Advertisements
Creaky Rear End..............on my PT

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By Ray_Dockrey

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 21 Apr 2013, 07:09 pm
Cool Cruiser

Default Creaky Rear End..............on my PT

Hi all, I was wondering if anybody was or has experienced the rear end creaking mainly on rebound over bumps.

I just replaced the lower lateral link on the Watts (ball joint was shot). The rest of the components seemed nice and tight.

I sprayed a generous amount of penetrating fluid on the pivot point on the bell crank of the Watts, just for giggles.

I also greased up the other "ball joint" on the upper lateral attached to the bell crank.

I was wondering if the swing arms on the axle were the culprit.

Just wondered if anyone has had to screw with this, and what they did.
Red tint tails, chrome trimmed grille, custom towel rack buttonless flamed shifter, auto dimming rear view, Homelink remote transmitter, driver seat drawer, MOPAR sub, lowered 1" rear, MOPAR/Borla dual tipped exhaust, chrome trimmed GT gauge/airbag surround, front 35% tint, and the ever so important Fuzzy Dice
Old 21 Apr 2013, 08:22 pm
Senior Cruiser

Default Re: Creaky Rear End..............on my PT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Motorhead View Post
Hi all, I was wondering if anybody was or has experienced the rear end creaking mainly on rebound over bumps.

I just replaced the lower lateral link on the Watts (ball joint was shot). The rest of the components seemed nice and tight.

I sprayed a generous amount of penetrating fluid on the pivot point on the bell crank of the Watts, just for giggles.

I also greased up the other "ball joint" on the upper lateral attached to the bell crank.

I was wondering if the swing arms on the axle were the culprit.

Just wondered if anyone has had to screw with this, and what they did.
Most creaks in the rear end come from the rear struts. They get dried out, or leak, causing metal on medal travel contact.

Also the mounting surfaces for the springs can cause creaking as well if they become dry rotted. They are large rubber pads on each end of the springs that dampen the felt bound and rebound when you go over a bump, when they dry out they become brittle and can creak and crack a lot.

When was the last time you did the rear suspension?
Old 22 Apr 2013, 05:31 am
Senior Cruiser

Yours should have the rear swaybar. It could be the swaybar bushings or the end links. I added a rear swaybar to mine from a junker in a salvage and I noticed I get just a little bit of noise going over speed bumps. Haven't tackled it yet since its not a major issue.
Busted_PT likes this.
Old 22 Apr 2013, 05:12 pm
Cool Cruiser

Thanks for the replies.

I just put rear shocks on about a month or so ago, so I know it is not that.

I'll have to pull the wheels and see what the spring seat dampers look like from that angle. While I was under the car, everything,( including the sway bar) looked fine.

Right now, I'm sure being it's a little warmer outside, I could not get it to creak, yet this morning it was doing it's thing over bumps, of course being 20 degrees colder too. I guess it don't like the cold either...... C'MON WARMTH!

I have been totally amazed on how quiet this car has been, especially at 117,000 miles, so obviously when something starts making noise, it really stands out.
Red tint tails, chrome trimmed grille, custom towel rack buttonless flamed shifter, auto dimming rear view, Homelink remote transmitter, driver seat drawer, MOPAR sub, lowered 1" rear, MOPAR/Borla dual tipped exhaust, chrome trimmed GT gauge/airbag surround, front 35% tint, and the ever so important Fuzzy Dice