PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
Military man needing help

Like Tree8Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 13 Apr 2013, 06:03 am
Fresh Cruiser

Default Military man needing help

So here is what happened. I accidentally stalled out my car. When I restarted it the car began to almost red line. When I shift it into any gear it consistantly revs at 3-5 rpm and keeps reving at those points like it is on a bump between them. Also the brake now feels like I need to apply 3 times the pressure on it to get it to work. Really have no idea what is going on and would appreciate any feedback. Thanks all.

v/r
SSG Ryan Smith
Old 13 Apr 2013, 06:41 am
Fanatic Cruiser

Default Re: Military man needing help

Vacuum leak perhaps...check all the vacuum hoses.
Old 13 Apr 2013, 06:43 am
Senior Cruiser

Check the vacuum line going to the brake booster. Seen several people on here report it coming off and causing the same issues. And thank you for your service. I truly appreciate all that you do for this country.
JWHF25 likes this.
Old 13 Apr 2013, 07:27 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Vacuum line to the brake booster. Happened to mine just a couple months ago.

- All decisions by the Moderator are semi-permanent, can and may be changed at his discretion but definitely will be the final word. Any action performed by the Administrator or Moderators are not to be discussed on the forum.
Old 13 Apr 2013, 08:13 am
Fresh Cruiser

Seems to be the general concensus that it is the vacuum line to the booster. Will give that a shot in a couple of hours once I leave work. Will let you all know how it turns out and thanks for the replys
Old 13 Apr 2013, 11:25 am
Fresh Cruiser

seems that the vacuum hose was not the problem. car still over revs as soon as i turn it over. any other suggestions?

Here are my trouble codes. See if any could have played a part in it:
P0551-my first thought is that it is this one.
P0068
P0456
P0440
P0113
P0068
P0456
P0440
P0113

Last edited by sonofkri; 13 Apr 2013 at 11:33 am.
Old 13 Apr 2013, 11:50 am
Veteran Cruiser

take the intake tube off and verify the throttle body is closing all the way. this may cause your P0068

take the large vacuum line off the brake booster and stick your thumb over the line.

if it is revving 3-5k you either have the throttle body stuck partially open or one hell of a vacuum leak.

on the plus side, a leak that big can't be that hard to find. a small disconnected vacuum line will not make it rev that high, the IAC cannot make it rev that high. it has to be the throttle body stuck open or a large vacuum line disconnected/damaged.

Last edited by rob342; 13 Apr 2013 at 11:57 am.
Old 13 Apr 2013, 11:58 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Are you sure you traced the vacuum lines all the way as far as you can? With high revs and the brake pedal extremely hard, that's almost certainly the vacuum line to the brake booster. it goes down to a "T" junction and if it's still intact there, go further down the line. Also check for cracks in any of the lines and good connections.

All the codes that you pulled just means you haven't cleared the computer for a long time and they are most likely all old codes. Take the negative battery cable off for about 5 minutes. That will clear the computer and do a reset.

- All decisions by the Moderator are semi-permanent, can and may be changed at his discretion but definitely will be the final word. Any action performed by the Administrator or Moderators are not to be discussed on the forum.
Old 13 Apr 2013, 12:01 pm
Senior Cruiser

I second what Rob just wrote! My car did the same and it was a piece of plastic stuck on the gas cable so it was keeping the TB open!
Old 13 Apr 2013, 12:02 pm
Fresh Cruiser

unplugged the hose coming from the brake booster to the intake manifold and put my finger over the hole in the intake manifold and turned it over. it continued to rev at 6k as soon as i turned the car over. where else could the vacuum leak be?