Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > General PT Cruiser Discussions

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
PT Cruiser's How much longer popular?

Like Tree22Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 21 Feb 2013, 11:21 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Default PT Cruiser's How much longer popular?

PT Cruiser's will the popularity last much longer?

I was asked today how long the PT Cruiser specific forums and the popularity would last for the PT given how long they have been around up to now.
Is there a drop off with events, car shows , clubs over the last couple of year's with them ?
Many aftermarket manufactures, Vendors, dealers of parts have reduced or no longer carry many parts that were once very popular.
Is this a sign of the decline of the PT popularity.

What do you all think?

What do those that have been around almost since the beginning of the PT Cruiser have to say about these questions.

What can some of us do to keep the growth going for the PT Cruiser's?
Old 22 Feb 2013, 02:29 am
Fanatic Cruiser

Default Re: PT Cruiser's How much longer popular?

All I can say is that it shifts in Belgium and The Netherlands. There are fewer people on the forum copared to 5 years ago, but these days there are more younger people buying one. So at the moment it seems to go up again.

Another thing is that only people with problems seach for a forum. But, let say, a young guy with some skills doesn 't search for a forum. He simply repairs his PT and drives.

What I do see a lot is people who buy the PT, drive it, get dissapointed by fuel consumption, break-downs or the roadability and sell it or trade it for a new car. In Belgium most car brands have these trade-in deals where you get 1500 for your car, doesn 't even matter if it drives. Then you get discount up to 30% of the cars sellinf value and this gets a lot of people to buy a new, fuel-effective, car instead of the PT that will keep draging your wallet..

Let 's face it, the PT is not for everyone. And you better know your way around the car cause many mechanics don 't want to wrk on it.
Installed Mopar sub !
Old 22 Feb 2013, 11:22 am
Obsessed Cruiser

the PT is a lot like a Honda Goldwing when i take my Wing to a non honda shop they almost close the doors to do anything almost requires to remove all the plastic and then the hard part is putting it all back on so for a simple break job its at least 2 hours longet so like said about the PT you need to ahev some ability to do some of the work OR just suck it up at a dealer and let them chargs you $150 for a flush and fill of the cooling system $95 to replace 6 plugs but wait then you get charged for the plugs at like $11 each back breaks for labor and parts is close to $200 and the parts are under $80

SO liike already said some time what we like will requirte US to do the maintance on our car
Old 22 Feb 2013, 11:51 am
Veteran Cruiser

The PT is a unique vehicle.

There's HUGE following of Corvairs, Metropolitans, etc., that have been out of production for 50 years or more.

While vehicles are lost to accidents, theft, fire etc., there's will be many followers and a 'fanatical' core because this was such a one of a kind car.

Note, people are still introducing aftermarket parts for the lowly '95-'99 Neon, and older Miata!
Old 22 Feb 2013, 12:04 pm
Fanatic Cruiser

The PT's popularity has already dropped off. This is demonstrated by the fact that book values and auction values have plummeted to near nothing, and there's PT's that don't even sell at auction with with starting bids below $2k.

When the PT came out, there was an insane waiting list, and soon there were thousands of aftermarket accessories available, and the car was booming. 10 years later, with only subtle style changes and lower quality, the popularity has plummeted.

They're still very popular with groups of enthusiasts, but in the public eye, the PT is a has been.
Old 22 Feb 2013, 12:21 pm
Fanatic Cruiser

To be honest, I like it better if I end up in a niche just because I drive a PT Cruiser. Same with my computer. I 've been an Apple user since 2002 of something like that. Back then Apple wasn 't even known to the public. And then the iPod happened

Well, I still use Apple and it's still awsome. But now sometimes I feel like someone following a hype instead of doing his own thing. So I expect one day to be the last Belgian driving a PT
Installed Mopar sub !
Old 22 Feb 2013, 01:07 pm
Senior Cruiser

I agree with Chris except for the part of not holding their value. Around here they are holding their value quite well. I had to wait a really long time to get mine. I wanted one so bad when they came out and just couldn't get one. I finally got my 09 early last year.

I really like the looks of the 1st gen better but I needed a lower mileage car and went with the 09. I love it and I love the fact that because I came so late to the game that I can find used aftermarket parts cheap. My wife was telling me the other day how she is amazed at everything I have done to it as cheap as I have.

I look at it this way. It makes me smile when i see it, smile when I drive it and so very proud to own it. That is all that really matters to me.
Old 22 Feb 2013, 01:27 pm
Fresh Cruiser

It was my first car my parents got for me 3 1/2 years ago and now I'm in college and I just not diggin it like I did when I first got it. It will always be the first car I learned how to drive stick on but thats really it. I have an 04 with 111,000 miles on it and I am actually quite eager to get rid of it to be honest...I have a nice exhaust on it, racing triggers hooked to aftermarket halos and fog lights bolted to the bottom lip. WHOLE sound system amp, speakers, and sub. Smoked lights. But I'm looking for a change. I have a 93 Jeep Cherokee 4.0 with 276,000 miles on it and I AM IN LOVE WITH IT. Thats the kind of car I would love to show off....but frankly, it seems as if everywhere you look on the road, there is another boring looking pt just cruisin along. Popularity definitely declining IMO.
Old 22 Feb 2013, 01:45 pm
Fanatic Cruiser

Beauty is the eyes of the beerholder...lol Imy Cruiser.
Busted_PT likes this.

Old 22 Feb 2013, 02:01 pm
Senior Cruiser

This are cars that you either you love them or you hate them! Something is for sure that no matter what people will think about them it will always be a unique car that was as famous as Elvis and went down like MC Hammer LOL! But we are the last of the Jedi's and having one of these still make us unique and you can not say that with other cars!
mopar1cjh likes this.