Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > General PT Cruiser Discussions

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
Idle vibration, Let me see of I have this right

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 23 Mar 2013, 09:24 am
Young Cruiser

Default Idle vibration, Let me see of I have this right

I just picked up an 05 GT last night to replace the 02 5 speed I killed (still feel lousy about that). GT has 180K but it was a one owner car and the woman who owned it, brought it to the Chrysler dealer for everything. She even used all the little tear out pages in the maintenence book; stamped and signed. I had them put it on a lift and the underside looks like it never left the showroom.

Anyway, the only problem it has is a strong vibration at idle. Putting it in neutral or park lessens it but I can still feel it. So... from what I have read on here and drawing from my own personal experience it could be one of the following:

Mechanical: motor mount. Replace
Electrical: coil, wires, plugs. Replace
Fuel: injectors. Clean (In tank cleaner effective? Lucas?)
Air: vacuum leak, dirty tb. Search for leak, clean tb

I figure I will contact the dealer and see if any of these have been done recently to eliminate as a possibility.

Also, as an interesting note, when I test drove it, I was very dissapointed with the acceleration. I thought my n/a 02 5sp could keep up with it. It was just about on empty so they told me to go fill it up, on them. I filled it with premium and began wondering if they had filled it with regular. Sure enough, premium solved the performance problem. So, I was thinking maybe it had been sitting for a while at the place I bought it and maybe using reglar over a period of time had gummed things up. Possible? Anyway, I am going to try some Lucas and see if that helps. I don't have high hopes.

Any thoughts?

Last edited by Gru; 23 Mar 2013 at 09:27 am.
Old 23 Mar 2013, 10:14 am
Fanatic Cruiser

Default Re: Idle vibration, Let me see of I have this right

Check the simple stuff first...clean the throttle body, check for vacuum leaks, replace the pcv valve, check/replace the plugs. Fuel system cleaners in the tank are a waste of money. ...btw, the automatic is a slug compared to the 5 speed.
Old 23 Mar 2013, 10:33 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Actually the injector cleaners are a good thing if you have a fuel issue. Done it many times. I don't use it every tank. Some do. Can't hurt to rule out that part. If the mounts have been replaced then maybe not set to the proper adjustment. Or like someone on here, were they put a standard shift mount on a auto. Check for a leak in the turbo boost hoses. You will loose a lot of power that way. No comparison to a n/a 5 speed. If it is right. If you know what your doing. The auto stick is no slug by any means.

03 Dream stock___________________________ 04 Touring turbo lite stock_________ 02 Touring stock_____________________ The "Three Amigos"
__________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ ___________Performance, Body and Service, OEM

This Is my project page.
http://www.ptcruiserlinks.com/forum/...oject-1-a.html

This is a great read from one of our own! Badglas
badglas.blogspot.com
Old 23 Mar 2013, 12:41 pm
Young Cruiser

I have owned two early production 01 automatics from brand new, an 02 5sp (RIP), and now the 05 autostick. On the way home I was doing 70 and I mashed the accelerator down to pass a truck, and I believe the traction control actually kicked in for a second! I have never seen a slug do that.

Just to make sure I have all the vacuum lines covered, how many connections/zip ties am I looking for? Any photos or descriptions?
Old 23 Mar 2013, 12:48 pm
Fresh Cruiser

I am interested to see what you find out. El Diablo ( as my mechanic dubbed my car after the last visit) also has an idle vibration. Like yours only when in gear. I did not notice one before his last trip into the shop. But most likely that was because ED was missing a motor mount before
Old 23 Mar 2013, 01:06 pm
Young Cruiser

What/where is a torque strut?
Old 25 Mar 2013, 03:56 am
Senior Cruiser

Are you getting any codes? The gt's will run on regular gas, but when the knock sensor goes off, the computer pulls back the timing to save the engine from damage. This results in lower power. The turbo guys know more than I.