PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
Fan question

Like Tree1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 22 Apr 2013, 06:44 pm
Regular Cruiser

Default Fan question

Hi, the fan on my 03 cruiser won't operate at the higher speed. I bought a new fan at a junkyard but the shroud is broken so I want to just take the motor out and put it in the original shroud (granted the "new" motor works). Has anyone ever taken the motor out of the shroud? Is there an easier way to take it out and also put it in the non-broken shroud? Thanks!
Old 23 Apr 2013, 02:54 am
Fanatic Cruiser

Default Re: Fan question

I've worked in a junk yard for many years(not anymore) and there are some fans that are bolted in and some are riveted in. Look at how the blade is attached to the fan. it has a bolt or a clip (sorry I haven't had my Pt fan off) The hardest part is getting the blade off. After that it is easy to put back together.

FEBRUARY CRUISER OF THE MONTH
Old 27 Apr 2013, 02:49 pm
Regular Cruiser

Hi. So, I have been doing some research but I'm still a little unclear on when each speed of the fan is supposed to kick on. Here is what I am learning:

Low Speed: When A/C is turned on, no matter how cold/hot engine is (unless low on freon in which case low speed will not work)

High Speed: When temp guage reaches mid-point (or shortly thereafter).

I unplugged the currently installed fan and plugged in the "new" fan. The new fan did not work when I turned the A/C on. Neither did the currently installed fan. I know I have some kind of A/C problem, so I'm not surprised the low speed isn't working for either fan.

Both fans kicked on shortly after the temp gauge hit the mid-point. Both spun at the same speed. However, it seems to me that the high speed isn't very high as far as RPM goes. I was under the assumption that the high speed was a lot more powerful than it is, but maybe I over-estimated. The RPM at high speed made me think at first that it was in fact low speed, which has caused my confusion
Old 27 Apr 2013, 03:39 pm
Senior Cruiser

My high speed comes on when ever the AC is on. I can't hear the low speed run.
Old 27 Apr 2013, 05:25 pm
Fresh Cruiser

The motor is held in with 3 'self-tapping' type bolts
<a href="h
sorry tried to post image...bear with me
Old 27 Apr 2013, 06:29 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Someone show me how to post pics....

Last edited by mopar345; 27 Apr 2013 at 06:46 pm.
Old 07 Jul 2013, 12:48 pm
Regular Cruiser

Hi everyone, bumping this post.

I found a link on another post that explains when each fan speed should kick on, so hopefully others will find this useful also:

http://www.hugginsnet.com/ptcruiser/...ool_Tshoot.pdf

Page 22 shows the chart. So, the high speed kicks on when you reach a certain temp/speed, or if the a/c is on. Low speed comes on at lower temperatures/speed.

2 questions - My PT, when operating normally, runs with the temp needle directly in the middle. What temperature is that?

Also, I've heard that the fan might not work properly if the a/c isn't working properly (low on freon, etc), but I'm having trouble finding facts on this. Anyone know any truth to this? Thanks!
Old 07 Jul 2013, 08:07 pm
Regular Cruiser

I think your original fan and the junkyard fan have the same problem: the high speed isn't working.
Try this and see if you get the same result with both motors:

How to test my radiator fan?

I predict you will see the same thing with both fans. It's possible to take the motor apart and replace the worn-out brushes which are causing the problem. Or you could buy a new fan with a lifetime warranty.
Old 07 Jul 2013, 08:47 pm
Regular Cruiser

Thanks zamfir, I think that I have done enough research and testing to come to the conclusion that both fans don't work on high speed but I'll do the test from your link (using Drew's idea of using a battery charger) to get the final answer. I think I'll look up a post on how to take out and rebuild the fan motor since it's probably cheaper and I have a fan to work on and can still drive the car at the same time.
zamfir2 likes this.
Old 07 Jul 2013, 11:35 pm
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by bjagd02 View Post
Hi, the fan on my 03 cruiser won't operate at the higher speed.
Check the wiring.
From the fuse box right through to the two relays on the left side of the radiator.
I had fan problems and it turned out to be a frayed wire.
Cost nothing to fix.
You can trace the wires from the fan by getting under the car and locating the wires that go into the fan motor.
Follow the path and color back to the fuse box and up to the relays.
Make sure all connections are tight, connector pins are well seated and nothing is rubbing. Also check that there is continuity between all wires in the circuit.
Repair any faults (cut out the bad section and splice in a fresh piece of wire).
Tie-wrap all the wires securely to the car.

There is also a way to check the relays, one is by simply swapping their position.
There is another way to check for continuity on the relays themselves but I need some one with more experience then me to jump in and explain how.