PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
potential new owner

Like Tree2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07 Mar 2013, 07:12 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Default potential new owner

I might buy a 03' PT Touring edition Automatic. With 62,000 miles. I'd only have two years left on the loan and it would be paid off and probably traded in for a Honda fit or Civic. I'd be buying it basically from my bf. He's had it since 19k and its been serviced with brenner since he bought it. Its been wrecked twice. The entire front end is new and the driver side is now new.
Drives fine, has a lot of power and gets decent mpg.

I'd be letting my 00' SL2 Saturn with 255k on it go to my aunt and keep the PT. But my brother whos a mechanic seems to think the PT's are junk. i know the PT already has had the bushing or whatever replaced already and brakes done. Thats about it.
The seat makes a squeak noise and the struts make a clunk when you hit a bump.
As you could probably tell from my current car with 255k i take very good care of my cars. So in you experts opinions, do you think it would be a good choice to at least have this pt for the next couple years? (maybe longer if i fall in love with it)
I don't see much going wrong/needing work other then regular maintenance things, but my brother seems to think it'll blow up any second. And if it helps any it does have a lifetime power-train warranty.
Old 07 Mar 2013, 07:20 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Default Re: potential new owner

Well, it's not going to blow up on you but it doesn't sound like your BF took very good care of it and his driving record it's the best. At least you'll be able to have someone to yell at when something goes wrong. At 62K, you shouldn't have a lot of problems unless your BF did something that won't show up for awhile. You should get a few good years out of it.

Your brother only sees the PT that come in for problems because of his job. There's a million and a half cruisers running around a and lot of them are great cars.

- All decisions by the Moderator are semi-permanent, can and may be changed at his discretion but definitely will be the final word. Any action performed by the Administrator or Moderators are not to be discussed on the forum.
Old 07 Mar 2013, 07:33 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Well to his defense (as little as a defense it is) The last time someone else wrecked it. In the snow they ran off the road and hit a tree.
The first time he hit a cow. Black Angus at that, at night. He still hasn't lived that down. lol

Maintenance wise its been taken care of...just not body wise. :P
Old 07 Mar 2013, 07:41 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Well, it's always hit or miss when your buying a used vehicle because you don't know the history. In your case, you do, so it sounds like you might have a good buy. Unless you want to head your brothers advice.

- All decisions by the Moderator are semi-permanent, can and may be changed at his discretion but definitely will be the final word. Any action performed by the Administrator or Moderators are not to be discussed on the forum.
Old 07 Mar 2013, 07:59 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by CREWZIN View Post
Well, it's always hit or miss when your buying a used vehicle because you don't know the history. In your case, you do, so it sounds like you might have a good buy. Unless you want to head your brothers advice.
Yes and no. I mean i know something can come up, but if its known for a lot of little things going wrong ect. i wouldn't bother. And i'm a little upset with my current car because it needs exhaust work and the engine light comes on in the cold for secondary air injection. Still not sure why.

My brother just seems to hate anything thats not foreign.
Old 07 Mar 2013, 08:10 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beachbaby902 View Post

My brother just seems to hate anything thats not foreign.
Tell him it's built in Mexico and he might feel better.

Old 07 Mar 2013, 08:14 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by CREWZIN View Post
Tell him it's built in Mexico and he might feel better.
But i'm not sure it makes me feel better. :P
Old 07 Mar 2013, 09:12 pm
Senior Cruiser

Are you kidding ? My Mexican PT is awesome... The button with the sombrero on it still has me puzzled though... ¿qué
'03 GT Blue/ autostick.. 160,000KM ( That's 100,000miles for y'all South of the border ) All the options, the heated leather is a must up here in Canada, Love the solid heavy duty feel and obvious Torque.. The Turbo is strong, fast and reliable.. People that don't understand the love of a PT, probably don't deserve to.
Old 07 Mar 2013, 09:24 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vlefaive View Post
Are you kidding ? My Mexican PT is awesome... The button with the sombrero on it still has me puzzled though... ¿qué
Are you serious or joking? lol
Old 08 Mar 2013, 12:12 am
Cool Cruiser

Mine is a 2003 ad 119,475 Miles nothing Major wrong with it All cars start having ware and tare on them as they age. These cars are only a 10 year run so when these are gone there are No more , . Take Over the Payments and enjoy the Car ,You will learn to Love It