Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > General PT Cruiser Discussions

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
Bad Ignition Cylinder Tumblers

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 13 Mar 2013, 07:21 am
Fresh Cruiser

Default Bad Ignition Cylinder Tumblers

So this recently started to go bad. I managed to get into run position (or w/e it is) to remove it. I just removed the tumblers and put it back in.

My question is what concerns am I not thinking about by not having the tumblers in.

1. My car has alarm system so you need the push button to disable it. Even if you open car with correct key/start it alarm stays on (i know i did this by accident once, opened car with key not push button thing, started it thinking that would disable alarm, nope have to push the button).

2. My car will start with any key but will shut down after 1 second if they key in the ignition isn't the one with the chip inside.

So with that info what am I missing by not paying $60 for a new cylinder with tumblers (btw If anyone knows of a place where you can just get the springs for inside and/or tumblers without paying for a whole knew cylinder) and just leaving the tumblers out.

(Yes I know you can remove key while car is running, doesn't bother me.).
Old 13 Mar 2013, 08:32 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Default Re: Bad Ignition Cylinder Tumblers

Have you checked eBay for this part?my thinking is try locking manually. And trytthe key.

03 Dream stock___________________________ 04 Touring turbo lite stock_________ 02 Touring stock_____________________ The "Three Amigos"
__________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ ___________Performance, Body and Service, OEM

This Is my project page.
http://www.ptcruiserlinks.com/forum/...oject-1-a.html

This is a great read from one of our own! Badglas
badglas.blogspot.com
Old 13 Mar 2013, 01:26 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Nah I know i can buy off ebay. I was just wondering if i wasn't thinking of a downfall by not having tumblers in the ignition.
Old 13 Mar 2013, 03:53 pm
Veteran Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by dardack View Post
(Yes I know you can remove key while car is running, doesn't bother me.).
i never removed the tumblers before, but i always yank the key out when i get a new car. i don't have the key with the chip, and i like being able to take the key out with it running. it's handy for starting it in the winter/leaving it running. i also take it out when i pick up a shady passenger so they can't turn my car off if i feel the need to crash it.

if it runs fine how it is and doesn't cause you any issues, i would just leave it alone.

get rid of the alarm if it's annoying you. all they do is piss people off and cause electrical problems down the road. if i wanted to steal a car with an alarm i'd just set it off a few times in the middle of the night and wait for you to turn it off for me.