Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > General PT Cruiser Discussions

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
Bought 04 PT Cruiser limited w/turbo and high miles, lots of negative comments

Like Tree17Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 20 Apr 2013, 10:56 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Default Bought 04 PT Cruiser limited w/turbo and high miles, lots of negative comments

So, I have always wanted a PT Cruiser. I currently have a Chrysler SUV as our family car but we needed a commuter type car as well. Bought it a few weeks ago with about 175,000 miles. The car was very well taken care of, one owner, serviced regularly, garaged and it shows that it was very much cared for.
I was so excited about my new toy, but have gotten many negative comments like... "PT cruisers are known for alot of problems", "I should expect it to not last much longer with that many miles especially on a turbo one". Did I make a bad decision buying one with such high miles? I would hate to think that the car only has another 2 years or something. I love this little car. Not sure whats up with the MPG. Its supposedly supposed to be 19 city/ 26 highway. So far I have been doing all town driving so maybe that's why it doesn't seem all that great.

Last edited by califolkscruzin; 22 Apr 2013 at 06:42 pm.
Old 20 Apr 2013, 11:10 pm
Regular Cruiser

Default Re: Bought 04 PT Cruiser limited w/turbo and high miles, lots of negative comments

My 05 gt recommends premium, but it runs fine on either. I think yours has same recommendation. You can check manual or look under gas filler door. I mostly get @ 22mpg, if i drive no faster than 70 I get 24mpg. With that poor mpg I'd be checking tune up items. I think that with care these vehicles will easily run over 200k good luck with yours.
1998 Dolphin 36' motor home
1949 Piper Clipper taildragger
Old 20 Apr 2013, 11:51 pm
Banned

Default Re: Bought 04 PT Cruiser limited w/turbo and high miles, lots of negative comments

It does have high miles, I am going to assume the timing
Belt was changed at 100k, you are due for another one in 25k, figure about $1000.

Do some reading on here and you will find out the issues we deal with. All cars have problem areas though .

I have 26k on my gt. I bought it 1.5 years ago with 18k.

And yes grow some thick skin cause you won't get Many positive comments.

Good luck and post some pics
Old 21 Apr 2013, 10:57 am
Young Cruiser

I have gotten alot of negative comments like this from the guy up at the local Autozone. But, I have over 206k on mine now, and it's generally been a great little car. So, I ignore it. Mine is not a turbo though, so I don't know about that.

2002 Limited Edition, 5 speed
Old 21 Apr 2013, 12:42 pm
Fanatic Cruiser

Against my better judgement I'm gonna reply to this "first post" thread, reason being; too many never come back with any kind of response at all.

With that said, and without seeing a picture of the OPs car, is hard to say what it is you're driving and why you're getting negative feedback. There are PT Cruisers and then there are PT Cruisers that look like ass. Like every other car out there.

I think it would be hard to get bad "negative comments" if you car looks like these...

My .02 cents
Dino and Vlefaive like this.

Old 21 Apr 2013, 01:17 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Actually it is the mention of a PT that can get some to bash it PTJunckie. Just one of many different autos that some are determined to hate. So don't sweet it. They can drive what looks like everyone else's. So no one will spi them at the no tell!
3rcruiser likes this.

03 Dream stock___________________________ 04 Touring turbo lite stock_________ 02 Touring stock_____________________ The "Three Amigos"
__________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ ___________Performance, Body and Service, OEM

This Is my project page.
http://www.ptcruiserlinks.com/forum/...oject-1-a.html

This is a great read from one of our own! Badglas
badglas.blogspot.com
Old 21 Apr 2013, 01:18 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Hi everyone! I attached a pic of the 04 Limited/ w/turbo, high mile cruiser I bought. The negative comments are based mostly on the high milage and that I shouldn't expect to keep her for that much longer

Last edited by califolkscruzin; 21 Apr 2013 at 01:42 pm.
Old 21 Apr 2013, 01:38 pm
Regular Cruiser

Looks like it has been well taken of. Very clean. If you end up liking it, you could do a few things to distinguish it or... Just drive it till you find something you better
1998 Dolphin 36' motor home
1949 Piper Clipper taildragger
Old 21 Apr 2013, 02:16 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Very nice looking. Keep up with the needs and drive it respectfully. It might treat you well.

03 Dream stock___________________________ 04 Touring turbo lite stock_________ 02 Touring stock_____________________ The "Three Amigos"
__________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ ___________Performance, Body and Service, OEM

This Is my project page.
http://www.ptcruiserlinks.com/forum/...oject-1-a.html

This is a great read from one of our own! Badglas
badglas.blogspot.com
Old 21 Apr 2013, 04:26 pm
Senior Cruiser

Here is my advice, changing all the fluids and run synthetics puts things in your favor.

At 175K miles you start thinking about things that should be replaced if they havent.

Flush the Power steering fluid, flush the brake fluid, change the trans fluid and filter with ATF+ and mopar filter.

Might want to change the upper and lower radiator hoses, heater hoses and the water feed and return lines to/from the turbo and the coolant feed and return from the oil cooler.

Basically replace all the hoses on the engine now that it is up to 175K

Myself I would also throw and new fan, T-stat, and radiator in it.

Do these things and assuming the car has been maintained then you put everything in your odds.

Oh I assume since you bough a high mileage car, you dont mind wrenching them and since your in CA you dont have to fight iron worms so that is half the battle.
767skyking likes this.

89 Shadow ES 2.5 T2 +20's A555 sold
86 TurboZ CS 2.2 T2 +20's A555
90 Daytona ES 2.5 T1 A523
90 Datyona Shelby VNT needs work
00 Durango SLT+ 5.9 4x4
02 Grand Cherokee 4.7 4x4
03 PT GT Black 5 sp Stg 1
05 PT GT Silver 5 Spd Conv
06 PT GT Cool Vanilla 5 spd Conv
06 PT Base Marine Blue 40TE Conv
15 Grand Cherokee Overland 5.7 QD2