Advertisements

Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > General PT Cruiser Discussions

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
Please give it to me very slowly!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 13 Mar 2013, 10:03 am
Fresh Cruiser

Default Please Give It To Me Very S L O W L Y!

Hi Everyone,

I am a brand new registrant today, as I stumbled upon this Forum through a Bing search and I must say that besides of course needing your very gracious Help, you people are Truly Awesome to do what you so gratefully do!

OK, why am I here right?
Well besides my 2006 PT Cruiser Touring Edition, which I "Kept" in pristine condition, being recently and sadly Keyed along the entire passenger side and hatch, by someone not liking a FL License plate parking in a NY Apt Community, through a relocation move back to the ZOO (Home), I have been having, what I only believe is Battery problems, especially with the BIG weather change and difference, as my car now requires a constant jump after it is parked overnight and my concern and 2 part question to you is this:

On my first Jump attempt, not being familiar that the battery posts are reversed from what I have been use to, I Yes...had a Brain-Blackout and Stupidly, Stupidly, Stupidly reversed the polarity Hook-up and the cables of course got real HOT until I was able to thankfully disconnect them and I very kindly, yet very gingerly would S L O W L Y like to know: Did I Destroy something other then the very Obvious and Apparent "Owes-Me- Nothing" 5 year old Interstate Battery, and if Hopefully not , what Battery do you graciously and Expertly recommend to get as a replacement?

Thanking Anyone & Everyone so kindly and in advance,
Stupid SDe

Last edited by SDe; 13 Mar 2013 at 10:12 am.
Old 13 Mar 2013, 10:43 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Default Re: Please Give It To Me Very S L O W L Y!

dought you hurt anything interstate is a great battery but opinions will varry on that question

get a new battery and start it hopefully it starts and there are no codes im sure that there is some kind of a safe guard aginst shorting out the big stuff
Old 13 Mar 2013, 11:21 am
Fresh Cruiser

Default Re: Please give it to me very slowly!

Hi cruserdad1976,

Thanks so much for the quick response as it is so appreciated!

What do you recommend for the replacement battery another Interstate?

Regards,
SDe
Old 13 Mar 2013, 12:40 pm
Banned

Question Re: Please give it to me very slowly!

I am going to address the first part.

Why do you think it was someone not liking your FL plates?

I have been keyed before when I was in college. I thought I was something special and took up two parking spots.

I thought since I wasnt parked up close, it was across the street, it wouldnt matter. I didnt know that this particular lot fills up as well.

Someone let me know that wasnt acceptable by using his key on my truck.

Some people go as far as doing this to other drivers that they feel violated them by driving too fast, cutting them off etc etc.

I wouldnt think a plate would matter. I use to run pretty offensive bumper stickers when I was younger and never got keyed.

Its easy to speculate someone didnt like your plate, which might be the case, but we may never know.

Hopefully you got it taken care of

Last edited by Busa_Powered; 13 Mar 2013 at 12:45 pm. Reason: subject/verb agreement
Old 13 Mar 2013, 01:34 pm
Dedicated Cruiser

Send a message via Yahoo to Candyman
Smile Re: Please give it to me very slowly!

Hey their SDe,

First off welcome to the Forum. Lots of way cool people here always willing to help a fellow Cruiser in need.

First up, Depending on the severity and how deep the key marks are, you may be able to have a good detailer or body shop wet sand them down and buff them out.

If they are too deep to salvage, I would check around for a good local mobile air brush guy first. Their are mobile services who specialize in things like this including small bumper repairs, scuffs, and so forth that can come to you and air brush out the scratches at minimal cost. Most of these guys do a lot of work with Dealerships on lot damage from cars being moved around in confined space, to used cars that need touch up. Something like that should run somewhere around $150 - $200 or so on average as where most body shops on average charge around $250 - $300 per panel which if your talking two panels, would be somewhere in the neighborhood of $600 plus for the repair.

Next, as far as your battery is concerned, sounds like its about done. Battery life on average is somewhere around 5 years or so. If its newer, it might have a dead cell or other related type of issue which to me sounds more like the case. If you do want to check and see how old your battery is, once you pull it out, you can look for a heat stamp somewhere on the top casing with a letter and a number. The letter indicates month A=Jan and so forth, and the number indicates year. Like I was saying, anything over 5 years, go ahead and replace it.

The battery you are looking for is a 26R. Same part number with Interstate. I am not sure, but Interstate used to offer both a standard version as well as an upgraded battery with higher cranking amps which is a better choice if you have a lot of electronics like big stereo, and so forth creating more of a draw. May want to check the options available.

