Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > General PT Cruiser Discussions

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
Timing belt kits

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09 Feb 2013, 07:50 pm
Young Cruiser

Default Timing belt kits

Say, I was gonna buy a timing belt kit is this the one I need?? GATES Part # TCK265ARB from Rockauto..RockAuto Parts Catalog ..Then buy a MOPAR water pump from the dealer?? 2003 GT turbo..Thanks

Last edited by spiral; 09 Feb 2013 at 07:52 pm.
Old 09 Feb 2013, 08:12 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Default Re: Timing belt kits

That is one of the kits. The one with the blue racing belt.

03 Dream stock___________________________ 04 Touring turbo lite stock_________ 02 Touring stock_____________________ The "Three Amigos"
__________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ ___________Performance, Body and Service, OEM

This Is my project page.
http://www.ptcruiserlinks.com/forum/...oject-1-a.html

This is a great read from one of our own! Badglas
badglas.blogspot.com
Old 09 Feb 2013, 09:08 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

MOPAR water pumps are pricey in most places. You can also get a
BOSCH or AIRTEX #AW7167 that are great quality. Both the BOSCH and AIRTEX have their own casting that are very clean, quality assemblies and some places offer lifetime warranty.

Dalai Lama
"Share you knowledge. It's the best way to achieve immortality."
ASE MASTER TECHNICIAN

Last edited by NitroPT; 09 Feb 2013 at 09:15 pm.
Old 09 Feb 2013, 10:03 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by NitroPT View Post
MOPAR water pumps are pricey in most places. You can also get a
BOSCH or AIRTEX #AW7167 that are great quality. Both the BOSCH and AIRTEX have their own casting that are very clean, quality assemblies and some places offer lifetime warranty.
I'm not speaking to the quality of these peaces. But Advance's water pumps have a life time warranty, but I wouldn't put one on something that's hard to change. Because you are going to get you some free replacements. So I hope these would be a whole lot better.

03 Dream stock___________________________ 04 Touring turbo lite stock_________ 02 Touring stock_____________________ The "Three Amigos"
__________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ ___________Performance, Body and Service, OEM

This Is my project page.

badglas.blogspot.com
Old 10 Feb 2013, 10:17 am
Fanatic Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by spiral View Post
Say, I was gonna buy a timing belt kit is this the one I need?? GATES Part # TCK265ARB from Rockauto..RockAuto Parts Catalog ..Then buy a MOPAR water pump from the dealer?? 2003 GT turbo..Thanks
I agree with your thoughts.

Original Owner 135k
2005 Turbo Touring Convertible Auto w/ Stage 1, DSP inTune w/ Diablo Tune, Composite Intake, Air Box Modification, Hard Pipes, K&N, KYB's, Vision Motorworks Wires, Continental Extreme Contact DWS, Rear Sway Bar, Strut Tower Bar, UltraGauge.
Old 10 Feb 2013, 12:16 pm
Young Cruiser

Well, I just came in from checking my timing belt on the PT I recently purchased.I was trying to find some new writing on the belt hoping it had been replaced.Its a 2003 GT and it has a 135,800 or so on it..So I found some writing on the timing belt like a bar code but you can barely make it out.Then I seen the Chrysler symbol and you can barely make it out.So then I took a screwdriver and in between the cam sprockets, I thought I would press down on the belt to see how much stretch/slack the timing belt had in it..I can press it down, or up, no joke, about 1 1/2 to 2 inches without any resistance... I don't see how, in the 400 miles I've put on it since I bought it, that it hasn't jumped time or broke yet.So it is parked and I'm not even gonna start it.I'm gonna start tearing it down today right where it sits..
Old 10 Feb 2013, 12:28 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

These have a spring tensioner so I can't tell you how much flex you get. I would not think you could read the words any more. Will look on my old one and see tomorrow.
I have some pics and some tips on the pulleys in my pt project section. In case you are changing the seals too.

This Is my project page.

badglas.blogspot.com

Last edited by Busted_PT; 10 Feb 2013 at 12:32 pm.
Old 10 Feb 2013, 12:34 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Busted_PT View Post
I'm not speaking to the quality of these peaces. But Advance's water pumps have a life time warranty, but I wouldn't put one on something that's hard to change. Because you are going to get you some free replacements. So I hope these would be a whole lot better.
Quote:
Originally Posted by compdr59 View Post
I agree with your thoughts.
Yup I often see this type of thinking....

