Advertisements
Coolant leak at transmission line

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By ZZTOPT

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 26 Mar 2013, 09:23 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Default Coolant leak at transmission line

I have a 2001 Limited with an antifreeze leak at the bottom driver's side of the radiator. As weird as this seems, the leak is coming from behind the transmission oil coolant line fitting closest to the radiator drain valve. If I pull out on the transmission line hose, antifreeze leaks from behind what seems to be a pressed fitting in the plastic section below the bottom seam of the radiator. The fitting has some play to it (when grasping the hose, it can be moved backwards and forwards about an 1/8"). It doesn't leak ATF, only antifreeze.

I've already replaced the radiator once a while back because of an unrelated issue, so I'm trying to avoid replacing it again if at all possible. Has anyone experienced this problem?
Old 26 Mar 2013, 10:09 pm
Cool Cruiser

Default Re: Coolant leak at transmission line

Sounds like your trans is leaking, time to replace (or fix) another one, unfortunately.

The transmission oil cooler is a separate entity , it is basically submerged in antifreeze, and it sounds like the lower tank has sprung a leak around the trans cooler line.

Maybe a radiator shop can fix it in someway at a lower cost, to avoid having to purchase a new one, especially when the rest of the rad is still like new. But being they are plastic and a bit more unforgiving than the radiators of the past, the repair idea is a slim one.
Red tint tails, chrome trimmed grille, custom towel rack buttonless flamed shifter, auto dimming rear view, Homelink remote transmitter, driver seat drawer, MOPAR sub, lowered 1" rear, MOPAR/Borla dual tipped exhaust, chrome trimmed GT gauge/airbag surround, front 35% tint, and the ever so important Fuzzy Dice
Old 27 Mar 2013, 07:48 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Motorhead View Post
Sounds like your trans is leaking, time to replace (or fix) another one, unfortunately.

The transmission oil cooler is a separate entity , it is basically submerged in antifreeze, and it sounds like the lower tank has sprung a leak around the trans cooler line.

Maybe a radiator shop can fix it in someway at a lower cost, to avoid having to purchase a new one, especially when the rest of the rad is still like new. But being they are plastic and a bit more unforgiving than the radiators of the past, the repair idea is a slim one.
What you have is a coolant leak around the fitting of the trans cooler. The OEM has a wide flat nut that you tighten just like a bolt. If it's hex shaped, try tightening it.

03 Dream stock___________________________ 04 Touring turbo lite stock_________ 02 Touring stock_____________________ The "Three Amigos"
__________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ ___________Performance, Body and Service, OEM

This Is my project page.
http://www.ptcruiserlinks.com/forum/...oject-1-a.html

This is a great read from one of our own! Badglas
badglas.blogspot.com
Old 27 Mar 2013, 07:18 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Thanks for both replies. I figure I'm going to have to remove it regardless of repair or replacement, so I'll remove it tonight and see what I've got. I'll let you know what I find out.
Old 29 Mar 2013, 10:16 pm
Fresh Cruiser

After removing the radiator last night, I found both halves of the thin hex nut Busted PT referred to in the reply. The nut was apparently defective and had split in half! I found it laying in the stamped metal pan that the radiator sits in. Now I'm on a "hunt" to find a replacement nut. Thanks again for your help.
Busted_PT likes this.
Old 30 Mar 2013, 02:24 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Exclamation Re: Coolant leak at transmission line

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZZTOPT View Post
After removing the radiator last night, I found both halves of the thin hex nut Busted PT referred to in the reply. The nut was apparently defective and had split in half! I found it laying in the stamped metal pan that the radiator sits in. Now I'm on a "hunt" to find a replacement nut. Thanks again for your help.
Good to see your on the mend. Try the fasteners stores. The may be able to help. Keep us posted. And your welcome on the help.

03 Dream stock___________________________ 04 Touring turbo lite stock_________ 02 Touring stock_____________________ The "Three Amigos"
__________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ ___________Performance, Body and Service, OEM

This Is my project page.
http://www.ptcruiserlinks.com/forum/...oject-1-a.html

This is a great read from one of our own! Badglas
badglas.blogspot.com