PT Cruiser Forum  
Advertisements

Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > General PT Cruiser Discussions

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
Don't like the GT. Am I insane, or what?!

Like Tree8Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 29 Mar 2013, 07:12 pm
Young Cruiser

Default Don't like the GT. Am I insane, or what?!

I bought one of the very first PT's. I loved it.

When the GT came out, I thought, "Wow, I'm gonna' get one some day."
I eventually sold my 01 PT. Other cars came and went (06 300SRT was my favorite). In October 2012, I needed a car and found an 02 5 speed PT at a local lot. It had been customized, but not overdone. It was the best looking PT I had ever seen. The dealer let me go on a two hour test drive and I fell in love. It was lowered with Eilbach springs, had ground effects and some custom wheels. It also had a glass-pack "dual" exhaust which sounded (is that a word?) great. I even had other gearheads compliment me on the way it sounded. Running it through the grears always made me smile (even if I wasn't going very fast). And, I was getting upper 20's and even a 30 here and there for mileage. Life was good.

Then I lost control on a deserted two lane road and totaled it! I still hate myself. The insurance company paid me out and I found a very well maintained GT. I couldn't wait to drive it.

I have now spent a week with it and I have come to the conclusion that I don't like it. I do a lot of driving for my job so I always try to be as fuel efficient as possible. That is really boring when driving an automatic. The only way to have any fun is to drive faster, but then I am wasting gas. The GT doesn't handle nearly as well as my old lowered 02. They were supposed to handle well. And, they probably do compared to regular PT's but it felt like my 02 5 speed could have beat this 05 GT around any track. The dragstrip would certainly favor the GT. But, other than that, I don't see an advantage.

I view the PT as an economical, roomy, versitile, stylish car. When I start having hopes of it being fast and powerful, I am dissapointed. But in my daily driving I am usually putting along with the cruise control at 60. I will occationally visit tripple digits just to see how they are doing, but my finances keep those visits to a minimum. I am beginning to think the GT is the PT trying to be something it's not; a sports car. I have never owned a turbocharged car before. Maybe that is the problem?

I suppose a 5 speed lowered GT might solve my problems but just finding a GT was hard enough. So, I am thinking I should look for a regular 5 speed and be happy.

Or... Am I completely insane and I should just get used to the GT?

"I'm going to go stick my head in the microwave, HOT POCKETS!"

Last edited by Gru; 29 Mar 2013 at 07:20 pm.
Old 29 Mar 2013, 07:28 pm
Banned

Lightbulb Re: Don't like the GT. Am I insane, or what?!

Interesting story

Question, since are a fuel efficient guy, how do you lose control on a deserted road. Was it weather related?

I have a 5 speed gt that is lowered but lowering it only makes it dangerous and the handling unpredictable. It gives me a false sense of better handling but its in my head.
Busted_PT likes this.
Old 29 Mar 2013, 08:09 pm
Fanatic Cruiser

Default Re: Don't like the GT. Am I insane, or what?!

Resurrect that ol' "lowered" 5spd and I'll show you what a "healthy" Turbo GT H.O can do..Cocky?.. hell yeah!

Old 29 Mar 2013, 08:16 pm
Young Cruiser

I was actually wondering about seeming to handle better thing. I have never owned a lowered car either. Please enlighten me.

As far as losing control... I can only take so much slow before I need to do something about it. I was just coasting around a turn I have taken many times before (at a "slightly elevated" speed). The back end came out and that was it. It had a rear swaybar with rubber bushings while the front was urethane. I have heard that if you get the back too stiff it can try to trade places with the front. This looked like the stock set up in the back. But, that's exactly what happened.
Old 29 Mar 2013, 08:30 pm
Senior Cruiser

Find a rear swaybar from a junkyard and install it on yours. Made a huge difference on my 09. Your 2002 had one but Chrysler dropped it in 2003.
Old 29 Mar 2013, 08:45 pm
Banned

That's the fallacy with lowering them, people overcompensate situations they normally wouldn't take thinking lowering means better handling, which could mean you could go faster around corners etc

I did mine for the look, I don't drive aggressively at all, and drive about 1500 miles a year.
Old 29 Mar 2013, 09:02 pm
Senior Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gru View Post
I bought one of the very first PT's. I loved it.