Let me help you with another thought.
FACTS:
Most shops will not cover there labor if you bring them a part and it fails.
Most parts warranty say no labor coverage.
The water pump on a PT is very hard to change.

Unless you are a shop you would most likely have never had experience with what I am going to post and if you were a shop then you already know this stuff anyway!

Chrysler will NOT cover any warranted labor coverage on any part unless you are a Chrysler licensed dealership or authorized parts distributor. Unless it is within the warranty coverage or a separate insurance stipulated for the part. NONE of Chrysler's PT water pumps have any labor coverage. Says this right on the warranty paper/card.
The quality of Chrysler's water pumps are no better then a BOSCH or AIRTEX.
Both BOSCH or AIRTEX will cover a certain amount of labor loss for the first 30 days and may cover more up to 6 months after the purchase date of their water pump. You just need to know how to apply a labor claim properly. Even if you did the work at home both BOSCH and AIRTEX may cover some of your time should the water pump fail in the first 30 days. Chrysler will not cover any labor loss from a home install and may reject a replacement of it after a 90 day from date of purchase. What this means is that the place you purchase the water pump has an agreement with Chrysler for "X" amount of warranty returns per quarter or year that they are allowed their coverage replacement after that they are covering the part themselves. This is not to say that your Chrysler part alone under the provision of the warranty will not be honored it simply means that as that times closer to its expiration the supplier has a legal right to reject a claim or request it be approved first.
So you may think twice about having that MOPAR water pump on your PT that you are personally going to be installing?

Dalai Lama
"Share you knowledge. It's the best way to achieve immortality."
ASE MASTER TECHNICIAN

Last edited by NitroPT; 10 Feb 2013 at 12:37 pm.
Old 10 Feb 2013, 01:06 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by NitroPT View Post
Yup I often see this type of thinking....

Let me help you with another thought.
FACTS:
Most shops will not cover there labor if you bring them a part and it fails.
Most parts warranty say no labor coverage.
The water pump on a PT is very hard to change.

Unless you are a shop you would most likely have never had experience with what I am going to post and if you were a shop then you already know this stuff anyway!

Chrysler will NOT cover any warranted labor coverage on any part unless you are a Chrysler licensed dealership or authorized parts distributor. Unless it is within the warranty coverage or a separate insurance stipulated for the part. NONE of Chrysler's PT water pumps have any labor coverage. Says this right on the warranty paper/card.
The quality of Chrysler's water pumps are no better then a BOSCH or AIRTEX.
Both BOSCH or AIRTEX will cover a certain amount of labor loss for the first 30 days and may cover more up to 6 months after the purchase date of their water pump. You just need to know how to apply a labor claim properly. Even if you did the work at home both BOSCH and AIRTEX may cover some of your time should the water pump fail in the first 30 days. Chrysler will not cover any labor loss from a home install and may reject a replacement of it after a 90 day from date of purchase. What this means is that the place you purchase the water pump has an agreement with Chrysler for "X" amount of warranty returns per quarter or year that they are allowed their coverage replacement after that they are covering the part themselves. This is not to say that your Chrysler part alone under the provision of the warranty will not be honored it simply means that as that times closer to its expiration the supplier has a legal right to reject a claim or request it be approved first.
So you may think twice about having that MOPAR water pump on your PT that you are personally going to be installing?
Never heard of anyone having a pump failure in 30 days. I'm sure its possible. I have not had a advance pump fail in a 6 month period. But I have had them fail in less than 12. And under 10k miles. A free replacement just don't cut it on a pt.
Most OEM water pumps on our pt are not bad when replaced at timing belt change. That is a better warranty to me than the one on paper. I would be more impressed with posted mileage on these replaced pumps and from what supplier than the fact they give a warranty. Again not saying the brands your using here are not as advertised but I have seen many OEM pumps with huge mileage and still good. Or at least not good had 80 to over 150 k lifespan. what kind of warranty they had didn't cross my mind!

This Is my project page.

badglas.blogspot.com
Old 10 Feb 2013, 01:07 pm
Young Cruiser

I'm probably just gonna go with the Airtex and order all of it from Rockauto.. The timing belt is stretched really bad. I have probably changed over 50 or so timing belt/chains on various cars and this is the worst I've seen with this much slack and still running..It's just floppy between the cam sprockets. It actually sags down between the sprockets...I'm real surprised it hasn't shredded the teeth yet..