Head light and clock flicker

Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By CREWZIN
  • 1 Post By mityqwik

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 15 Feb 2013, 09:22 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Default Head light and clock flicker

I recently changed the battery on the cruiser but I just started to notice when I step on the brake and a little bit on idle my headlights and clock flicker a bit just want to know what's up before I take it to the shop what do u guys think it is.
Old 16 Feb 2013, 01:32 pm
Regular Cruiser

Default Re: Head light and clock flicker

Mine does this too. It was briefly better after I bought a new battery. I have not delved into it too much yet but plan to when the weather warms up. I have had ZERO luck asking anybody what causes this and sure would not take it to the shop and pay them to not figure it out. The dealer claims they have never heard of this,,,,, BS, they have to know, it seams many people suffer from this. I think they do not want to admit yet another design flaw. I think other Chryslers do this too. Which leads me to the guess below.

OK, my theory is that there is a bad wire harness or connector between the battery and the fuse box and that moving the hot lead from the battery or jostling the air box moves this connection and makes it either bad, worse or better. I am going to remove and attempt to repair or redesign the connection. Obviously buying a new part would just be buying more crap.

If this works, I will demand god like status in the PT Cruiser world!
Old 16 Feb 2013, 02:40 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davey View Post
You get that only after 100,000 posts. Right now at 93, your still a "Young Cruiser".
rcktpwrd likes this.

- All decisions by the Moderator are semi-permanent, can and may be changed at his discretion but definitely will be the final word. Any action performed by the Administrator or Moderators are not to be discussed on the forum.
Old 16 Feb 2013, 04:15 pm
Senior Cruiser

Improving the ground and positive wiring to the battery and alternator will probably fix this. Look up The Big 3 mod commonly used in stereo installs.

2001 PT Cruiser 5-speed; 1976 Oldsmobile Cutlass S; 1990 Chevy 454SS; 1995 Caprice Classic woody
www.rcktpwrd.com
Old 16 Feb 2013, 11:42 pm
Senior Cruiser

Thumbs up Re: Head light and clock flicker

a few years back my lights were doing the same thing and some one here ,told me to pull and clean all the fuses(small wire brush) and reinstalled them. the one fuse that shuts off the fuel pump in case of back end collision was the culprit it had built up a film. i have not had this problem since .NOW i gotta go find me some wood to knock on.
Busted_PT likes this.
Old 17 Feb 2013, 03:05 am
Fresh Cruiser

Thanks I'll try the fuse thing and see if it works god I hope it does because the whole flickering thing is very tedious
Old 17 Feb 2013, 09:53 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davey View Post
Mine does this too. It was briefly better after I bought a new battery. I have not delved into it too much yet but plan to when the weather warms up. I have had ZERO luck asking anybody what causes this and sure would not take it to the shop and pay them to not figure it out. The dealer claims they have never heard of this,,,,, BS, they have to know, it seams many people suffer from this. I think they do not want to admit yet another design flaw. I think other Chryslers do this too. Which leads me to the guess below.

OK, my theory is that there is a bad wire harness or connector between the battery and the fuse box and that moving the hot lead from the battery or jostling the air box moves this connection and makes it either bad, worse or better. I am going to remove and attempt to repair or redesign the connection. Obviously buying a new part would just be buying more crap.

God works in mysterious ways. So I have one more way for you to work. Try removing and cleaning all the cable connections from one end to the other. There is a big ground on the inner finder behind the air box. So don't forget that one. Hope this and other suggestions work for you. I have also read here about the connector in the steering column causing flicker.

03 Dream stock___________________________ 04 Touring turbo lite stock_________ 02 Touring stock_____________________ The "Three Amigos"
__________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ ___________Performance, Body and Service, OEM

This Is my project page.
http://www.ptcruiserlinks.com/forum/...oject-1-a.html

This is a great read from one of our own! Badglas
badglas.blogspot.com
Old 17 Feb 2013, 08:32 pm
Cool Cruiser

I've noticed this a few times on mine, too.
I'll probably be getting a new battery soon anyway, but I'm gonna try these ideas when it warms up here a bit.