Advertisements
Exhaust Flange Gasket

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By Busted_PT

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05 Feb 2013, 08:00 am
Cool Cruiser

Default Exhaust Flange Gasket

I've had what sounded like a tinging sound when the engine was cold, so I assumed it was probably an exhaust leak. Now, it definitely sounds like a small leak. When I'm driving it sounds like it's right in the location of the flange gasket.

I figured I'd do it myself, but when I crawled under to inspect, there's a heat shield in the way. I can see some of the bolts from the top, but it wouldn't be too easy to do it from there.

I decided to have somebody do it. I called a local place and he tells me it's a 2 hour job and it would be around $240-$250 without any other issues, like bad cat, or breaking any stud bolts. I was thinking under a $100. Is it that hard of a job?

The gaskets are between $2 - $7 at the part stores, so it's not like that's the big cost. I don't even know if that's definitely where it's leaking from. I'd be afraid to see how much if it was something else.

Nevermind the above. I wound up calling another place and was quoted at around $110 for the gasket, including replacing the bolts. So, yes the above place was way over priced. Also, told that it was more likely the flex pipe or possibly a cracked manifold, but they would do a free check and let me know. It's in their shop now.

Last edited by falconut; 05 Feb 2013 at 09:52 am. Reason: Provided an update
Old 05 Feb 2013, 10:05 am
Senior Cruiser

Default Re: Exhaust Flange Gasket

not that hard from below. hit all lower heatsheild & o2 housing flange bolts with penetrating oil at least a day before you begin. Sometimes the top o2 housing bolt can be a pita as it's a bolt & nut/tab configuration.
I hit mine with the PB Blaster then drove to work <~stinks Then hit it again the day before i worked on it. I've done this several times with no stripped or broken nuts/bolts.

gl
FS: '03 GT Elec Blue w/rear suicide doors or '03 auto PCM, S3 turbofold, WGA, 3.5" o2 & 3" DP - make offer
Old 05 Feb 2013, 10:29 am
Veteran Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by falconut View Post
more likely a cracked manifold
Quoted for Truth
Old 05 Feb 2013, 10:34 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Yes, what he said! ^^^^^^^

03 Dream stock___________________________ 04 Touring turbo lite stock_________ 02 Touring stock_____________________ The "Three Amigos"
__________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ ___________Performance, Body and Service, OEM

This Is my project page.
http://www.ptcruiserlinks.com/forum/...oject-1-a.html

This is a great read from one of our own! Badglas
badglas.blogspot.com
Old 05 Feb 2013, 12:56 pm
Cool Cruiser

Just got off the phone and they say there's no leak. He plugged the line and it just about stalled the engine. He said the sound must be from something else.

I'm guessing it's all from the Torque Struts that I need to propertly adjust over the weekend. I swore it was a light exhaust leak.
Old 05 Feb 2013, 01:04 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Good news! That's all that matters. One less thing. You will start to hear a lot of things if you worry to much about it. Get that adjustment done and relish in the money you saved.
UptownSport likes this.

03 Dream stock___________________________ 04 Touring turbo lite stock_________ 02 Touring stock_____________________ The "Three Amigos"
__________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ ___________Performance, Body and Service, OEM

This Is my project page.
http://www.ptcruiserlinks.com/forum/...oject-1-a.html

This is a great read from one of our own! Badglas
badglas.blogspot.com
Old 09 Feb 2013, 07:02 pm
Cool Cruiser

I believe it was the lower motor mount being incorrect. Apparently, there is a difference between the lower mount for the auto trans and manual trans. Here are the two:

The upper is what I found for auto (#3169) and the lower for manual (#2949) using Anchor part numbers. The manual one had less than 1/8" clearance from the bottom of the engine and I believe it would hit when accelerating. I wound up switching to Duralast for both and no more noise. They have references to the Anchor part #s.