PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
When does the MFS malfunction ?

Like Tree4Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 19 Feb 2013, 02:41 pm
Fanatic Cruiser

Default When does the MFS malfunction ?

I 'm wondering about something. I read a lot about the multi function switch burning the connection for the foglights because the current acually has to go through the switch itself.

But that being said I guess it will not break down if you don 't use the foglights often ? I see many people driving around with their fogs constantly on. But I only use them in ... well, the fog

So I assume that the MFS will never go bad if I only use the foglights 2 - 3 times a year ? What do you guys think on this ?
Installed Mopar sub !
Old 19 Feb 2013, 03:41 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Default Re: When does the MFS malfunction ?

The usual problem is they stay on and run down the battery. I'm sure it can fail in other ways. Others will chime in I'm sure.

03 Dream stock___________________________ 04 Touring turbo lite stock_________ 02 Touring stock_____________________ The "Three Amigos"
__________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ ___________Performance, Body and Service, OEM

This Is my project page.
http://www.ptcruiserlinks.com/forum/...oject-1-a.html

This is a great read from one of our own! Badglas
badglas.blogspot.com
Old 19 Feb 2013, 04:23 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

First, besides failing like Busted said, they can melt the internals and you'll see smoke from the switch. Been reported here on the forum a few times. No fire, just smoke.

Second, I read an article on one of the forums that a guy took everything apart and concluded (his own) that actually using the fog light switch a lot, actually saved the switch from burning out because the part that burned did so when the switch was closed/open (I'm not sure) and the fogs were OFF. So the more times you use the switch, the better. Wish I would have saved the post.

I use my fogs all the time, Knock on wood, they are still working fine after 13 years 8/00 - 2/13. Also, I bought a new switch with fogs for a great price from someone that bough it and then sold his PT before he used it. SO, I have a spare it it ever goes bad.

- All decisions by the Moderator are semi-permanent, can and may be changed at his discretion but definitely will be the final word. Any action performed by the Administrator or Moderators are not to be discussed on the forum.
Old 19 Feb 2013, 05:10 pm
Senior Cruiser

From what i have seen by repairing mine, the switch fails from wear. I was starting to get the fogs coming on when I used the turn signals. I would have to push the end of the switch in to turn the fogs off. This would be during the day when i wasn't using the lights. I found the ramp that triggers the fog circuit to be worn down and allowing the lights to come on. Using one of the posts here I reipaired the ramp area and all is well now.
2step, Busted_PT and Teska like this.

2001 PT Cruiser 5-speed; 1976 Oldsmobile Cutlass S; 1990 Chevy 454SS; 1995 Caprice Classic woody
www.rcktpwrd.com
Old 20 Feb 2013, 03:12 am
Fanatic Cruiser

So, they don 't break down by not using them ?
Installed Mopar sub !
Old 20 Feb 2013, 12:08 pm
Regular Cruiser

I use mine infrequently, when I actually need them. I find I can normally pick a time when there is no oncoming traffic and put the headlights on high beam, then turn on the foglights. In that way, the switch is never cycled under load. This should be the best of both worlds, the switch is cycled, and the contacts are never stressed.

The PT crew website has a tip for the 05 and earlier at least, where a relay is put into circuit in the area under the steering column to reduce the current through the multi-function switch.
Old 20 Feb 2013, 12:54 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teska View Post
So, they don 't break down by not using them ?
Being everything is three prices to you over there for your pt. It is good that there is a repair thread on these. I could see it being a bigger help for the over seas crowd due to shipping cost when you buy.

03 Dream stock___________________________ 04 Touring turbo lite stock_________ 02 Touring stock_____________________ The "Three Amigos"
__________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ ___________Performance, Body and Service, OEM

This Is my project page.
http://www.ptcruiserlinks.com/forum/...oject-1-a.html

This is a great read from one of our own! Badglas
badglas.blogspot.com
Old 20 Feb 2013, 01:17 pm
Fanatic Cruiser

The reason I ask this question is this: there are a few people who report problems, maybe there are many people without problems who we never hear from.

I can imagine that the people with problems are the ones who use their foglights all the time. As I see it the current, that powers the foglights, run trough the MFS thus causing burnout problems.

So in my logic, someone who only uses them what they're made for, have no problems.
Installed Mopar sub !
Old 20 Feb 2013, 07:02 pm
Senior Cruiser

Teska, if you don't use the fogs much then you probably won't ever have a problem....

I use mine every time I have the lights on and only had this problem in the past few months, I bought the car new so it is going on 13 years old.
Teska likes this.

2001 PT Cruiser 5-speed; 1976 Oldsmobile Cutlass S; 1990 Chevy 454SS; 1995 Caprice Classic woody
www.rcktpwrd.com
Old 21 Feb 2013, 03:25 am
Fanatic Cruiser

Okay, that 's what seemed logic to me too. Thanks

I've got no fogs but in time I want to add them. But I like the prescence of the fog lights, just for being there, I never use them as daylights. The front just doesn't seem "finished" without the fogs
Installed Mopar sub !