Also just to make sure, you should be able to have either whoever installs your battery, or you should be able to hit your local auto parts store and ask to have your charging system checked. Its a simple process where they first check your battery using a volt meter to check the volts in the battery. Then they have you start your car and then turn on the headlights, wipers, ac, and so forth to create a draw. The voltage will drop slightly and then build back up. If it does not come back up, then your alternator may no longer be producing enough charge and may need to be replaced. The test takes about 5 minutes, is usually free, and is a pretty good indicator if you have a bigger problem or not.

Your battery still should have enough surface charge if you can still crank it to retain memory, however if it goes completely dead and after replacing it you find something not working like windows don't go up or down, interior lights stay on or other related type of small hick up, don't panic. PT's for one reason or another seem to get ghosts in the system if the voltage runs out completely. Easy fix, pull the battery cable back off and let it sit for about 5 minutes and replace to reset the system and it should resolve all issues.

That's my two cents anyway.

Check out my Custom PT Club Website: http://westvalleyforum.proboards.com/index.cgi
And my ever growing PT Photo Archives: http://s458.photobucket.com/albums/q...uiserArchives/

Please Like my Hot Rod Restoration and Detail Shop on Facebook.
https://www.facebook.com/BlueDiamondDetailing
Old 13 Mar 2013, 03:21 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by SDe View Post
Hi cruserdad1976,

Thanks so much for the quick response as it is so appreciated!

What do you recommend for the replacement battery another Interstate?

Regards,
SDe
good write uop candyman
I like interstate battries i whave them in my chevy duramax and in my tractor they seem to hold up well
good luck
Old 13 Mar 2013, 08:10 pm
Fanatic Cruiser

If you put the jumper cables on wrong you could very well have fried the ecm. Working at a junkyard most of my life I have seen this alot. I do hope for your sake this isn't the case. Good luck. And welcome to the forum from a former Long Islander.

FEBRUARY CRUISER OF THE MONTH
Old 13 Mar 2013, 08:34 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Busa_Powered View Post
I am going to address the first part.

Why do you think it was someone not liking your FL plates? Hi Busa_Powered, Thank you so kindly for your time and response as it is very much appreciated. In answer to your question: The reason why I am more then sure that it is my FL Plates is because, I parked in a spot for a long period of time (3 weeks) when I first arrived, setting up my apt and when I went to my car the night security tagged my car saying it was illegally parked and is for Tenants Only and I know it was a Tenant who in fact must of reported it! Now not to PO anyone I moved my car to the other side of the Complex only to me out and find my car covered from front to back with Vanilla ice-cream! I cleaned off the car and parked it 3 spots from there and the next morning I come out and my car is Unbelievably Keyed on the passengers side from the front all the way around the Hatch, so you tell me, without ever knowing or bothering with anyone here, other then my car being the Only One with FL plates, why is this Happening?

I have been keyed before when I was in college. I thought I was something special and took up two parking spots. [COLOR="rgb(160, 82, 45)"]I Never did or do that, I am paying my rent, like everyone else, and I park where there is a spot, as there is no designated spots for anyone, as it is First come First take!

I thought since I wasnt parked up close, it was across the street, it wouldnt matter. I didnt know that this particular lot fills up as well.

Someone let me know that wasnt acceptable by using his key on my truck.

Some people go as far as doing this to other drivers that they feel violated them by driving too fast, cutting them off etc etc. [COLOR="rgb(160, 82, 45)"][COLOR="rgb(160, 82, 45)"]I Totally understand, even though I Think that is just a very Spineless Vicious act, yet I have not been in NY and driving that much for that to be!

I wouldnt think a plate would matter. I use to run pretty offensive bumper stickers when I was younger and never got keyed. [COLOR="rgb(160, 82, 45)"[COLOR="rgb(160, 82, 45)"] [COLOR="rgb(160, 82, 45)"]It is the Only Thing I can come up with and the Only thing different from all the cars here?

Its easy to speculate someone didnt like your plate, which might be the case, but we may never know.

