PT Cruiser Forum  
Advertisements

Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > General PT Cruiser Discussions

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
Drain Plug in Dorman Trans Pan any Good?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 28 Feb 2013, 10:54 pm
Cool Cruiser

Default Drain Plug in Dorman Trans Pan any Good?

I just got my Dorman transmission pan with the drain plug. Now I read somebody got it a few years ago and said the drain plug is a joke. Is this true? Are the stock plugs with copper gasket no good? I don't want to find out after it's installed and dripping.

According to a couple threads, the plug's supposed to be a 14mm x 1.5, which is the same size as the oil plug. And that's got the rubber gasket built in, but might be a little longer.

What did others do? Use the one that came or replace with another, which one?
Old 28 Feb 2013, 11:36 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Default Re: Drain Plug in Dorman Trans Pan any Good?

What does the "joke" mean? It is a drain plug? I recommend making sure it has a gasket. I got 2 of these pans and one did not have a gasket. Not that I will be using it anyway!
Also you consider getting a magnetic drain plug from this company?

DIMPLE Motor Oil magnets
MAGNETIC DRAIN PLUGS

Now there may be another thought here but it is to late for me to check it. I noticed that the bung was spot welded in only 4 places and not a bead weld. So I suppose that a small amount of oil seepage l may find its way around the bung area? Unfortunately I choose to relocate the drain plug on my Doorman pans and tossed the bung that was there.
Old 01 Mar 2013, 07:27 am
Cool Cruiser

They were calling the stock plug/copper gasket combo a joke. Saying that it leaked no matter how tight they made it. Would there be an issue used an oil drain plug with the rubber gasket built in? Do you think the rubber is transmission fluid safe?

I can get the oil drain plug for my car (it's the same thread), but it will be about 1/2" longer. Is there anything around that part of the pan that it will hit? I'd like to be prepared when I change it.
Old 01 Mar 2013, 08:50 am
Young Cruiser

I bought one of these pans also, and was just about to install it this weekend. I'll be very interested in the drain plug recommendations as well. The last thing I want is a "leaker" on my hands....
Old 01 Mar 2013, 09:04 am
Senior Cruiser

See if this helps:

Automatic Transmission Pan With Drain Plug
Old 01 Mar 2013, 09:19 am
Young Cruiser

I've also seen at auto parts stores where they have just washers you can buy. They're usually some kind of plastic and/or composite fiber of some sort. I'd think using that instead of the cooper washer would be better....?
Old 01 Mar 2013, 11:02 am
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ray_Dockrey View Post
This was one of the threads I read that got me worried. I'm going to get the oil drain plug and see how it fits, it has the rubber gasket on the plug, plus the bolt isn't just a large head, it's got a flange under the head. It's only around $5 at it's stocked at Napa, AZ and Advance.
Old 01 Mar 2013, 11:18 am
Obsessed Cruiser

This is not "hiTech" stuff here!
I don't really think the drain plug of any sort or the sealing washer is the issue?
Copper has been used on drain plugs as well Teflon,fiber and even a cereal box cutting a gasket to fit a drain plug all work fine. The problem area is where I stated it to be. I am sure if the ONE person that had the leak posted a picture of the pan it would be leaking around the bung area and not the drain plug? IMO don't worry about it unless you want the extra expense of having the inside bead welded around the bung?

This is the bung I removed from the Doorman pan. Notice that there is only 3 spot welds.

Old 01 Mar 2013, 11:45 am
Young Cruiser

Even with the bung only being spot welded in, it's only there to give the bolt something to hold onto (and thus pull tight against the bottom of the pan). Shouldn't the "seal" be between the washer/bolt and the bottom of the metal pan....?
Old 01 Mar 2013, 12:16 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by a_bartle View Post
Even with the bung only being spot welded in, it's only there to give the bolt something to hold onto (and thus pull tight against the bottom of the pan). Shouldn't the "seal" be between the washer/bolt and the bottom of the metal pan....?
That is a good point! The only thing I mentioned is the weak point may be the bung. Doorman sell hundreds of these a year and in the last month the place I purchased my two sold 5 others. I really doubt that there is a drain plug sealing issue and that the report of a leak from one was isolated and incomplete information at best?
I can't see any irregularities on the pan drain plug side that would really be of so much concern. Besides if there was some seepage it would be so slight most would could mostly un-noticed. I get that from my transmission to cooler/pump lines and the use of hose clamps instead of something a little more appropriate for the area?

But again my pan are well beyond me looking at them as I got them?

SEE MORE PAN PICTURES HERE

Nitro's PT Cruiser