PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
Cigarette smell out

Like Tree7Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 17 Mar 2013, 03:29 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Default Cigarette smell out

I bought my 02 PT knowing someone had smoked in it. The dealer sent it somewhere for An Ionizer treatment.

It did not get the job done

Anyone have any trusted methods to remove cigarette smoke smell from auto interior?

Thanks
Scott
Old 17 Mar 2013, 03:58 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Default Re: Cigarette smell out

Not joking around, try a few cans of Fabreeze and a couple of hanging air fresheners.

- All decisions by the Moderator are semi-permanent, can and may be changed at his discretion but definitely will be the final word. Any action performed by the Administrator or Moderators are not to be discussed on the forum.
Old 17 Mar 2013, 04:25 pm
Fanatic Cruiser

The problem with this is that if the previous owner smoked in the car with the windows closed, and the air conditioner on, like I see on the road a lot, then you're pretty much SOL.

The cigarette smoke will travel all through the car's ac, seats, carpets, inside the dash electronics, etc. Stinking everything in its path.

Yes, you will get rid of some of the stench..but not all, it will always smell like it's been smoked in.
Old 17 Mar 2013, 05:53 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

OK I don't think it is that impossible. It dose take some real cleaning of the upholstery. One of those bissell cleaning machines help. If everything looks clean to the eye then you can use carpet cleaner and a brush and water with fabric softener in lt. Spray the fabric or carpet then scrub in some of the water solution. Then use the bissell to spray and suck out all the dirt and smell from the seats and carpet. Clean all the plastic surface areas as well with a household cleaner. The head liner is a little tricky you want to be careful not to get to ruff or to wet. A good cleaner a soft brush and clean towels to to wipe it down to pull dirt and cleaner from the headliner. Also as CREWZIN said fabreze. You can go out under the hood and spray some in to the ventilation area through the location of the interior ventilation filter. You can spray some in the vents inside but be careful to not get to much in the center ones and it drip into your radio shorting it out. Did that once.

03 Dream stock___________________________ 04 Touring turbo lite stock_________ 02 Touring stock_____________________ The "Three Amigos"
__________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ ___________Performance, Body and Service, OEM

This Is my project page.
http://www.ptcruiserlinks.com/forum/...oject-1-a.html

This is a great read from one of our own! Badglas
badglas.blogspot.com
Old 17 Mar 2013, 10:31 pm
Dedicated Cruiser

Send a message via Yahoo to Candyman
Smile Re: Cigarette smell out

Hey their ohioscott,

Too bad your not closer to me or I would take care of it for you. Its not really terribly difficult to get out, but does take some experience with tough odor neutralization and the right equipment to ge the right job done.

My best advice would be to call around to some professional carpet cleaners. Ask if they have access to an Ozone Machine. Basically an Ozone machine is placed in the vehicle for a set period of time where it sucks air in and scrubs out the bacteria causing the odor. Their are small ones that are alright but not for commercial application and may not get everything out. This is why its better to have someone who has a good commercial unit which is normally used to get smoke out of motel rooms. They can also use this machine in combination with a hot water extractor and neutralizers to help as well.

You may want to give this a try. Click on the Link.
No Smoke Deodorizer by Dakota Products
Odor Bomb

Another thing you might try would be to hit up a Janitorial Supply Store. The place I deal with locally has tons of good neutralizers to handle everything from smoke, to pet urine and so forth. Please note that Ozone is still the best solution but chemical sprays are a good back up plan if need be.

I also recommend changing out the cabin filter as that most likely is contaminated and will push the smoke smell through the ventilation system and back into the car.

That's at least a couple things to try. Let me know how it goes.

Check out my Custom PT Club Website: http://westvalleyforum.proboards.com/index.cgi
And my ever growing PT Photo Archives: http://s458.photobucket.com/albums/q...uiserArchives/

Please Like my Hot Rod Restoration and Detail Shop on Facebook.
https://www.facebook.com/BlueDiamondDetailing
Old 18 Mar 2013, 03:09 am
Senior Cruiser

First I would clean all the interior windows with an unscented window cleaner. Then clean any hard plastic surface with a solution of unscented dish detergent and some borax. Sprinkle baking soda on the seats and rugs. Let the car sit in the sun [closed] for a day, and vacuum. This will make it better but will not cure the problem. Then sniff the seats and rugs to determine what to do next. Open doors on a sunny day helps. Mold, mildew, and tobacco smoke can combine to confuse your senses.

Scented products [containing unknown chemicals] simply mask the odors. And they last a long time [some of which get absorbed by your body].

Ozone generators kill odors and bacteria. Unfortunately, I have no experience with them and can only repeat what I've read. Ozone is an oxidizer, and it degrades plastic and wiring if over used for too long.
Old 18 Mar 2013, 11:50 am
Senior Cruiser

Okay. Im gonna tell you a secret here.

Take 2 APPLES.

Cut said apples in half.

Stick each half of the apples into the cup holders face up.

Roll up all the windows, and let the car sit over night.

Go out in the morning, remove the now BROWN apples and throw them out.

Cigarette smell gone.

NO LIE. NO JOKE. Very old trick for removing cigarette smell. The apples absorb and remove the odor instead of masking it :-)
CREWZIN and Candyman like this.
Old 18 Mar 2013, 08:25 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Thank you for the replies.

I am going to try the Apple thing first just too damn Courious not to.

Then if need be I will get into serious elbow grease cleaning. And go down the list this weekend.

So far Fabrise has made it tolerable but the Wife has major issues with the slightest cigarette smell so I need to do good here

Thanks again
Scott
Old 18 Mar 2013, 09:02 pm
Banned

All great advice

People that smoke so bad you can smell it when they get close to me are not riding with me even if they don't smoke in the car. That stuff lingers on them and gets trapped In the car, it's nasty
Old 19 Mar 2013, 02:43 am
Senior Cruiser

Pluminator: I tried your suggestion about the apples. Now, how do I get the deer out of the car?