Advertisements
Possible blown transmission

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By NitroPT

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 13 Mar 2013, 08:33 am
Fresh Cruiser

Default Possible blown transmission

I have a 2003 PT Cruiser with 49,000 miles. Two days ago I began noticing problems. When coming to a stop from a high rate of speed (60 mph) I noticed that the car would hesitate and jerk. As soon as I started to accelerate the car would act normal. I checked the transmission fluid and it was fine.

Today when I was coming to a stop the car begin to hesitate and jerk. As I accelerated the RPMs went to 3,500 and would not shift into the next gear. The car was also making a whining noise I had not heard before. As I looked at the dash I noticed that the speedometer was no longer working.

I had to drive about ˝ mile doing 10 miles per hour before I found a spot to pull over. I had the car towed to my house, and did some online research to find other people had a similar problem that was solved with an Output Speed Sensor.

I replaced the Output Speed Sensor, and took it for a test drive. Right away I noticed the speedometer was working again. The car accelerated and shifted from 1st, 2nd, and 3rd normally. I decided to drive it on the highway. I drove on the highway for about 1 mile. I exited, and came to a stoplight. As I stopped the car started to hesitate again. As I begin to accelerate the RPMs went high and started making the whining noise again, but the transmission shifted. I decided to turn around so I stopped, and as I tried to take the car just rev’d and would not take off. I shifted into park, and then back into drive and the car took off.

As I began driving home the transmission was slipping in and out of gears. I barely made it home. When I got home I took the Output Speed Sensor off, and found it covered in metal shavings. See the attached picture.

http://i48.tinypic.com/2ecniwn.jpg

I keep hoping that maybe the transmission is acting up because of a sensor, clogged or bad solenoid, or clogged filter. I am thinking about dropping the transmission pan, and looking to see how much metal I have in the pan.

Does anyone have any suggestions? Am I kidding myself thinking that it could be something other than a blown transmission?
Old 13 Mar 2013, 09:12 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Default Re: Possible blown transmission

Doesn't look good. But if you have that on the speed sensor the filter Is clogged. You might do a filter and fluid change and get by for a while. Do you do performance driving? Or just drive it easy?

03 Dream stock___________________________ 04 Touring turbo lite stock_________ 02 Touring stock_____________________ The "Three Amigos"
__________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ ___________Performance, Body and Service, OEM

This Is my project page.
http://www.ptcruiserlinks.com/forum/...oject-1-a.html

This is a great read from one of our own! Badglas
badglas.blogspot.com
Old 13 Mar 2013, 09:12 am
Senior Cruiser

I would say the transmission has went.
Old 13 Mar 2013, 09:23 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Very unusual for this milage. Unless some heavy sport driving or low fluid in the past.

03 Dream stock___________________________ 04 Touring turbo lite stock_________ 02 Touring stock_____________________ The "Three Amigos"
__________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ ___________Performance, Body and Service, OEM

This Is my project page.
http://www.ptcruiserlinks.com/forum/...oject-1-a.html

This is a great read from one of our own! Badglas
badglas.blogspot.com
Old 13 Mar 2013, 09:56 am
Obsessed Cruiser

The fact that it still will go into gear and move indicates that it is not necessarily a blown transmission. There are several regulators and valves in the transmission that over time from lack of periodic maintenance can become sticky from oil varnish. This will effect how the transmission will shift and operate much like your description. Usually a fluid change and some additives will clean them up to function properly again. Look at the color of the fluid, if it is still a nice bright red then you are most likely still able to nurture the transmission back to health for a few more thousand miles?
Naturally this is all internet guess work diagnostics and on one can tell you without physically looking over your PT physically for sure what the problem is. There are very few vehicle enthusiasts that have actually completely taken apart an auto transmission to understand how they work? I do recommend going to a Transmission specialty shop and not a general auto service center. The shop may do a line pressure test which tells much about the condition of the transmission.
Busted_PT likes this.
Old 13 Mar 2013, 02:50 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Busted_PT,

I purchased the car at 42,000 miles and have driven it easy. I am not sure about the previous owner.

NitroPT,

The fluid looks darker than it should. I think I will try a fluid and filter change first. You mentioned additives in addition to the fluid...what additives are you referring to?
Old 13 Mar 2013, 04:11 pm
Veteran Cruiser

Transmissions DO get filings in them, however I think this amount on a high up sensor is excessive.

Coupled with it's failure, I'd suggest disassembling transmission and inspecting components.
Old 13 Mar 2013, 04:23 pm
Fanatic Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by UptownSport View Post
Transmissions DO get filings in them, however I think this amount on a high up sensor is excessive.

x2...anything making that much metal has got big problems.
Old 13 Mar 2013, 05:21 pm
Fresh Cruiser

That was my thought considering that pic was taken after the sensor was installed, and the car was driven 2 miles. I was shocked that within 2 miles that many shavings could get stuck to the sensor.
Old 13 Mar 2013, 07:21 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

I was on my cell phone and the picture did not come up. For my response earlier. Never the less my post stills applies generally speaking.

An automatic has more none magnetic metals and you seldom see to much of them. In the case of the picture and your color fluid I would say time for a rebuild. Remember to get a new or rebuild torque converter.