Navigation for us?

Like Tree2Likes
  • 2 Post By Chromenut

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 20 Apr 2013, 06:07 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Default Navigation for us?

Good evening all,

I am wandering if there is a navigation unit for the 06 and newer PT Cruisers. I have looked extensively on the web (including Ebay), and have only found one radio that looks to fit into the radio area without any bezel mod but it seems to have no model number so I could look it up. Would anyone know if there is a chart or comparison for radios for this car? Below is a YouTube video showing the radio in question.

-Dave

Link:
Old 22 Apr 2013, 05:02 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Default Re: Navigation for us?

I guess this is a radio that is not official.
Old 22 Apr 2013, 06:13 pm
Senior Cruiser

did that phone come from 1995?
Old 22 Apr 2013, 06:43 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Great googly moogly, I'd never spend the time nor the money for a radio with nav system. They just don't work as well as the GPS units I have. Love my GPS, all 5 of them! Rather have a head unit that just runs the sounds, interconnects with my ipod, plays a cd once in a blue moon, but works wonders.
Motorhead and woahgt like this.
Old 22 Apr 2013, 11:04 pm
Senior Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chromenut View Post
Great googly moogly, I'd never spend the time nor the money for a radio with nav system. They just don't work as well as the GPS units I have. Love my GPS, all 5 of them! Rather have a head unit that just runs the sounds, interconnects with my ipod, plays a cd once in a blue moon, but works wonders.
Ditto. I have a GPS. Its a Peak Performance. THATS RIGHT! same guys that make antifreeze.

Paid $28 for it at cabelas and is AWESOME :-D haha
Old 23 Apr 2013, 08:56 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

I dig mine - 4.7" wide screen, bluetooth connection to my cell phone and voice activated so I don't have to dial and don't have to take my eyes off the road. When the phone rings it displays the caller ID too. Along with that, it has the fancy power cable with the built-in FM antenna so that I get local traffic info, which is darned helpful when driving to and from work because it tells me about any delays. Add to it, I don't know the limit for Favorites and Points of Interest as I have over 350 in it and it's not run out of room yet!

That's just some of the quality of an excellent GPS unit that you will NOT have in your car stereo! Add to it, I have 6, yes that's right six, GPS units. Two Garmin's, two Mio's and two TomTom's. All six are fabulous units, all having various differences for different usages, all of which would not work in a car stereo - for instance, one Mio is for my boat. Why? Because it allows me to record boat rides, so that, for instance, I can go to Vinny's on my boat and record my trip there, then come back at night, after dark, after midnight even, and all I have to do is follow the glowing blue line on the GPS all the way back to my dock, never hitting any of the stumps, shoals, islands or anything else. Oh, then one of my fancy-schmancy Garmins is set up for off-road adventures - meaning I can route my way across the mountains into Tennessee following logging roads, and use it for hand-held Geo-caching, which obviously you can't do with a car stereo. Oh, then there's the fancy-schmancy totally hacked and modified Mio that I can take with me oversea's so that I can load up maps of say, Italy, or Germany, or wherever, and use it to travel there, plus I've added in a fancy mp4 player so I can watch movies on my flight over there on the nice big screen - oh yes, you can't do that with your car stereo either!

Finally - my wife had a Chrysler Aspen Hemi with fancy stereo with built-in GPS, along with all the other built-in carp. I set three GPS units on the dashboard and we drove to her mother's farm in southern Indiana. OMG that one in the stereo was telling her to take wrong roads! It also wouldn't give specific locations, as in 'which side of the road our destination' was on. When we got to her mother's farm the stupid thing was telling her she had to go another quarter mile down the road!

So all that just being a few 'off the top of my head' items, anyone going to pay extra for a head unit with built-in GPS connections is wasting both time and money!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Oh yes, also, you have to look away from the road to see your stereo/gps, and that's a possible cause for an accident, while the windshield or dash-mounted units don't cause those issues!!!!!