Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > General PT Cruiser Discussions

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
ignition switch wont turn to start postion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11 Apr 2013, 07:20 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Default ignition switch wont turn to start postion

I have a 2001 pt cruiser automatic transmission. the car will not start. the starter is new all the relays are good and i replaced the ignition key cylinder. i brought it to my mechanic and he said that i need to replace the steering column. i been looking for a used steering column but no luck finding one. and the dealership wants to charge $1200 for a new one. my mechanic said that the key wont go to the start postion. does anyone know what part inside the steering column would be causing the problem? Also i found a steering column for a 2002 pt cruiser the junk yard said that it was a little bit different. i was thinking i could take the part out of the 2002 steering column and replace it in my 2001 pt cruiser. unfortunaly i have no idea what mechanical part is broken. has anyone had this problem if so please help. thanks guys
Old 11 Apr 2013, 07:36 pm
Veteran Cruiser

Default Re: ignition switch wont turn to start postion

It's called The ignition actuator, it's made by dorman and costs appx $34. Look on rockauto.com or the autozone website
Old 11 Apr 2013, 07:38 pm
Veteran Cruiser

Default Re: ignition switch wont turn to start postion

You need this Ignition Switch Actuator Pin Assembly

https://www.google.com/search?q=dorm...h+actuator+pin

Last edited by rob342; 11 Apr 2013 at 07:42 pm.
Old 12 Apr 2013, 08:57 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Thumbs up Re: ignition switch wont turn to start postion

Quote:
Originally Posted by rob342 View Post
It's called The ignition actuator, it's made by dorman and costs appx $34. Look on rockauto.com or the autozone website
Thank you so much for your quick response. I bought the switch activator but haven't had a chance to install it. I did take out the one and it is broken. You saved me a lot of time and money. Great to know their are people Out their willing to take the time and help out other People. Your the man and I can't thank you enough.
Ryan

Last edited by ryan350; 12 Apr 2013 at 09:01 pm. Reason: Spell check