Advertisements
Automatic Windows

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By 2step

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09 Apr 2013, 05:02 am
Fresh Cruiser

Default Automatic Windows

Silly question. Why doesn't the car also come with manual window cranks? I can only open or close my windows when the engine is running. You can't operate the windows in ACC. I guess I understand the ACC thing, but still it's an inconvenience. I'm thinking about hot weather when I want to open the windows while the car isn't running. I suppose most cars are like that now, but manual cranks would be nice also.
Old 09 Apr 2013, 05:12 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Default Re: Automatic Windows

You don't have to start the engine, just turn key to "ON".

One of the plusses of the PT was it's list of standard features - for the first few years of the PT, Air Conditioning was also standard.

'05 Limited Turbo Lite, (Silver, of course)4-wheel ABS, Sunroof, Spoiler. Mods: E&G Classic grill, K&N FIPK, BTG duals, rear lowered 1.5", LED washer lights, $20 catch can, Aoogah horn, Weatherflectors, Sunroof Deflector, Fuzzy Dice, rear logo flames, rear pinstripe graphic, Gen3 Taillights, rear sway bar, hood struts, Strut bar.
Traded in '02 Silver Touring Edition w/87,000 miles
Old 09 Apr 2013, 05:13 am
Fresh Cruiser

I have never seen automatic windows come with manual cranks to lower them, its either one or the other..

If I had to guess why they don't come like that would be because of how the the gearing/mechanisms for the rolling up/down the windows works.

Personally I am glad they don't have manual cranks in my PT... I can imagine what the manual crank would do when I roll the window down on my drivers side front window.

But you should not need the car to be running when you want to roll the windows down. Mine work when I put the key into the "run" position.
Old 09 Apr 2013, 08:35 am
Veteran Cruiser

I modified the fuse box in my car so that the power windows can be opened/ closed when the car is off; the key is out of the ignition. See my post below.
Warning, this easily reversible modification does bring safety/ liability issues (as noted in the post).
Power Window Modification

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aquamarine View Post
Silly question. Why doesn't the car also come with manual window cranks? I can only open or close my windows when the engine is running. You can't operate the windows in ACC. I guess I understand the ACC thing, but still it's an inconvenience. I'm thinking about hot weather when I want to open the windows while the car isn't running. I suppose most cars are like that now, but manual cranks would be nice also.
Old 09 Apr 2013, 10:00 am
Senior Cruiser

It's because it's a CHRYSLER so it's loaded and all tarted up. If you want manual cranks, buy a Neon.
rob342 likes this.
Old 09 Apr 2013, 03:34 pm
Veteran Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2step View Post
It's because it's a CHRYSLER so it's loaded and all tarted up. If you want manual cranks, buy a Neon.
my friend had a neon with both. straight from the factory it had power windows in the front, crank windows in the back. it was very odd.
Old 09 Apr 2013, 06:40 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by rob342 View Post
my friend had a neon with both. straight from the factory it had power windows in the front, crank windows in the back. it was very odd.
That is the oddest thing in the world. I've seen it before it and has confused me to this day why they would do that.
Old 10 Apr 2013, 05:02 am
Fresh Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2step View Post
My last car was a Neon.

As far as the "On" position, I never thought of trying it.