PT Cruiser Forum  
Advertisements

Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > General PT Cruiser Discussions

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
When is it time to get rid of the PT? HELP.

Like Tree2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 21 Feb 2013, 09:03 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Exclamation When is it time to get rid of the PT? HELP.

Hello everyone!! I'm Tim. This is my first post ever on the forums and I have been having some problems. I am 19, in college, and I have an 04 PT. I have 111,000 miles on it and I have been having a butt load of problems recently. I'm debating whether it is time to get rid of it or not. We bought it from a family friend for 3 grand 3 years ago. Had no problems, fluids were in check, etc etc. I am a major car enthusiast and I know my way around a car. For the past two months, the dashboard acted up and my rpm and mph gauge went to 0 even when I am driving on the hwy. My mechanic replaced a cylinder head and the ignition switch and the problem was still lingering. Is it time to sell it? What is the life expectancy of a cruiser after 100k miles? I've always been a jeep guy and that is my next best bet as a 19 year old for a 6600 1997 jeep. WHat problems have occurred for you guys after a large number of miles? THANKS GUYS WHATEVER YOU GIVE ME WILL HELP ME OUT SO MUCH!!

Last edited by TMONEY; 26 Feb 2013 at 10:54 am.
Old 21 Feb 2013, 09:21 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Default Re: When is it time to get rid of the PT? HELP.

Forgot to mention it has died on me a good amount of times while I was driving..NOT SAFE HAHA thats the reason for the cylinder job and my ignition switch was replaced as well.
Old 21 Feb 2013, 09:30 pm
Senior Cruiser

Is the check engine light on?
Old 21 Feb 2013, 09:39 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Yes it is/was...its in the shop now. The car would show the engine light then one second later completely shut off.
Old 21 Feb 2013, 09:47 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Besides the cylinder head and ignition switch, what else was replaced? Has the timing belt been replaced. If not, your running on borrowed time. About 100,000 miles is the time for the belt, tensioner and water pump to be replaced.

Check for any fault codes your getting from the computer.

How to retrieve fault codes.

- All decisions by the Moderator are semi-permanent, can and may be changed at his discretion but definitely will be the final word. Any action performed by the Administrator or Moderators are not to be discussed on the forum.
Old 21 Feb 2013, 09:49 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by CREWZIN View Post
Besides the cylinder head and ignition switch, what else was replaced? Has the timing belt been replaced. If not, your running on borrowed time. About 100,000 miles is the time for the belt, tensioner and water pump to be replaced.

Check for any fault codes your getting from the computer.

How to retrieve fault codes.
yeah the engine code came back with a cylinder misfire... that was a 300$ job and that didnt work so my mechanic did not charge me and the belt was already replaced. not the water pump but I am looking to get rid of mine soon so i do not know if I will put my money into it.

Last edited by TMONEY; 21 Feb 2013 at 09:52 pm.
Old 21 Feb 2013, 10:49 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Look at the cam sensor and the wiring that feeds that. Check the speed sensor for the speedo. Also check for vac leak on the intake or the fuel injector for that cylinder.

Also check the how many miles on your pt. Or ask Rob342 about miles.

03 Dream stock___________________________ 04 Touring turbo lite stock_________ 02 Touring stock_____________________ The "Three Amigos"
__________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ ___________Performance, Body and Service, OEM

This Is my project page.
http://www.ptcruiserlinks.com/forum/...oject-1-a.html

This is a great read from one of our own! Badglas
badglas.blogspot.com
Old 21 Feb 2013, 11:23 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Busted_PT View Post
Look at the cam sensor and the wiring that feeds that. Check the speed sensor for the speedo. Also check for vac leak on the intake or the fuel injector for that cylinder.

Also check the how many miles on your pt. Or ask Rob342 about miles.
WOW ok Ill call up my mechanic tomorrow and see what happens with that. Thanks so much!
Old 21 Feb 2013, 11:58 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by TMONEY View Post
WOW ok Ill call up my mechanic tomorrow and see what happens with that. Thanks so much!
Hope at least some of it is a help.

03 Dream stock___________________________ 04 Touring turbo lite stock_________ 02 Touring stock_____________________ The "Three Amigos"
__________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ ___________Performance, Body and Service, OEM

This Is my project page.
http://www.ptcruiserlinks.com/forum/...oject-1-a.html

This is a great read from one of our own! Badglas
badglas.blogspot.com
Old 22 Feb 2013, 04:39 am
Fanatic Cruiser

Well Tim, sounds like electrical gremlins at work...at least you have a fighting chance of getting it fixed since it is an 04 (pre-TIPM). Check the battery, battery cables, all the grounds...check the various grounds on the left and right inner fenders...don't just do a visual inspection...take every thing apart...must be clean and tight...the electrical system must be 100% healthy or you will have all sorts of weird problems.

As far as the 97 Jeep goes, you didn't say whether it is a Wrangler TJ or Cherokee XJ but either way you will not find any vehicle out there that has more aftermarket support. Tons of parts and technical info available...lots of good forums like this one. This is not to say you won't have problems, Jeeps have their own quirks, but there is a ton of support available.
Busted_PT and Motorhead like this.

Last edited by Carl48; 22 Feb 2013 at 03:49 pm. Reason: spelling

Tags
dashboard, mileage, problem, selling