module is bad. I pulled it the other day, but I was wondering if there is any way to "test" that module to be sure it's not working correctly. I hate to keep "throwing" parts at this problem, wish I could be sure it's bad. If nothing else, can a Chrysler dealership test it?
Old 05 Feb 2013, 10:58 am
Young Cruiser

I was also wondering, in my search for a replacement RKEM, I've noticed a lot of modules that are "listed" for a 2001 will have the last digit(s) different. For example, my part # is P05293040AH, but I've seen them as P05293040AI or P05293040AJ for example, and still states used for a 2001 PT. One guy said that as Chrysler made improvements, the last two digits would change, and those numbers would "supersede" the older numbers. Can anyone confirm that??

Thanks....
Art
Old 05 Feb 2013, 11:43 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Sometimes a part just came from a different supplier after awhile. This happened on the bumpers to.

03 Dream stock
02 Touring stock

This Is my project page.

badglas.blogspot.com
Old 05 Feb 2013, 01:26 pm
Young Cruiser

I called a Chrysler dealer's parts department. He "thought" that they could check the module (again, "thought") out of the car, but then went on to say it would be a minimum of $85... can you believe that? I can buy a used replacement for half that and take a chance, lol.

He did make a suggestion though that might help. He said that he'd jump the "lock" wire directly over to the actuator, that way if a wire is broken somewhere in-between (common in-between the door/body area) it would then indicate a wiring problem. I told him I looked over the wires in-between the door and they looked good, not abused or damaged. He said that the wires could look excellent, but the wire strands "inside" the wire could have failed. That makes a lot of sense. Now, I just hope that the "orange/w black stripe" wire stays the same color right up to the RKEM so I know what wire to jump.....
Old 05 Feb 2013, 02:50 pm
Young Cruiser

Ok, so it's not going to be as easy as I thought to run a jumper over from the RKEM to the door lock actuator. I found the pin-out diagram in the repair manual, and of course there isn't simply a matching orange/black wire from the RKEM. Now I'm not sure which wire I can use....

Has anybody tried to do this???

Attached Images
File Type: jpg RKEM_Pin-Out.jpg (92.8 KB, 44 views)