PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
How often to change oil if rarely used?

Like Tree2Likes
  • 2 Post By Busa_Powered

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09 Mar 2013, 04:52 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Default How often to change oil if rarely used?

Sorry if this is in the wrong subforum, I couldn't find anything specific.

I bought a 2007 Touring Edition in June of 2012, with 66k miles. I have just recently hit 67K (1,000 in less than a year). I am not supposed to change oil until 3,000 according to sticker.

I drive it about three times away and only about five miles each time. It runs good, no issues.

I am worried about rotating tires, checking belts, etc., as I don't want to be hit with a big repair bill due to neglect.

What would you all suggest?

Thank you!
Old 09 Mar 2013, 05:06 pm
Banned

Default Re: How often to change oil if rarely used?

I shooting for 1500- 2000 miles a year on mine.

I drive mine weekly though if the weather is nice, and drive it quite a bit.

My oil is always clean and doing this keeps the tires from getting flat spots.

I would be more concerned about letting it sit for a long period of time.

I just changed my oil, full synthetic, and figure it will be next year til I change it again.
Vlefaive and dkeller52 like this.
Old 09 Mar 2013, 05:11 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Far as oil changes goes. 3k is soon enough. I worry about coolant and more importantly the brake system, spotting the rotors, moisture in the fluid corroding the the system. Same issues with cooling system. Watch out for dry rot with tires and belts. Better off driving more better for the car.

03 Dream stock___________________________ 04 Touring turbo lite stock_________ 02 Touring stock_____________________ The "Three Amigos"
__________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ ___________Performance, Body and Service, OEM

This Is my project page.
http://www.ptcruiserlinks.com/forum/...oject-1-a.html

This is a great read from one of our own! Badglas
badglas.blogspot.com
Old 10 Mar 2013, 12:49 am
Fresh Cruiser

Thank you all so much.

I have a friend that picks me up a couple of times a week to go shopping and have lunch out. I'll start asking her to take my car.

My plan is to go to a service center in June and have everything checked out but probably delay the oil change.

You are right, I don't drive it enough but I'm a recent widow and rarely drove before. I want to keep this car as long as I can, so any help is appreciated.
Old 10 Mar 2013, 03:41 am
Fanatic Cruiser

Change the oil at least annually. You are not driving the car often enough and long enough to get the engine up to operating temperature for any length of time if at all. This causes condensation (water) in the oil pan which leads to oxidation of the oil, causes sludge to build up, and combines with acids in the oil and makes them more corrosive. An oil change is cheap insurance.
Old 10 Mar 2013, 05:21 am
Senior Cruiser

I agree with others. Change the oil at least once a year. Check the oil on the dipstick and visually check the antifreeze level in the plastic tank, and check the tire pressure every month [34 psi]. Lay a piece of clean cardboard under the engine and look for oil/liquids. If driving on a rainy or foggy day, run the car for 10 minutes after the temperature gage reaches halfway. All times approximate!
Old 10 Mar 2013, 08:29 am
Fanatic Cruiser

Once a year for Dino or Synthetic. If you're going to start the car, it needs to fully warm up to clear out condensation in the exhaust. That usually takes 20 mins of driving. Don't start your car in the driveway and just have it reach full water temp, you'll do more harm than good.

Original Owner 135k
2005 Turbo Touring Convertible Auto w/ Stage 1, DSP inTune w/ Diablo Tune, Composite Intake, Air Box Modification, Hard Pipes, K&N, KYB's, Vision Motorworks Wires, Continental Extreme Contact DWS, Rear Sway Bar, Strut Tower Bar, UltraGauge.

Last edited by compdr59; 10 Mar 2013 at 08:32 am.
Old 10 Mar 2013, 02:43 pm
Banned

See I make often trips, just no more than 15 miles one way and I do this weekly, then out for just fun.

If you are getting 2k miles a year but letting it sit for several months then you will run into issues.

Probably better to drive it more often