PT Cruiser Forum  
Advertisements

Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > General PT Cruiser Discussions

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
Bought low mileage pt...may have sat...do I need to replace belts...hoses?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04 Apr 2013, 11:17 am
Cool Cruiser

Default Bought low mileage pt...may have sat...do I need to replace belts...hoses?

I recently bought a 2004 pt cruiser with 57,000 miles. It was a salvage title and the dealer who I bought it from drove it for a few months before I bought it. My question....with this low of mileage I figure it sat for a while and I am thinking...do I need to change the timing belt, other belts and hoses? Do timing belts deteriorate when they just sit? I guess there is no way know if it really sat a long time.
2007 PT Cruiser GT 5-speed 17x8 Konig Inception wheels K&N style intake auto throttle body Spec D tail lights Blow off plate 10.2mm plug wires Cat-Back "DNA Motoring" exhaust w/ Thrush glasspack "blacked out" DIY ground effects added boost gauge (in place of analog clock)
Old 04 Apr 2013, 12:03 pm
Banned

Lightbulb Re: Bought low mileage pt...may have sat...do I need to replace belts...hoses?

I just rolled 26k miles on my 7 year old pt.

I would use the condition of your serpentine belt as a gauge of your timing belt.

Quote:
Originally Posted by shelbyzman View Post
I recently bought a 2004 pt cruiser with 57,000 miles. It was a salvage title and the dealer who I bought it from drove it for a few months before I bought it. My question....with this low of mileage I figure it sat for a while and I am thinking...do I need to change the timing belt, other belts and hoses? Do timing belts deteriorate when they just sit? I guess there is no way know if it really sat a long time.
Old 04 Apr 2013, 12:09 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Default Re: Bought low mileage pt...may have sat...do I need to replace belts...hoses?

they all age and yes there is a year number i just dont knwo what it is
Old 04 Apr 2013, 01:18 pm
Cool Cruiser

Default Re: Bought low mileage pt...may have sat...do I need to replace belts...hoses?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Busa_Powered View Post
I just rolled 26k miles on my 7 year old pt.

I would use the condition of your serpentine belt as a gauge of your timing belt.
Good idea...I think I'm good to go for another 20,000 or 30,000 miles
2007 PT Cruiser GT 5-speed 17x8 Konig Inception wheels K&N style intake auto throttle body Spec D tail lights Blow off plate 10.2mm plug wires Cat-Back "DNA Motoring" exhaust w/ Thrush glasspack "blacked out" DIY ground effects added boost gauge (in place of analog clock)
Old 05 Apr 2013, 03:16 pm
Fresh Cruiser

My 03' only has about 10k more and from what i've been told the belt is fine. Even if it was brand new the belt would worry me. I'm a timing Chain person.
Old 05 Apr 2013, 03:30 pm
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beachbaby902 View Post
My 03' only has about 10k more and from what i've been told the belt is fine. Even if it was brand new the belt would worry me. I'm a timing Chain person.
Yeah, I would prefer a timing chain too