Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > General PT Cruiser Discussions

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
Buying 2 PT's advice please

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09 Mar 2013, 05:16 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Default Buying 2 PT's advice please

My wife and I are planning to buy (we have a deal in place) 2 PT's. I will be driving a 2001 PT limited and she will be driving a 2006 PT Touring? I think.

I have been jumping around the site and noticed the timing belt threads and I am a little concerned there the 2001 is at 118,000 miles and the 2006 is at 97000 miles. Is there anything else I should be looking for in general?

Neither one of us has owned a PT before but we are looking forward to these cars.

Are there any accessories out there that are fun or make the PT more enjoyable? We are not looking for any great mods or anything just budget type fun items that fit your PT ??

Thanks
Scott
Old 09 Mar 2013, 05:47 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Default Re: Buying 2 PT's advice please

Timing belt is the big one. Suspension parts, motor mounts. Look for a sweet smell inside or under the hood. Sign of heating or antifreeze leaks.

03 Dream stock___________________________ 04 Touring turbo lite stock_________ 02 Touring stock_____________________ The "Three Amigos"
__________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ ___________Performance, Body and Service, OEM

This Is my project page.
http://www.ptcruiserlinks.com/forum/...oject-1-a.html

This is a great read from one of our own! Badglas
badglas.blogspot.com
Old 10 Mar 2013, 01:28 pm
Banned

Exclamation Re: Buying 2 PT's advice please

Quote:
Originally Posted by ohioscott View Post
My wife and I are planning to buy (we have a deal in place) 2 PT's. I will be driving a 2001 PT limited and she will be driving a 2006 PT Touring? I think.

I have been jumping around the site and noticed the timing belt threads and I am a little concerned there the 2001 is at 118,000 miles and the 2006 is at 97000 miles. Is there anything else I should be looking for in general?

Neither one of us has owned a PT before but we are looking forward to these cars.

Are there any accessories out there that are fun or make the PT more enjoyable? We are not looking for any great mods or anything just budget type fun items that fit your PT ??

Thanks
Scott

Fun is a personal taste. I hope you arent paying too much for the 06, there are many other 06's out there with fewer miles on them.

Front suspension issues are common, some tranny issues, electrical gremlins show up. Read more on here, that is all I can think of.

Good Luck and enjoy them, I have an 06 with 25k on it, and my wife has a 07 with 55k
Old 10 Mar 2013, 03:00 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Thanks for the replies

I will spend some time going over them mechanically. It appears everything is working on both cars ( I am having the dealership fix a non functional gas gauge on the 2002) Other than that all other things worked.

I saw a post on Trans fluid specific to the PT and will make note of that. Is there any reason I should stay away from full synthetic motor oil in these cars? I have grown fond of full syn in the last 10 years and would like to use it in these.

thanks again
Scott
Old 14 Mar 2013, 01:37 pm
Fresh Cruiser

thanks for the replies, my wife picked hers up a couple days ago and mine had a bad gas gauge that it took the dealer some time to sort out. I seems it was a bad float and a wiring harness burned up or something. I will know more when I get home to check it out.

hoping for good years to come with cars.
Old 14 Mar 2013, 01:40 pm
Fresh Cruiser

by fun items I was getting at cell phone mounts for hands free and GPS mounts that seem to work well with the PT interior. Maybe fuzzy dice and shag carpet on the dash

Anybody have tips on protecting the back seats from a 3year old potential damage with car seat and inevitable mess???

thanks
Scott
Old 14 Mar 2013, 01:54 pm
Banned

Exclamation Re: Buying 2 PT's advice please

Just get some red towels to put down under the car seat

Quote:
Originally Posted by ohioscott View Post
by fun items I was getting at cell phone mounts for hands free and GPS mounts that seem to work well with the PT interior. Maybe fuzzy dice and shag carpet on the dash

Anybody have tips on protecting the back seats from a 3year old potential damage with car seat and inevitable mess???

thanks
Scott
Old 15 Mar 2013, 06:59 pm
Young Cruiser

Congrats. I got mine yesterday and dropped it off at a mechanic I trust to give it it's state inspection as mine came from out of state, and they're also checking it over from top to bottom.

So far, they found a few minor things that I knew about so we'll see if anything else comes up. Hopefully not, and I'll have it home early next week.

As for yours, I hope you and your wife enjoy them.
Old 19 Mar 2013, 11:59 am
Obsessed Cruiser

No reason not to use sythetic oil - for the Auto Trans, be sure only ATF + 4 goes in, and for coolant, only distilled water and Zerex g-05.

'05 Limited Turbo Lite, (Silver, of course)4-wheel ABS, Sunroof, Spoiler. Mods: E&G Classic grill, K&N FIPK, BTG duals, rear lowered 1.5", LED washer lights, $20 catch can, Aoogah horn, Weatherflectors, Sunroof Deflector, Fuzzy Dice, rear logo flames, rear pinstripe graphic, Gen3 Taillights, rear sway bar, hood struts, Strut bar.
Traded in '02 Silver Touring Edition w/87,000 miles
Old 20 Mar 2013, 01:27 am
Senior Cruiser

We are assuming your coolant color is orange. I agree with the Quickman, and adding mopar [hoat] antifreeze as the only other coolant option.