Advertisements
Buying my first Cruiser!

Like Tree1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 18 Mar 2013, 10:15 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Default Buying my first Cruiser!

Hello,

So I am looking at buying a used PT cruiser from a dealer in boise. It is an 06 PT limited with 55 thousand miles on it.

I was just hoping to get some advice as to what to look for before I purchase it. And besides a personal inspection I was hoping to have a mechanic look it over for common problems. Burning oil, lose engine mount, etc. Is there anything else I should ask them to look at?

Finally I hear a lot about the water pump and timing belt on here. is 55 thousand miles on it too soon to ask for them to replace them at purchase as many others seemed to have done?

I'd appreciate any advice you would have, as this will be the first time purchasing my own vehicle.
Old 18 Mar 2013, 11:39 pm
Banned

Exclamation Re: Buying my first Cruiser!

Welcome

Congrats on your first car purchase

Good job finding an 06 with 55k, not shabby at all miles wise.

If you dont mind me asking, how much is the price?

My wife bought her 07 with 39k a few years ago. I was on here beforehand and was armed with some good advice. It saved me 1700 dollars by knowing what to look for.

Ours the front suspension was noisy, replaced all of that, and the AC wasnt blowing cold when it was idleing, only when the revs came up. It also shuttered upon taking off. This was the fan, it was replaced too.

Since you are having it looked at they can check the front suspension for issues.

Also might want to do a vin check and find out its history. Quite a few of the lower mileage ones were Rental Cars. Some dont mind that, but something to look at.

We havent had any issues with hers since all the work was done. We walked away from the deal until it was fixed and we test drove it again. Never take the dealers word they will fix it after you purchase it! Have it done first, then retest drive.

I am sure more will come to give you greater advice, I had been there so I thought I would share my story. Good info here, saved me some money!
Old 19 Mar 2013, 02:38 am
Senior Cruiser

Default Re: Buying my first Cruiser!

Busa: With all the money you saved, couldn't you afford mags with straight spokes?
Old 19 Mar 2013, 05:56 pm
Young Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by pt06 View Post
Busa: With all the money you saved, couldn't you afford mags with straight spokes?

Way too funny! (but so right )
Old 20 Mar 2013, 03:24 am
Fresh Cruiser

Hi. I congratulate you for purchasing your first PT 06 Cruiser with 55 Thousand miles running. It is not so much used as just 55 thousand. I hope you are enjoying the new Cruiser. Wish you best of luck for this great vehicle.
Old 20 Mar 2013, 05:40 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ponting View Post
Hi. I congratulate you for purchasing your first PT 06 Cruiser with 55 Thousand miles running. It is not so much used as just 55 thousand. I hope you are enjoying the new Cruiser. Wish you best of luck for this great vehicle.
Begone SPAMMER!

(Don't click the signature link)

'05 Limited Turbo Lite, (Silver, of course)4-wheel ABS, Sunroof, Spoiler. Mods: E&G Classic grill, K&N FIPK, BTG duals, rear lowered 1.5", LED washer lights, $20 catch can, Aoogah horn, Weatherflectors, Sunroof Deflector, Fuzzy Dice, rear logo flames, rear pinstripe graphic, Gen3 Taillights, rear sway bar, hood struts, Strut bar.
Traded in '02 Silver Touring Edition w/87,000 miles
Old 20 Mar 2013, 05:44 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Is it a Chrysler dealer or a used car dealer? If it's a Chrysler dealer, ask to have the transmission flushed - if it's not a chrysler dealer, find a place with a flushing machine and have the auto trans fluid flushed, and be sure they only use ATF + 4. Ballpark cost is $200.
For best life, the auto trans should be flushed every 50,000 miles.

'05 Limited Turbo Lite, (Silver, of course)4-wheel ABS, Sunroof, Spoiler. Mods: E&G Classic grill, K&N FIPK, BTG duals, rear lowered 1.5", LED washer lights, $20 catch can, Aoogah horn, Weatherflectors, Sunroof Deflector, Fuzzy Dice, rear logo flames, rear pinstripe graphic, Gen3 Taillights, rear sway bar, hood struts, Strut bar.
Traded in '02 Silver Touring Edition w/87,000 miles
Old 21 Mar 2013, 03:04 am
Senior Cruiser

I am not a fan of a transmission flush. When there done you still have scum on the bottom of the tranny pan, metal on the magnet, and a dirty transmission filter.
Busted_PT likes this.
Old 21 Mar 2013, 08:48 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Quote:
I am not a fan of a transmission flush. When there done you still have scum on the bottom of the tranny pan, metal on the magnet, and a dirty transmission filter.
If they are not pulling the pan and replacing filter. It's like changing oil and leaving the filter. Belt change is a iffy thing. Normal change is 100k and I think 6 years. If it was an 01 or so I'd say yes because of age but in your case I wouldn't worry about it. Also most likely they will say no way. The other things spoke of here are good things to look at. Far as the rental thing. A lease car will show up as the same category. Lots of people lease these days. No different than someone who trade every couple years. Because a Carfax says its clean doesn't mean that it didn't happen. A good inspection is the best way.

03 Dream stock___________________________ 04 Touring turbo lite stock_________ 02 Touring stock_____________________ The "Three Amigos"
__________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ ___________Performance, Body and Service, OEM

This Is my project page.
http://www.ptcruiserlinks.com/forum/...oject-1-a.html

This is a great read from one of our own! Badglas
badglas.blogspot.com
Old 21 Mar 2013, 09:00 am
Banned

Quote:
I could but then I would look like everyone else's
Spoke wheels