Hopefully you got it taken care of
[COLOR="rgb(160, 82, 45)"][COLOR="rgb(160, 82, 45)"][COLOR="rgb(160, 82, 45)" [COLOR="rgb(160, 82, 45)"] No unfortunately Not (See Attached)

Thanks!
Best Regards,
SDe
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0054.jpg (92.3 KB, 11 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0057.jpg (90.8 KB, 12 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0058.jpg (91.2 KB, 9 views)

Last edited by SDe; 13 Mar 2013 at 08:45 pm.
Old 13 Mar 2013, 08:49 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by needmoretoys View Post
If you put the jumper cables on wrong you could very well have fried the ecm. Working at a junkyard most of my life I have seen this alot. I do hope for your sake this isn't the case. Good luck. And welcome to the forum from a former Long Islander.
Hi needmoretoys, Thank you so much for your kind invite, time and expertise as it is very much appreciated, yet I thought I said: Please give it to me S L O W L Y!

So with this very LOVELY News and possibility...Is there any way to tell?
Old 13 Mar 2013, 09:11 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Candyman View Post
Hey their SDe,

First off welcome to the Forum. Lots of way cool people here always willing to help a fellow Cruiser in need.

First up, Depending on the severity and how deep the key marks are, you may be able to have a good detailer or body shop wet sand them down and buff them out.

If they are too deep to salvage, I would check around for a good local mobile air brush guy first. Their are mobile services who specialize in things like this including small bumper repairs, scuffs, and so forth that can come to you and air brush out the scratches at minimal cost. Most of these guys do a lot of work with Dealerships on lot damage from cars being moved around in confined space, to used cars that need touch up. Something like that should run somewhere around $150 - $200 or so on average as where most body shops on average charge around $250 - $300 per panel which if your talking two panels, would be somewhere in the neighborhood of $600 plus for the repair.

Next, as far as your battery is concerned, sounds like its about done. Battery life on average is somewhere around 5 years or so. If its newer, it might have a dead cell or other related type of issue which to me sounds more like the case. If you do want to check and see how old your battery is, once you pull it out, you can look for a heat stamp somewhere on the top casing with a letter and a number. The letter indicates month A=Jan and so forth, and the number indicates year. Like I was saying, anything over 5 years, go ahead and replace it.

The battery you are looking for is a 26R. Same part number with Interstate. I am not sure, but Interstate used to offer both a standard version as well as an upgraded battery with higher cranking amps which is a better choice if you have a lot of electronics like big stereo, and so forth creating more of a draw. May want to check the options available.

Also just to make sure, you should be able to have either whoever installs your battery, or you should be able to hit your local auto parts store and ask to have your charging system checked. Its a simple process where they first check your battery using a volt meter to check the volts in the battery. Then they have you start your car and then turn on the headlights, wipers, ac, and so forth to create a draw. The voltage will drop slightly and then build back up. If it does not come back up, then your alternator may no longer be producing enough charge and may need to be replaced. The test takes about 5 minutes, is usually free, and is a pretty good indicator if you have a bigger problem or not.

Your battery still should have enough surface charge if you can still crank it to retain memory, however if it goes completely dead and after replacing it you find something not working like windows don't go up or down, interior lights stay on or other related type of small hick up, don't panic. PT's for one reason or another seem to get ghosts in the system if the voltage runs out completely. Easy fix, pull the battery cable back off and let it sit for about 5 minutes and replace to reset the system and it should resolve all issues.

That's my two cents anyway.
Hi Candyman,

Thank you so much for the very warm invite, Super Great Detailed Explanation and Expertise instructions as you are just AWESOME and it is SOOO very much appreciated!

I Think or better yet I know I Now have Once again BIG Time Blundered, by listening to some advice on trying to wet sand the keyed scratches out myself with Spray Wax, 2000 grit wet/dry sandpaper and Polishing Compound, because as soon as I tried following the instructions and lightly sanding the scratches it just quickly went right to the primer and I knew then and there that this car now needs a full Paint job! (See Attached) for original keyed pictures, as the only salvageable one was on the hatch, which just sanded and buffed right out!

I will definitely take your advice and replace the Battery, as I was going to get the Bosch one from PepBoys here by me, yet if you feel and suggest I get the Interstate again, then that is what I will get!

I will also get my charging system properly checked out, as I am a bit disheartened with PepBoys, as when my car arrived in last October, i brought the car to them for a oil change, overlook and full electrical and fluid check and they evidently charged me for doing neither, as I just looked at the Battery terminals and they are Unbelievably covered with corrosion, and through just Sheer Disgust , I poured some Coke on them, and All I can and want to say is: Be Careful drinking this Stuff Everyone, as the corrosion just disappeared from the terminals on contact!

Thanks SO Much for "Everything"
Best Regards,
SDe
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0058.jpg (91.2 KB, 16 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0057.jpg (90.8 KB, 12 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0054.jpg (92.3 KB, 12 views)

Last edited by SDe; 13 Mar 2013 at 09:13 pm.