PT Cruiser Forum  
Advertisements

Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > General PT Cruiser Discussions

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
Need Radiator Fan again! Lifetime Warranty?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07 Mar 2013, 10:39 am
Senior Cruiser

Send a message via Skype™ to Dill
Default Need Radiator Fan again! Lifetime Warranty?

Hi Everyone,

I replaced the fan in my 2002 PT last year and already it has gone out again (Actually went out this fall but it was cool enough that I had no overheating as long as I ran my heat all winter.) So now the weather is getting nicer and I have the income tax so I am prepared to fix all of my issues that are arising (The blue convertible is like a mirror to my 2002, having fixed everything that went wrong with my 2002 already)

Anyway. First I want to make sure that it is highly possible for the radiator fan to go out in such a short time. The last time I got one I ordered a cheap $50 one because I didn't have enough to fork out for a nice one. I am wondering if I need to check out some other things.

Second. I recall through my years wandering through here I have seen people talk of a magical radiator fan with a lifetime warranty (that also tends not to wear out as easily. I am wondering if it is this one. More Information for DORMAN 620022

Also has anyone had that one go out and did the company give you a new one for free or discounted?

Thanks!

To Learn More About My PT Cruiser And Its Mods Visit My PT's Blog At www.PickledPt.blogspot.com
Old 07 Mar 2013, 11:12 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Default Re: Need Radiator Fan again! Lifetime Warranty?

Yes the DORMAN fan is the one with the lifetime warranty and RockAuto is a good place to do business with and I'm sure they will replace it for free but I have heard of local (AutoZone ?? maybe) that also carries the Dorman fan so check around at your local auto stores to see if they carry the Dorman. You can easily compare prices with RockAuto so you don't get ripped off.

Are you checking the 2 speeds with a couple wires to see if one of the speeds (usually lower) is out? One positive wire to either side of the plug and one ground wire to the middle pin.

- All decisions by the Moderator are semi-permanent, can and may be changed at his discretion but definitely will be the final word. Any action performed by the Administrator or Moderators are not to be discussed on the forum.
Old 07 Mar 2013, 11:16 am
Senior Cruiser

Send a message via Skype™ to Dill

I will jump the wires to see if one or both speeds are out. I do know for a fact that the radiator fan went out slowly. At first it was occasionally you would hear it start at a idle, then eventually it just started starting less and less till its utter demise.

To Learn More About My PT Cruiser And Its Mods Visit My PT's Blog At www.PickledPt.blogspot.com
Old 07 Mar 2013, 11:20 am
Senior Cruiser

I put a Dorman in my daughter's Cruiser last July and it lasted six months. Started making all kinds of racket as the bearing failed in it. I had bought it at Autozone so they replaced it under the lifetime warranty.
Old 07 Mar 2013, 11:25 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Good to hear Ray.

Dill, I didn't mean the fan went out slowly, I meant it to say usually the slow speed goes out before the high speed. It's my understanding (others say differently) that when you turn the A/C on even though everything is cold, the low speed fan comes on (hard to see and hear) and when the temperature reaches a certain point, the high speed kicks on. You can test it that way also. That's the way mine works although they might have changed things in later years.

- All decisions by the Moderator are semi-permanent, can and may be changed at his discretion but definitely will be the final word. Any action performed by the Administrator or Moderators are not to be discussed on the forum.
Old 07 Mar 2013, 05:54 pm
Senior Cruiser

Dill buy a new mopar fan

or Rockauto, range from70-90 plus shipping.

OE Discount Parts

COOLING SYSTEM / COOLING SYSTEM / COOLING FAN / FAN MODULE
FAN MODULE PT Cruiser

MSRP Core ? Online Price
$232.00 $0.00 $166.80
View Part Diagram -- Item #8

86 TurboZ CS 2.2 T2 +20's A555
00 Durango SLT+ 5.9 4x4
02 Grand Cherokee 4.7 4x4
03 PT GT Black 5 sp Stg 1 sold
05 PT GT Silver 5 Spd Conv
06 PT GT Cool Vanilla 5 spd Conv
06 PT Base Marine Blue 40TE Conv
15 Grand Cherokee Overland 5.7 QD2
17 Challenger SRT A8 GoMango
18 JL Wrangler Sahara Punkn
20 JL Wrangler Rubicon Ocean Blue
Old 07 Mar 2013, 11:51 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

You know there is no two speed motors on the PT fans!
One motor only.
There is however a easy to replaced not ever mention very old school ballast resistor. They run about 5-10 bucks. So the next time your low speed fan control is not working check the resistor.

Seems to me a better method would be a progressive atinuated fan speed.
I think I will work on something to that effect for my PT.

Most all the fan motors are manufactured from about 3 Asain based manufactures even the MOPAR oem fan. So really the longevity is the same no matter what brand you get a replacement from.

Last edited by NitroPT; 07 Mar 2013 at 11:56 pm. Reason: spelling
Old 08 Mar 2013, 09:09 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Nitro I thought that some of the first gen fans have two speeds. Ground in the middle and two positive leads on either side?
Also thought somewhere along the line someone said that the computer took over this function. IDK If you don't mind, let me know the correct scoop on this.

Not surprised by the Asian manufacturing. But I'm betting one companies quality rejects is another's accepted product. But who gets witch Is anybody's guess. But I bet nothing get wasted over their. If it runs somebody gets it.JMHO

03 Dream stock___________________________ 04 Touring turbo lite stock_________ 02 Touring stock_____________________ The "Three Amigos"
__________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ ___________Performance, Body and Service, OEM

This Is my project page.
http://www.ptcruiserlinks.com/forum/...oject-1-a.html

This is a great read from one of our own! Badglas
badglas.blogspot.com
Old 08 Mar 2013, 09:15 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Busted_PT View Post
I thought that some of the first gen fans have two speeds. Ground in the middle and two positive leads on either side?
Also thought somewhere along the line someone said that the computer took over this function. IDK
The earlier ones DO have two speeds and when the Turbo models came out a variable speed was introduced controlled by the computer but the N/A stuck with 2 speeds.

Not sure what happened when the CAN-BUS electrical system hit the streets in 2006. I THINK the fan speeds were taken over by TIPM.

Old 08 Mar 2013, 10:00 am
Obsessed Cruiser

This is where I hate posting>>> so post me a picture of an earlier fan please!!!

The computer monitors such things as coolant temperatures and AC operation and sending the current to either the ballast or direct to fan which control's when the operation of the fans came on and which speed via voltage.
Hey this is some of you all big chance to prove me wrong! LOL

Three wires one was ground the next was direct to fan for full operation the third went to the resistor and then the fan which lowered the voltage and the speed of the fan. If you look close at the fan motor there is only 2 not 3 wires. The fan motor has an input power wire and a ground wire.
There are no two speed fan motors one speed voltage controllable. If the motor goes bad the fan motor stops working altogether.

Like I said a better way would be to attenuate the fan for more variable speeds and speed transition rather simply use old 70's technology and voltage regulate for two fan speeds low and high rpm operation