When the GT came out, I thought, "Wow, I'm gonna' get one some day."
I eventually sold my 01 PT. Other cars came and went (06 300SRT was my favorite). In October 2012, I needed a car and found an 02 5 speed PT at a local lot. It had been customized, but not overdone. It was the best looking PT I had ever seen. The dealer let me go on a two hour test drive and I fell in love. It was lowered with Eilbach springs, had ground effects and some custom wheels. It also had a glass-pack "dual" exhaust which sounded (is that a word?) great. I even had other gearheads compliment me on the way it sounded. Running it through the grears always made me smile (even if I wasn't going very fast). And, I was getting upper 20's and even a 30 here and there for mileage. Life was good.

Then I lost control on a deserted two lane road and totaled it! I still hate myself. The insurance company paid me out and I found a very well maintained GT. I couldn't wait to drive it.

I have now spent a week with it and I have come to the conclusion that I don't like it. I do a lot of driving for my job so I always try to be as fuel efficient as possible. That is really boring when driving an automatic. The only way to have any fun is to drive faster, but then I am wasting gas. The GT doesn't handle nearly as well as my old lowered 02. They were supposed to handle well. And, they probably do compared to regular PT's but it felt like my 02 5 speed could have beat this 05 GT around any track. The dragstrip would certainly favor the GT. But, other than that, I don't see an advantage.

I view the PT as an economical, roomy, versitile, stylish car. When I start having hopes of it being fast and powerful, I am dissapointed. But in my daily driving I am usually putting along with the cruise control at 60. I will occationally visit tripple digits just to see how they are doing, but my finances keep those visits to a minimum. I am beginning to think the GT is the PT trying to be something it's not; a sports car. I have never owned a turbocharged car before. Maybe that is the problem?

I suppose a 5 speed lowered GT might solve my problems but just finding a GT was hard enough. So, I am thinking I should look for a regular 5 speed and be happy.

Or... Am I completely insane and I should just get used to the GT?

"I'm going to go stick my head in the microwave, HOT POCKETS!"
... That was ugly dude ...
'03 GT Blue/ autostick.. 160,000KM ( That's 100,000miles for y'all South of the border ) All the options, the heated leather is a must up here in Canada, Love the solid heavy duty feel and obvious Torque.. The Turbo is strong, fast and reliable.. People that don't understand the love of a PT, probably don't deserve to.
Old 29 Mar 2013, 10:56 pm
Young Cruiser

Hmm. I thought lowering, lowered your center of gravity, and a lower center of gravity means better handling. No?

If I understand correctly, lowering gives you "beer goggles" when it comes to turns?
Old 29 Mar 2013, 11:01 pm
Young Cruiser

Junkie, I'd love to take that challenge.
Do you have the autostick? Maybe I'm not using it to its full potential.
Old 30 Mar 2013, 02:15 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Busa_Powered View Post
Interesting story

Question, since are a fuel efficient guy, how do you lose control on a deserted road. Was it weather related?

I have a 5 speed gt that is lowered but lowering it only makes it dangerous and the handling unpredictable. It gives me a false sense of better handling but its in my head.
Actually that is exactly correct in many cases. Very well put. The harsh feeling suspension will give you the since of speed even if you aren't actually going any faster. Need a stop watch to really know. Butt dyno can lie to ya.
Also if your losing boost pressure , your GT might be sluggish.

03 Dream stock___________________________ 04 Touring turbo lite stock_________ 02 Touring stock_____________________ The "Three Amigos"
__________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ ___________Performance, Body and Service, OEM

This Is my project page.
http://www.ptcruiserlinks.com/forum/...oject-1-a.html

This is a great read from one of our own! Badglas
badglas.blogspot.com

Last edited by Busted_PT; 30 Mar 2013 at 02:18 am.