PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
Lots of Repairs Needed at 97500 Miles

Like Tree1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04 Apr 2013, 07:54 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Default Lots of Repairs Needed at 97500 Miles

My 2005 PT Cruiser ConvertibleTurbo with just over 97500 miles has been relatively problem free...until now. When it rains is pours.

I had to get new cam shaft and tie rods last October.

I knew I needed brakes which I got today, but on top of that I need to replace the timing belt and the ancillary parts ( tensioner, pulley and water pump) .The dealers quote on that is $1650. And I need to: Replace front lower control arms, sway bar links, and lower motor mount $1150.00 Replace upper motor mount $240.00.

I'm told it make sense to do all of this at the same time since the lower control arm would need to be removed to do the timing belt.

My sister has a mechanic she and her husband have used for 25 years and was VERY reasonable on the cam shaft sensor and ties rods

Are the current repairs needed ones that folks here would be comfortable having a small neighborhood repair shop do. I know that at least on the timing belt most of the costs are in the labor so I suspect I can save alot.

Any advise is appreciated!
Old 04 Apr 2013, 08:55 pm
Veteran Cruiser

Default Re: Lots of Repairs Needed at 97500 Miles

Are you comfortable having the dealer do it?
They are just as likely to screw you as the local, small time guy is to mess up.

I would insist on a brand new Chrysler water pump, eventhough he'll tell it's not necessary
Old 04 Apr 2013, 09:09 pm
Fanatic Cruiser

Camshaft replaced? Why wasn't the timing belt changed?

Original Owner 135k
2005 Turbo Touring Convertible Auto w/ Stage 1, DSP inTune w/ Diablo Tune, Composite Intake, Air Box Modification, Hard Pipes, K&N, KYB's, Vision Motorworks Wires, Continental Extreme Contact DWS, Rear Sway Bar, Strut Tower Bar, UltraGauge.
Old 04 Apr 2013, 09:14 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by compdr59 View Post
Camshaft replaced? Why wasn't the timing belt changed?
I believe it was the cam shaft sensor. Does that make sense? It was an after-market part. Cost me $150 vs $450 from dealer
Old 05 Apr 2013, 12:50 am
Veteran Cruiser

later, if keep reading, he says cam sesnsor
Old 05 Apr 2013, 07:13 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbelleville View Post
I believe it was the cam shaft sensor. Does that make sense? It was an after-market part. Cost me $150 vs $450 from dealer
Hate to tell you, but even $150 is high for a cam sensor - it's very easy to replace.

'05 Limited Turbo Lite, (Silver, of course)4-wheel ABS, Sunroof, Spoiler. Mods: E&G Classic grill, K&N FIPK, BTG duals, rear lowered 1.5", LED washer lights, $20 catch can, Aoogah horn, Weatherflectors, Sunroof Deflector, Fuzzy Dice, rear logo flames, rear pinstripe graphic, Gen3 Taillights, rear sway bar, hood struts, Strut bar.
Traded in '02 Silver Touring Edition w/87,000 miles
Old 05 Apr 2013, 07:21 am
Obsessed Cruiser

...and if it IS the cam shaft sensor, and the dealer wanted $450 for a new one and labor to replace it, my suggestion is to stay as far away from the dealer as possible. The quote of $1650 for the timing belt, water pump and ancillary parts is almost $500 above and maybe more what should be charged.

My only guess is that the dealer you speaking of has an hourly rate of about $200 an hour or more.

I've also deleted your other post which asked the exact same question in another part of the forum.

- All decisions by the Moderator are semi-permanent, can and may be changed at his discretion but definitely will be the final word. Any action performed by the Administrator or Moderators are not to be discussed on the forum.

Last edited by CREWZIN; 05 Apr 2013 at 07:28 am.
Old 05 Apr 2013, 09:34 am
Veteran Cruiser

Quote:

I need to replace the timing belt and the ancillary parts ( tensioner, pulley and water pump) .The dealers quote on that is $1650. And I need to: Replace front lower control arms, sway bar links, and lower motor mount $1150.00 Replace upper motor mount $240.00.

if you were to buy the motor mounts yourself, total cost under $70. they both need to come off to do the timing belt.

if i were you i would go buy the upper and lower mounts from a parts store. if you already have the upper and lower mounts in your hand and you ask your sisters mechanic to put them on when he does the timing belt, he will most likely do it for free, as both mounts need to come off the car to do the timing belt anyways.

i'd stay far away from that dealer. the way they grouped those repairs it seems like they are either stupid or they think you're stupid. i mean why would they fix the belt take, the old mounts off, put them back on, and then have you come back a second time to change them? their estimates are also very high.

hell i'll come change those mounts over a beer for free if you live near me. it's really pretty effortless and takes well under an hour. you should add your location to your profile
UptownSport likes this.

Last edited by rob342; 05 Apr 2013 at 11:07 am. Reason: i'm a editaholic
Old 05 Apr 2013, 02:40 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by rob342 View Post
i'd stay far away from that dealer. the way they grouped those repairs it seems like they are either stupid or they think you're stupid. i mean why would they fix the belt take, the old mounts off, put them back on, and then have you come back a second time to change them? their estimates are also very high.
The dealer identified the need for the control arms and mounts and gave me the quote. I told them that I needed the night to think about it. It was my dad who brought up the timing belt given the mileage so when I called the dealer back next day I asked about it. They said that if it had never been changed it definitely should and indicated that it would make the most sense to do mounts, control arms and timing belt all at once. So I don't think they were pulling a fast one since they did recommend doing at same time and that I would save in the labor costs. But I do think their labor costs are probably at the high end of the range. Thus the decision to not have them do it and shop around.

I know "expensive" is a relative term. So much depends on location. Using repairpal.com, they give a range on the timing belt, water pump ect of $1107-$1630 in Boston (where I am). In Waco TX the same repair has a range of $976-$1451. In Pheonix City AL the range is $878-$1338

Last edited by mbelleville; 05 Apr 2013 at 02:56 pm.
Old 08 Apr 2013, 11:33 pm
Senior Cruiser

Quote:

I knew I needed brakes which I got today, but on top of that I need to replace the timing belt and the ancillary parts ( tensioner, pulley and water pump) .The dealers quote on that is $1650. And I need to: Replace front lower control arms, sway bar links, and lower motor mount $1150.00 Replace upper motor mount $240.00.

I just got a quote from a local dealer in NY, for 1k for the timing belt, water pump and tensioner. So if I was you I would look into another dealer or a local guy with some PT experience. Good luck

"the people should not fear their government, the government should fear the people"- Thomas Jefferson