PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
Can I Run My PT on water???

Like Tree2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 15 Mar 2013, 09:20 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Default Can I Run My PT on water???

I'm wondering if my 2001 PT Limited Edition with 99k that I recently discovered is leaking coolant, will accept water in place of antifreeze and for how long.. basically I'd like to save up some $$$ instead of paying for a new water pump.
Old 15 Mar 2013, 09:27 pm
Senior Cruiser

Default Re: Can I Run My PT on water???

well, depends where you live. if it's winter, you need antifreeze. if it's summer and hot, you need antifreeze.

if you continue to use water, it'll freeze and expand and then you have broken parts. if it boils, you will have major overheating problems along with head gasket turmoil.
Old 15 Mar 2013, 09:32 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

These things leak in a lot if places. Might want to save some big bucks and check a few things out. Water pump is actually one of the least likely of leaks.

03 Dream stock___________________________ 04 Touring turbo lite stock_________ 02 Touring stock_____________________ The "Three Amigos"
__________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ ___________Performance, Body and Service, OEM

This Is my project page.
http://www.ptcruiserlinks.com/forum/...oject-1-a.html

This is a great read from one of our own! Badglas
badglas.blogspot.com
Old 15 Mar 2013, 10:02 pm
Senior Cruiser

During my second tour in the "Stan" we just urinated in our radiators....... Didn't have to.... just drunk....
rob342 likes this.
'03 GT Blue/ autostick.. 160,000KM ( That's 100,000miles for y'all South of the border ) All the options, the heated leather is a must up here in Canada, Love the solid heavy duty feel and obvious Torque.. The Turbo is strong, fast and reliable.. People that don't understand the love of a PT, probably don't deserve to.
Old 16 Mar 2013, 02:27 am
Senior Cruiser

Water will cause the water pump seal to fail sooner. More importantly, it will create corrosion with aluminum and cause major problems.
Old 16 Mar 2013, 02:50 am
Fanatic Cruiser

You could always try to get used antifreeze at your local junk yard. Where I worked people would come in all the time for it. Bring your own container.

FEBRUARY CRUISER OF THE MONTH
Old 16 Mar 2013, 07:12 am
Fresh Cruiser

Quote:
These things leak in a lot if places. Might want to save some big bucks and check a few things out. Water pump is actually one of the least likely of leaks.

Please elaborate, where else should I check, I had a local mechanic look under the car and they said water pump also the oil change guy said water pump; the thing is, is its a fairly new water pump, I just had it replaced with the timing belt last summer but the guy that put it in also did a radiator fan that I ended up having to re-replace so he may have just done shotty work
Old 16 Mar 2013, 07:35 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Depends on the pump supplier. But let's say its not the pump. Check the radiator cap, the thermostat housing they crack, and the small hose that fastened to the water neck or thermostat housing. It may be loose. Should see some white streaks somewhere on the housing or underneath the housing on the block or accessories brackets. A very good tech I know recently made same misdiagnosis but discovered it to be from the area I told you about.

03 Dream stock___________________________ 04 Touring turbo lite stock_________ 02 Touring stock_____________________ The "Three Amigos"
__________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ ___________Performance, Body and Service, OEM

This Is my project page.
http://www.ptcruiserlinks.com/forum/...oject-1-a.html

This is a great read from one of our own! Badglas
badglas.blogspot.com
Old 16 Mar 2013, 09:15 am
Fresh Cruiser

Thank you all for your advice. I got my PT in March 2011 by trading in my first truck, I loved that truck and was very sad to see it go but the PT has proven to me time and time again that it was meant for me. At times money was very tight and I had to sleep in my PT & I slept like a baby..still can catch a nap in it in between shifts. I've come to love the PT and don't want to see it die, it only has 99k but my girlfriend is asian and always says I should get a nissan or honda.

First thing I replaced were the tires $500
Then the alternator $1000
Then the timing belt & water pump on the cheap $400
Then the radiator fan
Then a new new radiator fan $500
And now since I'm leaking coolant and a mechanic says its the water pump I'm looking at another timing belt w/pump job $760

So I paid $5,900 when she had 78k in 2011 now she has 99k I've got $3,200 in her.

I just want the thing to hit a stride and go a long time without a major repair because I love the seats, the handling the sunroof & of course the ability to catch some Zzz's on the go!
Old 16 Mar 2013, 11:01 am
Veteran Cruiser

i ran my mustang with distilled water and water-wetter all summer and it was fine. i took it to the dragstrip and the tech inspector went bipolar about me using anti-freeze, and said if i came back with it next time, i couldn't run.

at a bare minimum, if you are going to use water, use distilled water with some sort of additive, like waterwetter, and you'll be fine.

-on a side note, the waterpump should never fail after only 20k miles. i would wonder if it was really changed last time..

Last edited by rob342; 16 Mar 2013 at 11:17 am.